what would you want to see in a label that you wanna cooperate with?

I am thinking of taking my studio name to the label level.

I'd basically look for talented individuals/bands, record or mix their material, market and sell it, share part of the revenue to the artist and keep the other bit for me.

In a nutshell it seems ok to me. but you guys think it's worth it? Has anybody ever done this? How successful is the idea? the indie label biz?
Honestly, I don't think labels are even a thing any more because who needs a label when you can just sell stuff on bandcamp or itunes without any assistance.
I guess you could offer a service to do that stuff for people, but I think calling that a label is a bit of a stretch.
Quote by captainsnazz
Honestly, I don't think labels are even a thing any more because who needs a label when you can just sell stuff on bandcamp or itunes without any assistance.
I guess you could offer a service to do that stuff for people, but I think calling that a label is a bit of a stretch.

See where you're coming from. I myself ditched the 'label' idea back in the days when I was recording.

Guess this would be the new age project studio label type of thingy.

Basically a mixing/mastering service, payed not prior to the service but from the revenue, by commission.
Quote by Vendetta V

Basically a mixing/mastering service, payed not prior to the service but from the revenue, by commission.

That seems like a silly way of doing it.

Everyone knows it's all about collectives now instead of labels psssh
Quote by Vendetta V
See where you're coming from. I myself ditched the 'label' idea back in the days when I was recording.

Guess this would be the new age project studio label type of thingy.

Yeah but doesn't that mean you'd have to research the band beforehand to make sure their not totally unknown so that it doesn't flop and you worked for nothing ?
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Yeah but doesn't that mean you'd have to research the band beforehand to make sure their not totally unknown so that it doesn't flop and you worked for nothing ?

that's exactly what I'm thinking.

I think people are more prone to do proper mixing/mastering on a track they believe will sell. Not just regulate views and nothing else.

My vision is to put them on my youtube, generate ad revenue, bandcamp, generate sales revenue, etc.

Guess this is a way to both keep me exploring the artist base and also earning money.
And I think people would be more prone to paying via commission than straight ahead cash (or paypal for that matter)

I still am skeptical about this idea myself so yeah.
Stop thinking about it and get started! Just because it might not've been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done! You probably wont get rich over night. But if you find some talented bands and do your work well, it might be a success, who knows? Certainly noone in here..
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Quote by Vendetta V

I'd basically look for talented individuals/bands, record or mix their material, market and sell it, share part of the revenue to the artist and keep the other bit for me.

Yep, that's what a label does. So far so good.
If you're thinking of starting a label in the modern music industry, you've really got to offer the artist something they don't have easy access to themselves. Like for instance even if I recorded a whole album and sold it on bandcamp without a label, I'd still have no idea who to go to if I wanted some vinyls pressed or whatever.

It's also all about making contacts. One way is to see if you can get some kind of work experience in the music industry, some labels take people on. You'll probably be doing mundane tasks like making coffee and helping with paperwork but you gotta start somewhere. Of course that might be going too far towards the major label side of things but you could always leave then use the knowledge and contacts you've made to your advantage when it comes to starting your own label.

Maybe just to start, create a label purely to put your own music/friends music out, try and build a presence in your area then expand from there?
I wouldn't call it anything but a good idea. I'm sure there are local artists that you could talent scout. Find some good unsigned artists and feed off of one another until some revenue comes from it. I wouldn't expect you to make money over night but if you're good at promoting then eventually you might sign a star-in-the-making and it could launch both of you into success.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Like for instance even if I recorded a whole album and sold it on bandcamp without a label, I'd still have no idea who to go to if I wanted some vinyls pressed or whatever.

finding someone to press your music to vinyl is easy peezee. the benefit of having a label release the record would be not having to front all the money by yourself, + promotion, distribution, &c. -- stuff that is harder to do by yourself when no one knows who you are & you are busy with other stuff (like touring or working a shitty day job because you cannot pay rent from your music).

Maybe just to start, create a label purely to put your own music/friends music out, try and build a presence in your area then expand from there?

this is good advice.

don't quit your day job, though.
Quote by neidnarb11890
finding someone to press your music to vinyl is easy peezee. the benefit of having a label release the record would be not having to front all the money by yourself, + promotion, distribution, &c. -- stuff that is harder to do by yourself when no one knows who you are & you are busy with other stuff (like touring or working a shitty day job because you cannot pay rent from your music).

this is good advice.

don't quit your day job, though.

Ahh I just used that as an example because I myself have no idea who to go to.

I think 'don't quit your day job' is just standard if you wanna do most things in the industry.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Ahh I just used that as an example because I myself have no idea who to go to.

I think 'don't quit your day job' is just standard if you wanna do most things in the industry.

TTNG is the bees knees, my friend.

Also, if you want to do better by bands, instead of just marketing and having rights to distribution, be a publicizer. The advice I normally give to bands is that shows gain you more fans and money than CD's. I'd try to make friends with tons of local venues. Scout talent, bring them reliable and good bands that have a fanbase, and they'll start coming to you more. Those bands will then want to record with you since you helped them and they have money to record from the shows.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Maybe you could establish an "early stage VC" equivalent of music. Sign on a huge number of artists, have them record, release, do a bit of marketing. Maybe 1-2 break through as hits. Sell them to a bigger label.

Or am I just describing an Indie label here?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Quote by Tobyflyr
Stop thinking about it and get started! Just because it might not've been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done! You probably wont get rich over night. But if you find some talented bands and do your work well, it might be a success, who knows? Certainly noone in here..

thanks for the encouraging post

and thanks to everybody else guys. Actually if you have any good fellas who might need a mixing engineer for this type of deal, let them contact me k?

as for the actual quit your day job, I think that's pretty much the same in ANY industry