I noticed this article on my facebook feed this morning and after consulting with a reputable local pedal builder, I'm going to be adding one of these to my board ASAP.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19549-state-of-the-stomp-build-a-preset-volume-box

As a single channel amp user, this is something that really tickles my fancy. It's a Preset Volume Stompbox, which be a very welcome addition to my setup and provide an easier, more consistent way to control my volume and gain as compared to using my volume knob or a volume pedal. It's actually a really simple pedal, easy to build, and I'm kind of baffled that I really haven't thought of such a device before.

A brief explanation of how I'll use this pedal:
Since I'm using a single channel amp, I'll turn this on and set my desired level of volume and gain needed for my main, dirty rhythm sound. I don't use or need a "true clean" sound at the moment, and if for some reason I have that need I'm likely to go to an A/B amp setup, anyhow. I'll likely have this pedal set at about 70-to-80 percent volume. Then, when I turn the box off, I'll go straight to a higher gain, full volume lead tone.

Also, I'm having this pedal built with the treble bleed the article mentions, to combat any sort of unwanted loss in the highs I might experience due to the volume differential.

I'm very happy that this pedal will allow me to have a nice volume boost for leads and keep my rhythm tone just where I want it. The only thing I'm not sure of at the moment is where this will fit on my board. I'm uncertain if it will go best before the whole chain, after my drives but before the wah and slight touch of delay I use, or after the entire chain. (Chain goes Drive 1 > Drive 2 > Wah > Delay > Noise Gate > Amp)

Thought this was a cool idea I'd share for all of the single channel amp users out there!
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
You could build this into a guitar with any DPDT switch. Just a thought for you.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Look into the EHX Signal Pad. That's BASICALLY what you're looking for. Have someone do a custom build if you're looking for treble bleed...not sure if the Signal Pad has that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Look into the EHX Signal Pad. That's BASICALLY what you're looking for. Have someone do a custom build if you're looking for treble bleed...not sure if the Signal Pad has that.

Oh, I guess I forgot to post the price he's charging. 25 bucks. Plus I'll get to demo his line of fuzzes and drives when I pick it up.

You could build this into a guitar with any DPDT switch. Just a thought for you.

True, but not only would it be more expensive, there's also another issue involved in this for me (we're talking about the blower switch mod like on Guthrie Govan's Suhr models, right?).

I'm using a Strat for my main guitar (American Special), and since I play rock and use a fair amount of gain, I use the tone knob to roll off the harsh highs a single coil can produce in that situation. (The Greasebucket tone circuit in the AmSpec is fantastic for this btw). The blower switch mod involves the bridge pickup being routed directly to the output, bypassing tone and volume knobs, and without going through the volume and tone pots first a bridge single is going to be incredibly harsh. Since I'd prefer to not to kill the first 8 rows of the crowd at gigs because of that harshness, I'd need a way to route through at least the tone knob to get tone I want.

Talking to my guitar tech, we think we came up with the solution, which would be using the second tone knob on the guitar as a dedicated knob the blower switch. This however would require me to give up having a tone knob for the neck pickup, which I could probably be fine with. Once again, the cost of the pedal would be much less than the mod.

If I get another Strat, which I'm planning to do (with either a Dimarzio Injector or Duncan YJM in the bridge), I'd be more likely to have the blower mod done on that guitar.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
How would it be more expensive to add to your guitar? It's $10 worth of parts at most and a monkey could wire it. The blower switch is a totally different thing, Lavatian was just mentioning that you could build that stompbox circuit directly into your guitar.

As for the blower switch, adding a tone control to it defeats the whole point. The blower switch gives you a bit more treble and output by bypassing the controls. Adding the tone control back in just brings you back to square one. I'm confused as to why your tech thinks this is a good idea or a worthwhile mod, unless he's just trying to give you whatever you ask for, good idea or not.
Quote by Roc8995
How would it be more expensive to add to your guitar? It's $10 worth of parts at most and a monkey could wire it. The blower switch is a totally different thing, Lavatian was just mentioning that you could build that stompbox circuit directly into your guitar.

