Play in a heavy blues rock band and really dig analog gear... Been looking for a cool vintage tremolo pedal, something that isn't digital, and preferably something that has true bypass. Not super keen on "botique" pedals, just as much as I'm not super keen on gourmet food.

I considered the Boss TR-2, but everybody has those... and I have loads of Boss pedals as it is, figured I would try something different. How does the Electro-Harmonix Pulsar stand up against other popular trems? I'm looking at the old big box version, same casing as the old Big Muffs... to me they look way cooler, and I hate the micro EHX versions of their pedals. But is the new one exceedingly better? The old ones seem to be more expensive, so not sure if it's worth it for it's simple 'vintage' status (can't buy the big ones new anymore).
Also, is the old big box Pulsar true bypass?

Cheers!
There are two vintage ones on ebay now for $80ish. I don't know if they are the ones youa re talking about, but they are there. that's not expensive at all man.

I don't understand your aversion with so-called "boutique' stuff though. Always going to be a safer option than vintage. Real old EHX stuff can be a bitch to power too, unless you go the battery route.

Something like this would suffice. Not mass produced i the sense of Boss or EHX, but not exactly "boutique" either. Explore all your options before closing doors man
http://deluxeguitars.com.au/earthquakerdevices-hummingbird.asp

Vintage pedals are fickle shit. I wouldn't have one on a gigging board myself. It would always be nagging in the back of my mind, like "****, what if it just suddenly decides to fell TOO old" or something.

i'm not trying to be critical or have a crack at you or anything, just curious and looking to help
I'll second the Hummingbird. I have one on my board, and the LFO switch can make some seriously fun sounds, especially when you turn the Rate knob past 2oclock on "fast."
Quote by T7E
There are two vintage ones on ebay now for $80ish. I don't know if they are the ones youa re talking about, but they are there. that's not expensive at all man.

I don't understand your aversion with so-called "boutique' stuff though. Always going to be a safer option than vintage. Real old EHX stuff can be a bitch to power too, unless you go the battery route.

Something like this would suffice. Not mass produced i the sense of Boss or EHX, but not exactly "boutique" either. Explore all your options before closing doors man
http://deluxeguitars.com.au/earthquakerdevices-hummingbird.asp

Vintage pedals are fickle shit. I wouldn't have one on a gigging board myself. It would always be nagging in the back of my mind, like "****, what if it just suddenly decides to fell TOO old" or something.

i'm not trying to be critical or have a crack at you or anything, just curious and looking to help

No worries man, I get ya! And yeah, those two vintage ones on eBay were the ones I was looking at... they're only $80 but I live in Australia so it's an extra $30 just to ship it over. Overall I'd be looking at $120 AUD for the pedal, so not sure if it's worth it.

As for the Hummingbird, cheapest I could find is around the $160 mark (incl postage)... probably wouldn't want to go that high cos I don't really know how much I'd use the thing. I was only really gravitating toward the Pulsar because a) it looks cool, b) it's 'vintage' (out of production for that model), c) does what it's meant to do, and d) seemed relatively cheap (especially if it's true bypass - not sure on that).

I'm a sucker for cool looking pedals, especially if they're hard to find... would $120 be too steep for that old Pulsar on eBay? Seems in perfect condition, even comes with the box etc...

Speaking of True Bypass... how hard would it be to "make" a pedal true bypass? Isn't it just a different switch?
Last edited by loop-de-luke at Sep 11, 2013,
Oh also, as for the EHX powering options... I've got a Voodoo Labs PP2+ that comes with a cable to power the weird sockets on old EHX pedals (like the big muff). From what I can gather the Pulsar uses 9v DC so shouldn't be a problemo. And with the botique stuff, I just can't justify spending double on a botique trem pedal... something like a fuzz or distortion or delay even, I might because I'd use it more... but yeah, I wouldn't wanna spend anywhere near $200 big ones for a trem pedal, unless I had a good chance of reselling it for near the same price if I didn't like it/didn't use it much
I have been looking into getting a trem pedal myself, and have similar wants as you.... The full tone supra trem 1 seems to be the winner for me at the moment
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)