Hey guys...

I went to the guitar shop today to try and find my new and first guitar and amp

I have played acoustic for around 2½ years now, so i'm not all new.

Before leaving home, i had been considering a Vox AC15 C1, and maybe a little Blues Jr. but the store didn't have Vox amps, though he said he could order one home for me.

I tried the Fender Blues Jr. at the store with a Fender Strat (which is the guitar that im buying. A mexican std.) but i didn't quite know what to think of it. That might be because i dont really have much of a reference point but well..

I don't exactly know what i'll be playing in a years time on my Strat... But i'm really really interested in Classic rock. I am a big fan of Oasis and Queen. Also Beatles, and Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and such... But i also want to be able to play some blues stuff like John Mayer and maybe something like SRV with long sustaining tones..

I wasn't overly impressed with the Blues Jr... but I didn't really know what to expect from an amp.. or an electric. this was the first time i ever tried one...

As i mentioned, I really wanna get that Oasis sound, but the guy at the shop kept saying "You'll be happier with the Blues Jr." Donno if he makes more money if he sells that or something...

But we agreed he'd get me a Vox AC15 C1 if that was what i wanted, and at the same price as the Blues Jr..

And both amps would even be cheaper than they are online, which was great...

My question to you guys, who might have experience with these amps...

Which one :S Which one for the kind of sound i want? I can't try the Vox, and the blues Jr didn't overly impress me. They are the same price.

I need to have an answer for him tomorrow since he is closing down shop for a while to go on vacation so it's now or 1 month.. I'd appreciate some quick discussions!

Thanks in advance
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Last edited by MarcFlink at Sep 11, 2013,
If you want that Oasis sound AC15. I love the sound of the Vox AC series. If I wasn't such a metal head I would have one as well.

The Fender won't what get you what you'd want currently.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I'm with you on the bj being unimpressive. Though I have heard an older one with a better speaker that sounded great so I think its just the stock bj that's unimpressive. I'd go with the AC15 if I were you. Its a very chimes amp and they sound great, esp with the blue speaker. The AC15 also has better resale value, at least in the US
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Blues Jr with pedals if you want the Mayer or SRV stuff with the other stuff too.

Vox AC15C1 would stand alone for most of that (if a bit midrangey and bright for Mayer and SRV).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Just to clarify.. Oasis and the classic rock Brian May'ish sound is a priority over the blues stuff

But you guys agree that the Vox is better? The salesguy seemed really hyped over that blues jr.
If you aren't sure yet, don't buy yet.

Keep shopping around & wait until you know without a shadow of doubt that you're making the right decision.

You really need to try these things before you buy as well, we can only give opinions and our opinions are going to be different to yours. My opinion would be the Vox, but you need to form your own opinion.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If you aren't sure yet, don't buy yet.

Keep shopping around & wait until you know without a shadow of doubt that you're making the right decision.

You really need to try these things before you buy as well, we can only give opinions and our opinions are going to be different to yours. My opinion would be the Vox, but you need to form your own opinion.

Yeah but i won't actually ever be able to try the vox... He will have to order it home since he doesn't even have any vox amps at all.. And this is the closest guitar shop and it is already an hours drive from me.

All i can do, really, is listen to videos on youtube.. I know it doesn't even begin to sound like the real thing when you are right there next to it, but thats what i can do.. And i really just need a versatile tube amp that will play great rock and decent blues. Thats all i really listen to and i can't stand metal or pop or anything like that. Just need a great British classic rock amp.. Not a blues amp that can play rock. rather the other way 'round. Guess i just needed someone to agree with me ;p

Thanks for your attention lads.
I've tried both and I'd say for SRV blues stuff the BJ will obviously work better. I would argue the Vox is more versatile so unless you are absolutely sure you want that type of blues sound you should go with the Vox
yeah if oasis and brian may are the priority, get the vox. as GaryBillington says, there's no rush, don't buy if you're not sure.

But yeah a lot of people working in guitar shops are either dicks, idiots or on commission/trying to sell you what they want to shift this week. Sometimes all 3.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He is trying to make more by selling you what's already there. The Vox is way more versatile by a long shot. You can do the classic rock thing on the top boost channel and do some great blues on the normal channel. The Blues jr might have better reverb (this is subjective), but I feel like an AC15 can do better rock sounds without help. If you had pedals, they would both be great with a nod towards the Blues Jr...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
If you are unimpressed with the Blues Jr., then its likely not the amp for you.
The Vox can do Blues and Rock quite well IMO.

Quote by MarcFlink
Just need a great British classic rock amp.. Not a blues amp that can play rock. rather the other way 'round. Guess i just needed someone to agree with me ;p

Thanks for your attention lads.

Vox fits that bill.

That's what I would choose, but I'm not you.
But I would recommend that.

And if a Brian May sound is something you are after, a Vox is one of the requirements.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 12, 2013,
Just two quick thoughts. Whatever amp you get, I would try to get one with reverb, out of the two you listed, the Vox is the better choice. Also, since this is your first guitar, I would look into an Ibanez RG series that has an HSS or HS configuration since this will give you more freedom in the future.
Thanks guys The Vox has been ordered. Just gotta wait till i can pick it up at the shop :-) the guy sounded rather disappointed with my choice :-D