Im getting a mesa mark v which has a 8ohm output, and my orange ppc412 has 16ohm input. I realize that the mismatch is an ok one but i dont want my amp running at half power since it might effect clipping and tube saturation aside from the tone difference.
Could someone direct me to a website that maybe trades music gear? Like trading my 4 16ohm speakers for 4 8ohm. Or if anyone is willing to buy 4 completly new V30s for a reasonable price id be willing to negotioate.
First off this is the wrong forum for this you need to goto the for sale forums

Secondly, just so you know you are not going to be able to properly match up 16ohms properly using four 8ohm speakers. When you hook a resistor up in parallel it decreases the resistance so a 4ohm connected in parallel to a 4ohm will actually create a 2ohm resistor, and a 4ohm connected in series to a 4ohm will actually create an 8ohm resistor. Using four 8ohm resistors (speakers) you will not be able to hit the proper resistance, this would make a 8ohm cab. You would have to use four 16ohm resistors to do the trick that way two pairs can be hooked up in parallel to drop each to 8 ohms then the two pairs can be hooked up in series to bring it back up to 16ohms. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you could rewire the current cab you have to properly hook it up to your amp.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
If I'm not mistaken the Mark V (like most amps of this caliber) will have a 4, 8 and 16 ohm tap. Shouldn't be an issue.

BTW - running an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cab doesn't mean you are running at half power. The power is the same, it is the impedance (resistance) that changes. Mesa's can run a 1 step mismatch safely anyway. Still, just set the amp to 16 and rock the **** out.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If I'm not mistaken the Mark V (like most amps of this caliber) will have a 4, 8 and 16 ohm tap. Shouldn't be an issue.

BTW - running an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cab doesn't mean you are running at half power. The power is the same, it is the impedance (resistance) that changes. Mesa's can run a 1 step mismatch safely anyway. Still, just set the amp to 16 and rock the **** out.

I would love it if the mark v had a 16ohm tap but im afriad it dosent. And i thought it does mean half power, all the forums im looking at tell me that its half power.
Quote by ne14t
First off this is the wrong forum for this you need to goto the for sale forums

Secondly, just so you know you are not going to be able to properly match up 16ohms properly using four 8ohm speakers. When you hook a resistor up in parallel it decreases the resistance so a 4ohm connected in parallel to a 4ohm will actually create a 2ohm resistor, and a 4ohm connected in series to a 4ohm will actually create an 8ohm resistor. Using four 8ohm resistors (speakers) you will not be able to hit the proper resistance, this would make a 8ohm cab. You would have to use four 16ohm resistors to do the trick that way two pairs can be hooked up in parallel to drop each to 8 ohms then the two pairs can be hooked up in series to bring it back up to 16ohms. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you could rewire the current cab you have to properly hook it up to your amp.

So how exactley should i go about this? my goal is to make my cab 8ohms, is there a way of wiring it into 8ohm? Ive asked alot of people and eveyone tells me either 4 ohms or 16 is the only way i can wire it. Also i couldn't see where the sale forum was, im sorry.
4 and 16 is all you can do with four 16ohm speakers together. You could disconnect two of them and run the remaining two in parallel with the result being 8ohms.

If they are two separate 8ohm outs, you could add a second input and basically make two 8ohm cabs in one enclosure. I assume the two 8ohm out are in parallel though which would be 4ohms each, which means you couldn't do this.
Quote by D_M_I

If they are two separate 8ohm outs, you could add a second input and basically make two 8ohm cabs in one enclosure. I assume the two 8ohm out are in parallel though which would be 4ohms each, which means you couldn't do this.

the mark v does have two 4 ohm outputs, and what you are suggesting is running it in stereo correct? the jacks at the back of my cab is one input and one output for daisychainging another cab.
Well I'll be damned. That's cray cray.

"Two 8 and two 4 Ohm SPEAKER OUTPUTS are provided and with these jacks almost any speaker cabinet configuration can be accommodated. The MARK V is not overly sensitive to impedance mismatches, so feel free to experiment with different cabinet schemes without fear of damage to your amplifier. Different loads will change the response, possibly to your liking. An 8 Ohm load will produce the punchiest, tightest sound and the maximum headroom. Keep in mind that the (power) tube life will be increased by running either an 8 or 4 Ohm overall load."

The mismatch is still fine (with this amp). If you end up thinking it is a big problem, just sell the Orange cab and get a Recto cab or a Splawn cab

Or at a minimum get a stereo cab (w 16 ohm speakers) and run each 8 ohm out into each side.

Either way, halving the impedance does not mean half power. With some amps (like mine), if you run the amp at half power all the time it is recommended to cut the cab ohms in half - that is true.
Quote by Angelus333
the mark v does have two 4 ohm outputs, and what you are suggesting is running it in stereo correct? the jacks at the back of my cab is one input and one output for daisychainging another cab.

I was thinking by just using two speakers, you could get an 8ohm cab.

IF the two outs from the head were 8ohms each, you could still use all four speakers and basically divide the cab and use it as two separate 8ohm cabs. I was kinda thinking out loud, lol. It won't work if they are parallel outs from the amp.
Last edited by D_M_I at Sep 10, 2013,
Like D M I is saying...

