I have an Ibanez Soundgear Series SRX-705 in excellent condition, ordered from BassNW years ago. I recently uncased and GOT SOME USE OUT OF IT, jamming with a couple other guitarists.

Nice bass, btw! Only two peeves- the "natural" wood is sealed with clear coat, and the eq is an always-on configuration. The finish I can live with, but is it reasonably $ possible to have the circuitry changed? I'd like to be able to play this bass WITHOUT the eq. As it is, that 9 volt battery must always be in place or you have no bass sound AT ALL. That sucks.

Anyone?
I see 89 views but no replies. Guess that means keep the bass as is, or trade it? It's a very good product as reviewed by others. Maybe I'll get a second one without clear coat and with the option of playing sans eq. Someday. C'est la vie.
1.You won't find a SRX in NO only in a N finish.
2.A passive SRX is like a box head screwdriver it'll be a very one dimensional instrument.
3.Everybody who rates this bass a great bass is lying.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
1) I assume when you refer to how you dislike the "clearcoat" you're talking about the glossy finish correct? Basses and guitars all have some kind of finish or topcoat to protect the wood, you don't want your bass rotting or molding do you? The kind of finish is variable, there's thicker glossy poly and nitro finishes, flat satin finishes, or oil finishes (likely what you think of when you think "natural"). I don't think you'll find anything besides that glossy poly on an SRX705, as far as I'm aware Ibanez doesn't do anything else on that model. You could always have it stripped and refinished however you want, but that's a lot of work and/or an expensive job for a minor cosmetic change.

2) Lots of people complain about having to play with preamps "on" or using a 9v battery. If the battery is the biggest concern, I'd say just suck it up. They're not expensive, and you shouldn't be eating through them in any significant quantity. Keep a spare one in your gig bag or case and you shouldn't have any worries if one dies at an inopportune time, should you be worried about reliability.

If your concern is the actual eq, then there's a couple things you can do. You can just run the bass with the eq flat, with no boost or cut to your bass or mids (your bass has a 2 band) from the onboard eq. If you prefer that "passive" sound (and there is a difference with some preamps, some others are so transparent that there is little to none), you could bypass the preamp either by having a switch installed, or a push/pull pot which could conceivably allow for you to have a passive tone control as well. Alternatively you could bypass the wiring or remove the preamp and go straight out to the jack. Or you could just sell the Ibby and buy a passive bass.

EDIT: double ninja'd I'm super super slow at 3 am.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by dark Mass

3.Everybody who rates this bass a great bass is lying.

I've played much worse, that cost much more....

Anyway, on topic: Just set all the active EQ to neutral.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by Spanner93
I've played much worse, that cost much more....

Anyway, on topic: Just set all the active EQ to neutral.

I've owned a SRX705 for two years then sold it since it was constantly having intonation and tuning issues.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Tostitos
1) I assume when you refer to how you dislike the "clearcoat" you're talking about the glossy finish correct? Basses and guitars all have some kind of finish or topcoat to protect the wood, you don't want your bass rotting or molding do you? The kind of finish is variable, there's thicker glossy poly and nitro finishes, flat satin finishes, or oil finishes (likely what you think of when you think "natural"). I don't think you'll find anything besides that glossy poly on an SRX705, as far as I'm aware Ibanez doesn't do anything else on that model. You could always have it stripped and refinished however you want, but that's a lot of work and/or an expensive job for a minor cosmetic change.

2) Lots of people complain about having to play with preamps "on" or using a 9v battery. If the battery is the biggest concern, I'd say just suck it up. They're not expensive, and you shouldn't be eating through them in any significant quantity. Keep a spare one in your gig bag or case and you shouldn't have any worries if one dies at an inopportune time, should you be worried about reliability.

If your concern is the actual eq, then there's a couple things you can do. You can just run the bass with the eq flat, with no boost or cut to your bass or mids (your bass has a 2 band) from the onboard eq. If you prefer that "passive" sound (and there is a difference with some preamps, some others are so transparent that there is little to none), you could bypass the preamp either by having a switch installed, or a push/pull pot which could conceivably allow for you to have a passive tone control as well. Alternatively you could bypass the wiring or remove the preamp and go straight out to the jack. Or you could just sell the Ibby and buy a passive bass.

EDIT: double ninja'd I'm super super slow at 3 am.

Yes, Oil Finish = Natural in my post.

Thx for the suggestions re: the eq. That would be more important imo. The bass I have is very good otherwise.