Basically I work at Asda on a seasonal contract when I'm not at Uni, meaning I work at Christmas, Easter and in the Summer Holidays.

This summer I worked 1 day. I phoned my manager up straight after finishing Uni, gave her the dates I could work, which was all Summer apart from 1 week of holiday. She was supposed to give me regular shifts I heard nothing for a while but eventually after phoning up loads, got 1 shift. I did the shift, did some training and they said they'd be in contact to arrange more shifts. They never did.

Over the summer, I'd call them up at least once a week, ask to arrange hours, only to be told I'd get a call back when they knew. This went on up until this week, the last call I made was like...Saturday?

I get a letter through today from a manager saying my contract is at risk (?) because I've made no effort to contact the store (?) and haven't done work this summer (?), and they've been unable to contact me via letter (they have sent me no letter except for this one) or phone (someone has always been in on my home phone to take a messages, and I havent missed any calls on my mobile) so I should phone them within 48 hours.

What should I do about this? I called the woman at the store, she wasn't in so I gave my story to someone else working in the personnel department.

Has the Pit had any disputes like this and what's the best thing to do?
Given that you have to ring up to be given shifts, I'm guessing you're on a zero hours contract. In which case you're probably screwed.

All you can really do is explain the situation and hope they decide to keep you on.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Given that you have to ring up to be given shifts, I'm guessing you're on a zero hours contract. In which case you're probably screwed.

All you can really do is explain the situation and hope they decide to keep you on.

Zero Hours contract is such a bad idea.
Find a different job maybe? Contractual work is such bs. They really don't owe you any hours and sounds like them dicking you around is politely telling you to eff off. Also, welcome to the world of bureaucratic red tape dancing aroundness.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Looks like its time to find a job
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Quote by So-Cal
ring them up and say hey asda i ain't gonna be your bitch

Fantastic
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by Acϵ♠
Find a different job maybe? Contractual work is such bs. They really don't owe you any hours and sounds like them dicking you around is politely telling you to eff off. Also, welcome to the world of bureaucratic red tape dancing aroundness.

I've only got a year left of my degree so this was going to be my last summer working for them. The discount card is nice though.
****ing zero hours contracts man. All you can really do is keep ringing them. Another possibility would be to have a word with the Citizens Advice Bureau, see what they say.
You silly Brits and your employment contracts.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Tell them that if they don't give you the desired shifts you're gonna make a thread in The Pit!
Quote by Jackal58
You silly Brits and your employment contracts.

It's not really that different to at will employment.

There's no obligation to provide work and so the employer can effectively dismiss someone for whatever reason they see fit by not giving them hours.

I thought you'd love contracts like that.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
You could always just get a actual job AND go to school. That's what most people in your position do. Unless they're scholarship or everything is paid for them.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
You could always just get a actual job AND go to school. That's what most people in your position do. Unless they're scholarship or everything is paid for them.

Time is pretty short when I'm at Uni because I'm doing a degree which is really heavy on the contact hours and most weekends I'm working doing lab reports a lot of the time.
I get that, but there's always a reason not to. It just depends on how bad you want it, I guess. You can find time if you want/have to do it.

Otherwise you'll just have to keep trying as you are and hope you find a generous employer that'll do what you want.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
It's different over here. Part-time jobs are pretty much the only way a student can make any money and continue studying at a decent level. Only problem is, zero hours contracts are starting to become the norm for part-time positions.
Quote by strat0blaster
I get that, but there's always a reason not to. It just depends on how bad you want it, I guess. You can find time if you want/have to do it.

Otherwise you'll just have to keep trying as you are and hope you find a generous employer that'll do what you want.

Well considering 9-5 days at Uni I don't really have a lot of time to get a job. I'm not in terrible need for it but it's irrelevant to the matter at hand, my employers blatantly lying, saying I haven't been seeking any work, when I've all the time in the world free to work.
they're probably just messing you about

you seem like the kind of person people **** with just for shits and gigs
Quote by strat0blaster

Just because I'm detecting a bit of a tone in your post here I should probably clarify a couple of points for TS (as I have friends who also work on this type of contract).

Seasonal contracts are pretty common across supermarkets. They give you a contract which only obliges you to a few hours per year and then whenever you're in town you're kept on the books so they can use you. This isn't TS being spoilt and wanting his employer to bend over backwards, it's them not responding when they are the ones that offer this kind of common contract. I don't really know why you're insisting he get a "actual job" when there is a fairly commonly offered alternative far more in his favour.