If you want to keep the cab you have the cheapest thing to do without buying new speakers is to have the cab rewired in 'Parallel/Series' and make it a stereo cab with 8 ohms on each side. You will have to get a new jack plate too but that seems like an easy fix. Otherwise, just sell it and get a new cab. You should have no trouble getting a decent price out of your PPC.

wire the speaker in paralle for 4 ohms and use the 4 ohm out on the amp?

that is what i would do anyway.

Quote by Angelus333
I would love it if the mark v had a 16ohm tap but im afriad it dosent. And i thought it does mean half power, all the forums im looking at tell me that its half power.

for a solid state head it would mean ~half power operation. but AFAIK the transformer keeps power output the same when using say a 4 ohm cab with the 4 ohm amp output vs. an 8 ohm cab with the 8 ohm output.

i don't know what the effective output of the amp would be with an impedance mismatch though. i know the amp isn't running at a more optimal efficiency at that point but . cath? kyle? colin? arby?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 10, 2013,
Actually, if all the speakers are 16 ohms now and it is a 16 ohm cab then it has to wired in Series/Parallel now.

Right guys?

16s in Series = 64 ohms
16s in Parallel = 4 ohms
16s in Series/Parallel = 16 ohms

So yes, if this part is correct and you strait replace all the speakers for 8's then you would have an 8 ohm cab.

Still seems like a lot of work, when replacing the jack plate would be easier me thinks. Or - do nothing at all as you can safely run your current cab with the Mark V (most Mesa Amps) just like the Manual says. Mesa Boogie is known for this ability.

Additionally, you may not even like your new Mark V with Vintage 30s and an Orange Cab. I'd just hold off dude.
Yes. Don't do it though. Just rewire your cab so all the speakers are in parallel and use the 4 ohm output on the amp.
Easy peasy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 10, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Still seems like a lot of work, when replacing the jack plate would be easier me thinks. Or - do nothing at all as you can safely run your current cab with the Mark V (most Mesa Amps) just like the Manual says. Mesa Boogie is known for this ability.

Additionally, you may not even like your new Mark V with Vintage 30s and an Orange Cab. I'd just hold off dude.

Your right, im going to hold off for a while, im trying to think ahead is all. would replacing the jack plate and running it in stereo be a bad thing? i dont know the disadvantages of running a cab in stereo.
Quote by Cathbard
Yes. Don't do it though. Just rewire your cab so all the speakers are in parallel and use the 4 ohm output on the amp.
Easy peasy.

whats the differece between 4ohm and 8ohm?
Nothing really. well, nothing you'll notice. Rewiring the cab to be 4 ohm is the logical and simplest solution to your problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Angelus333
whats the differece between 4ohm and 8ohm?

effectively nothing. you'd be using different coils in the transformer, which can have some tonal consequences but most likely you won't even notice.

-ae
First of all - The Mark V has Two 8-ohm and Two 4-ohm jacks, wired in parallel. The jacks are labeled for the impedance the amp wants to see.

One 8-ohm cabinet into one 8-ohm jack, or Two 16-ohm cabinets into the Two 8-ohm jacks

One 4-ohm cabinet into one 4-ohm jack, or Two 8-ohm cabinets into the Two 4-ohm jacks

The amp can tolerate a mismatch without a problem, so a 16-ohm cab can be used with the 8 ohm jack - with little consequence. Tube amps transformers are tapped for each impedance, so full power is available at all impedances. Unlike a solid-state power section which, if designed for max power at 4 ohms will run at half power with an 8 ohm load.

A safe mismatch, such as 16-ohm cab into the 8-ohm jack - may result in a bit of high-end rolloff and a grittier tone with slightly less output.

Here is more info on cab hookup for MESA amps: http://mesaboogie.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Speaker-Impedance-Matching-and-Hookup.pdf

Thanks!
Last edited by MESA/Boogie at Sep 12, 2013,
Quote by MESA/Boogie
First of all - The Mark V has Two 8-ohm and Two 4-ohm jacks, wired in parallel. The jacks are labeled for the impedance the amp wants to see.

One 8-ohm cabinet into one 8-ohm jack, or Two 16-ohm cabinets into the Two 8-ohm jacks

One 4-ohm cabinet into one 4-ohm jack, or Two 8-ohm cabinets into the Two 4-ohm jacks

The amp can tolerate a mismatch without a problem, so a 16-ohm cab can be used with the 8 ohm jack - with little consequence. Tube amps transformers are tapped for each impedance, so full power is available at all impedances. Unlike a solid-state power section which, if designed for max power at 4 ohms will run at half power with an 8 ohm load.

A safe mismatch, such as 16-ohm cab into the 8-ohm jack - may result in a bit of high-end rolloff and a grittier tone with slightly less output.

Here is more info on cab hookup for MESA amps: http://mesaboogie.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Speaker-Impedance-Matching-and-Hookup.pdf

Thanks!

well put

-ae
It'll work ok into a 16 ohm load and only reduce the power by 2 or 3 dB but why do it when rewiring the cab to a matching load is so simple? It aint rocket science, you just hook all the speakers in parallel and you have a 4 ohm load to plug into the 4 ohm output on the amp. Done.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MESA/Boogie

Thanks!

Welcome to Ultimate-Guitar. We talk about Mesa a fair bit in this forum so it great to see you here. I will own one of your amps someday I can promise you that

Thank you all for your input ive deicided just to leave the cab alone since i was wrong about the whole half power thing.
Looks like it is handled.

I loved my Mark V. Extremely versatile.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.