As for the blower switch, adding a tone control to it defeats the whole point. The blower switch gives you a bit more treble and output by bypassing the controls. Adding the tone control back in just brings you back to square one. I'm confused as to why your tech thinks this is a good idea or a worthwhile mod, unless he's just trying to give you whatever you ask for, good idea or not.

I suspect because he would be paying someone else to do it, and I don't know any monkeys techs that would do it for $15...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
That's the idea, though. If he's planning on getting this mod or pedal, and then another one on an upcoming guitar, he's going to spend $50+ in labor for something he could learn to do himself with a half hour of youtube videos and a $10 soldering iron.

Anyone can do that mod, even if they've never done one before. Paying a tech to do it for you is a waste of money. It wouldn't be awful if it were just one mod, but if you're planning on tweaking and messing around with your wiring on multiple occasions with multiple guitars, that gets to be a lot of money in bench fees for a dead simple job.
Quote by Roc8995

I always thought the point of a blower, or at least how I've mainly seen it used for single channel amp purposes, is to go from playing a with your volume rolled down (or on the neck pickup for instance) and be able to go from that cleaner sound to a full-bore bridge pickup for leads.

My point was that with a Strat bridge pickup, a blower mod directly to the output is going to be very harsh. For the purpose above, which I'd use it for (and actually the reason GG had it on his Suhrs), it would need something to filter out those ice-pick highs.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Ok, so you just need a switch to bypass your volume pot. That's one switch, $5. Move one wire on the 5-way switch so the tone control affects the bridge pickup instead of the middle, and you're done.

Again, this is super simple stuff that we can help you with if you want to experiment without paying your tech $30 every time you need to add one switch and move one wire. A blower switch should absolutely not be costing you more than $25 to install, it's dead simple and the parts are dirt cheap.

If you really just want your tech to do it, that's ok. I'm just trying to convince you that instead of spending $25 on a pedal and then another $30+ on a blower switch, and then possibly that much again on the same mod on another guitar, you can learn how to do this yourself and spend $30 on all three of those things combined, and be able to tweak and reverse all these mods should you decide you want something different. The kicker is that it is really, really easy. I wouldn't be suggesting all of this if it were actually complicated or difficult, since you haven't worked on your guitar before. This stuff is about as difficult as changing your strings (okay, maybe on a Floyd), and it can save you tons of money in the long run.
Quote by Roc8995
Ok, so you just need a switch to bypass your volume pot. That's one switch, $5. Move one wire on the 5-way switch so the tone control affects the bridge pickup instead of the middle, and you're done.

Again, this is super simple stuff that we can help you with if you want to experiment without paying your tech $30 every time you need to add one switch and move one wire. A blower switch should absolutely not be costing you more than $25 to install, it's dead simple and the parts are dirt cheap.

If you really just want your tech to do it, that's ok. I'm just trying to convince you that instead of spending $25 on a pedal and then another $30+ on a blower switch, and then possibly that much again on the same mod on another guitar, you can learn how to do this yourself and spend $30 on all three of those things combined, and be able to tweak and reverse all these mods should you decide you want something different. The kicker is that it is really, really easy. I wouldn't be suggesting all of this if it were actually complicated or difficult, since you haven't worked on your guitar before. This stuff is about as difficult as changing your strings (okay, maybe on a Floyd), and it can save you tons of money in the long run.

I understand, and no offense taken . I appreciate the advice!

As I said before, I don't plan on doing such a mod on my current Strat. It would be on a second Strat, when/if I acquire one, and then likely only after a pickup swap. Another factor I'd take into consideration is if it's something I'm likely to use often. Depending on what and how many bands I'm in at the time (I'll soon likely be in 3 bands, all gigging) and how much pickup switching I'd be doing to get certain tones, etc. If I do decide to go for a blower switch when I get the second Strat, I'll definitely look into doing it myself now that I know it's an easier procedure than I initially thought!

As far as the pedal and it's use, I'd rather have such a switch done in pedal form and use my foot to make that type of switch rather than my hand. Especially since I'll be doing lead vocals in one of those three bands, and some vocals in another.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Last edited by sjones at Sep 11, 2013,