Hi, I'm guitar player since 4-5 years and I mainly play progressive metal and high-gain stuff.
Until now to play guitar with my macbook white 13'' Early-2009, and a cable like this http://www.emporiomusicale.it/images/articoli/460923_articolo_foto_1.jpg
using Guitar rig 5 and then export the file to Audacity to synchronize it with the backingtrack.
But now I wanna change this recording method buying a external audio interface, record my guitar track with Amplitube 3 and then use a software like ableton, which is included in focusrite audio interfaces, or logic 9, cubase etc...; for the audio interface I'm undecided between the Scarlett 2i2, the Saffire 6 and the Saffire pro 14..
(My macbook has 2Gb RAM and 2Ghz processor...they aren't that great but never mind... )
I play with active pickups in my guitar, will this cause some errors with the audio interface as they have lots of inputs signal?
Which one do you recommend? ( my budget is between 120-190&euro... the Scarlett 2i2 is 135€, the Saffire 6 160€ and the saffire pro 14 185€.
I wanna buy a good interface that will satisfy not only for some days/weeks... : :
Thanks in advance!

Here you can hear the sound I can get from Guitar Rig and a cable to connect the guitar to my mac... ( no audio interface )
http://soundcloud.com/ludovico-cuoghi
Last edited by Ludo950 at Sep 10, 2013,
In the topic there aren't the Scarlett 2i2 and the saffire pro 14... ahaha ):
I need a audio interface for a guitar, i don't need so much input o stuff like that... I need 2 input and a good audio quality for the guitar ;D
Quote by Ludo950
In the topic there aren't the Scarlett 2i2 and the saffire pro 14... ahaha ):
I need a audio interface for a guitar, i don't need so much input o stuff like that... I need 2 input and a good audio quality for the guitar ;D

2i2 version is not in, because it has no pad button.

without this button some strong input signals may clip even with the input gain at zero.

the 2i4 doesn't have this problem (has a pad).

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
2i2 version is not in, because it has no pad button.

without this button some strong input signals may clip even with the input gain at zero.

the 2i4 doesn't have this problem (has a pad).

Uhm, I don't understand what you mean with "2i2 is not in( ? ) because it has no pad button"... what is a pad button?
Quote by Ludo950
Uhm, I don't understand what you mean with "2i2 is not in( ? ) because it has no pad button"... what is a pad button?

He means it's not in the sticky because it lacks a pad button. The 2i2 has a reputation for clipping even fairly weak signals with little to no gain at all on the interface. The 2i4 has a pad which attenuates the signal (lowers the gain) by a fixed amount before it reaches the gain knob so it doesn't have the clipping issue as you have better control over the gain than the 2i2.
Very clear ( I hadn't noticed the pad button of the Scarlett 2i4 before your comment so I didn't understand what xxdarrenxx was talking about)
So, this is the sound I can get from my guitar, a cable to connect it to my mac and guitar pro: https://soundcloud.com/ludovico-cuoghi

Using this Scarlett 2i4 you assure me I'll improve my guitar sound? What benefits would I get buying an audio interface like this one?

Last edited by Ludo950 at Sep 11, 2013,
2i2 won't work for you due to the input...the 2i4 should work. I recommend Roland Duo Capture.
which "duo capture"? the Duo Capture EX? it costs as the Scarlett 2i2... is this better than the scarlett?
Quote by Ludo950
Very clear ( I hadn't noticed the pad button of the Scarlett 2i4 before your comment so I didn't understand what xxdarrenxx was talking about)
So, this is the sound I can get from my guitar, a cable to connect it to my mac and guitar pro: https://soundcloud.com/ludovico-cuoghi

Using this Scarlett 2i4 you assure me I'll improve my guitar sound? What benefits would I get buying an audio interface like this one?

The Scarlett 2i4 essentially has its own soundcard, which is likely to be more powerful than the card in your Mac. It's much better for recording things that are higher quality than demo-level quality. You should get a cleaner signal through the 2i4 than you'd get with the Guitar Pro.
I own both a Guitar Pro and a 2i4 - definitely use the 2i4 a lot more. The Guitar Pro is good for quick and dirty takes. But if I want it to sound better (read: 90% of the time), I use the 2i4.
^^That

Basically you get a faster responding audio feedback, and no delay (latency).