But this issue in the thread isn't just TS complaining about his employer not just doing what he wants, it's that they're threatening to fire him and saying he is not fulfilling his contracted hours when it is them that are not letting him do so. He is being held responsible and risking having being fired on his CV for something he is doing quite the opposite of.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Just because I'm detecting a bit of a tone in your post here I should probably clarify a couple of points for TS (as I have friends who also work on this type of contract).

Seasonal contracts are pretty common across supermarkets. They give you a contract which only obliges you to a few hours per year and then whenever you're in town you're kept on the books so they can use you. This isn't TS being spoilt and wanting his employer to bend over backwards, it's them not responding when they are the ones that offer this kind of common contract. I don't really know why you're insisting he get a "actual job" when there is a fairly commonly offered alternative far more in his favour.

But this issue in the thread isn't just TS complaining about his employer not just doing what he wants, it's that they're threatening to fire him and saying he is not fulfilling his contracted hours when it is them that are not letting him do so. He is being held responsible and risking having being fired on his CV for something he is doing quite the opposite of.

Thanks for your support.

I know a couple of girls in my year employed at the same store on seasonal contracts, haven't been in contract since last year but they were getting their 6 weeks of summer work last year, when I was only on a temporary contract.

I got a zero-hours pay slip in the post today...saying I am contracted for 14 hours on it.
Wear your ****ing pants dude. If I were you on my first call when they would've said "we will call you back" I would've replied " NO BITCH! YOU DON'T CALL ME. I CALL YOU IF I WANT TO WORK!"

Gotta show these bitch who's the bawss.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quit and work somewhere else. Obviously you aren't giving up any money by quitting as you're not even working any hours.
Can you document your attempts at contact?

If not you're screwed.

The question that comes to my mind is why, after a few weeks of no work, weren't you standing in the supervisor's office handling this face-to-face?

It appears that until you got the 'letter' that you weren't really that unhappy about not having to go to work...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Sep 10, 2013,
TS, some semi-helpful advice- talk to your store's Personnel Manager, if you're lucky enough to have one who isn't a complete knob. The one at my store is great and will often help out in these kinds of disputes.

It could just be that they are overspending on wages and are looking to cut employees loose to save money, in these cases contracts like yours are the easiest to scrap. If that's the case there's pretty much no point appealing or disputing anything because long story short they just no longer need you there.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Arby911
Can you document your attempts at contact?

If not you're screwed.

The question that comes to my mind is why, after a few weeks of no work, weren't you standing in the supervisor's office handling this face-to-face?

It appears that until you got the 'letter' that you weren't really that unhappy about not having to go to work...

Because whenever I'd go in, the relevant person wasn't there and my message was just constantly being passed along.
Quote by entity0009
It could just be that they are overspending on wages and are looking to cut employees loose to save money, in these cases contracts like yours are the easiest to scrap. If that's the case there's pretty much no point appealing or disputing anything because long story short they just no longer need you there.

This. My store is pretty much always overspent on wages, and seasonals are the first to be cut each week. If the personnel manager isn't there when you go in, speak to every other manager you see for hours, usually you'll get some if you aren't picky about which department.
Hmmmm... Pie.

Quote by tryandstopme
i think your cereal is rather gay sir.

Quote by ibanez for life

Quote by Haha, Crackhead

This thread just screams,"Hey! Look at me!! I illegally download thousands of gigs of music!!!"

and what exactly does your username scream...?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
It's not really that different to at will employment.

There's no obligation to provide work and so the employer can effectively dismiss someone for whatever reason they see fit by not giving them hours.

I thought you'd love contracts like that.

I get more enjoyment out of telling unwanted people they are unwanted.

What is the point of a contract then?
I agree to give you nothing in return for doing nothing?
Wtf. Stop killing trees for stupidity.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
You're a ghost, dude. Stop working and start haunting.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Quote by MadClownDisease

No no, no tone intended, and this reply is mega-late. I get part time hours and contract work for holidays when places are short staffed - I've done that before, and it's good to have when you can, but it's inconsistent. Didn't suggest he was spoiled either - so if it came across that way, my bad, but what I mean by 'actual' job is a job that he works with hours in shifts on a regular schedule, as in not temp work or holiday contracting.

And I get that it's unfair too, but these sorts of problems are generally less frequent in a job where you pull in regular hours on schedule, which is why I suggested it.

And TS I read your other post, but I'm not gonna go back to re-quote, so I'll reply here. I get that it's hard, and doing a 9-5 leaves you little time, but you can do it, depending on how important it is to you. Not easy, mind you, but it is completely possible.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you