It's like 1080p for sound, figuratively off course.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Ludo950
which "duo capture"? the Duo Capture EX? it costs as the Scarlett 2i2... is this better than the scarlett?

Yes, the EX one. Better pre amps than 2i2, better drivers too
You will be happier with an interface. The interface is basically an external sound card. That will allow your computer to work less, you won't have any delay etc. and you get a much cleaner signal.

As the others have said 2i4 has better qualities, but if money is a concern don't worry about the 2i2. The only problem is the clipping and that is remedied by lowering the pickups. I have a 2i2 and use active EMGs. No issues at all with clipping that way.

I'm not trying to deter you from the other models as they will ultimately be better, just letting you know the 2i2 is still a good option.
Have a look at the Mackie Onyx Blackjack, too!
I'd indeed choose it over both the 2i2 and the 2i4.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by BananaJoe
Yes, the EX one. Better pre amps than 2i2, better drivers too

Bullshit, the pres on the 2i4 are miles better and its the same price. Also, the included software with the 2i4 is worth the price alone.

Have a look at the Mackie Onyx Blackjack, too!
I'd indeed choose it over both the 2i2 and the 2i4.

Also bullshit. I had some of the worst experiences with Mackie drivers on both the Mac & PC end (Worked in a studio with a Mackie Onyx 1640). Also, the preamps in the 1640 were meh compared to mine.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Also bullshit. I had some of the worst experiences with Mackie drivers on both the Mac & PC end (Worked in a studio with a Mackie Onyx 1640). Also, the preamps in the 1640 were meh compared to mine.

I didn't really spend a lot of time messing with the drivers' settings, but having had both side by side and having tried to record the same things with both, my vote goes indeed to the Mackie.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by lockwolf
Bullshit, the pres on the 2i4 are miles better and its the same price.

No bullshit, Roland EX comes with VS pre amps, make a reasearch on it. It also handle guitars appropriately contrary of 2i2 and 2i4.
The 2i4 has no problem with guitars? I remember hearing some BS about the pad on the 2i4 not being good for guitars... but that was from a user of this board which wasn't backed up with any evidence. I've used my Scarlett6 no problem with guitars, pad on or off (though normally on because I use active electronics in my main guitar.)

The 2i4's have the same pre's has Focusrites top end gear, we're talking pre's found in interfaces that'll set you back $2000 or more.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 17, 2013,
Quote by ChemicalFire
The 2i4 has no problem with guitars? I remember hearing some BS about the pad on the 2i4 not being good for guitars... but that was from a user of this board which wasn't backed up with any evidence.

How there is no evidence? Everybody know it clips with anything that is not very low output.
Oh no I have sensitive pre's that sound awesome, that makes them totally useless!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Spambot_2
I didn't really spend a lot of time messing with the drivers' settings, but having had both side by side and having tried to record the same things with both, my vote goes indeed to the Mackie.

I really wasn't impressed by the Mackie Onyx series and I was playing with the $1600 board. The drivers were terrible. On Mac, it wouldn't even work with my buddies Macbook Pro about 75% of the time which is a huge fail rate IMO. Even then, the Windows drivers weren't much better as I'd usually have to spend 30-60 minutes ****ing with it in order to get it to properly work with any DAW.

When it works, its a solid unit but all the driver issues I had were a huge turnoff, especially coming from a well respected brand like Mackie.

No bullshit, Roland EX comes with VS pre amps, make a reasearch on it. It also handle guitars appropriately contrary of 2i2 and 2i4.

The 2i4 handles guitars like its been said many times before. I've never been impressed with any of the Roland Pres and there is some muddiness in the DI guitars that you don't get with the 2i4.

Besides, Preamps are only part of the equation in an audio interface. There is also Analog To Digital conversion which Focusrite has some of the best A/D conversion out there in its price range.

If Focusrite is so bad for guitars, then I probably wasted a lot of money on my Saffire Pro 40 and hundreds of users here have wasted a few thousand bucks combined buying Focusrite gear.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp