MarcFlink
637 IQ
Hey guys..

Gonna order my first guitar tomorrow and i have decided on the Fender Std Strat (MIM).. Amp is going to be a Vox AC15 C1 (probably the greenback one)..

i'm really really interested in Classic rock. I am a big fan of Oasis and Queen. Also Beatles, and Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and such... But i also want to be able to play some blues stuff like John Mayer and maybe something like SRV with long sustaining tones..

So that's what i'll be playing. Rock is much more important than the bluesy stuff, so more of an emphasis on the rock part...

The real question is... Do i need a humbucker for this?? I really love the oasis kind of rock so that is the sound that i want...

So, HSS or SSS??.. I already tried one but that was all single coils.. I don't really have much experience with electric guitars as i have never owned one.. I have always just played acoustic..

Would i be happier with an HSS or should i just get the all single-coil one?

What do you guys think?

Just to be clear.. This is not really a pickup question, since im asking what guitar, with it's stock pups, would fit my musical style best..

Thanks in advance
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Last edited by MarcFlink at Sep 11, 2013,
Tazz3
735 IQ
the guitar you picked can play anything with stock pickups you dont need to change the pick ups
MarcFlink
637 IQ
Quote by Tazz3
the guitar you picked can play anything with stock pickups you dont need to change the pick ups

Didn't really want to change them.. Thats why this is under electric guitar and not the gear subforum.. I was asking about a different type of strat.. you can order them with different types of pickups..
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)
2,713 IQ
Stick with SSS, you'd be surprised how heavy you can get with a single coil, and you really don't need to get too heavy for those types of music.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
beatreebor
418 IQ
i'd say go HSS. the SC bridge pickup on strats isnt great anyway.
535 IQ
If you go with SSS, be sure have the second tone knob wired to the bridge pickup. It really helps when using distortion.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
It's really up to you, but personally I'd go HSS.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
I'd go HSS too for versatility. I'm also not a Strat 'purist'

Keep in mind the humbucker they use in the MIM HSS Strat is pretty dismal.

I swapped mine out almost immediately for a Custom Custom, but that would probably be a bit hot for what you play.

I saw you similar thread in GGnA, but this one is different enough thankfully
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
If you're not sure, get the HSS. It gives you the most versatility and tends to work well for just about everyone.
Rogue Hermit
352 IQ
Any thoughts on spending a little bit more ($100) to get the Roadhouse Stratocaster? It has Texas Specials but they are surprisingly versatile, and probably a bit better than standard pickups. Might save you from upgrading them too far down the line.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ I haven't tried it but the lone star might be a better option (as it's HSS)- as colin says, the HSS is (probably/arguably) more versatile if you're not sure what'd be best.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Rogue Hermit
352 IQ
Good point, I always forget about that model! Well, if you are interested in spending a little more the Lonestar would be a sweet deal.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Last edited by Rogue Hermit at Sep 11, 2013,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by classicrocker01

MarcFlink
637 IQ
Problem is that the shop is that i won't be able to try those other strats, and i already know that i really like the neck and feel of the std. i tried at the shop. But how easy is it to change the pups?? could i get an all single coil and then change one of them to a humbucker? or how does all of this work.
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
You can certainly go from SSS to HSS. You can either buy a new pickguard (cheap) and just replace the one pickup, or they even make humbuckers that are the size of single coils so you don't have to replace the pickguard. You can go in reverse if you buy an HSS and decide you want SSS.

Strats are so popular and so modular that you won't have any issue if you decide to tinker with the pickups in the future. You really can't lose with either choice here.
Rogue Hermit
352 IQ
Hmm, if you find one that's really playable to you then by all means! I will say that the Roadhouse I have came (albeit second-hand) with an awesome neck and really smooth-playing. Just something to think about.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
yeah you can pretty much go from SSS to HSS or vice-versa if you want. all you need is a new scratchplate and the new pickup and to be able to solder. (or you can pay someone to fit the new pickup for you at the guitar shop if you can't solder)

if you know you like the neck and feel of the standard, that's fair enough.
Quote by classicrocker01

Velcro Man
A person
1,028 IQ
To me, a humbucker is pointless (and not that great) in a strat. You can just set it to the bridge and middle position and bam, humbucker. It's not as big of a difference as it would seem, but it's all down to taste, you should try to play both, first. When I have humbuckers, I just want coil tapping options for a single coil sound, hell, I pulled the screws out of one coil to get as close to a single coil sound as I can in my guitar (it actually works pretty well)
Fumble fingers
490 IQ
I agree , position 2 and 4 are/work like a humbucker in a single coil
terrapinturtle
122 IQ
Quote by beatreebor
i'd say go HSS. the SC bridge pickup on strats isnt great anyway.

if you go sss i would highly recommend changing the bridge pup to a lindy fralin, those puppies are amazing
MarcFlink
637 IQ
Well guys. I ordered a regular SSS Std. Strat, and a Vox AC15 C1... :-) now i just have to play the waiting game... I'll consider if i want a humbucker at a later time, when i've gotten to know the guitar better

Thanks for your advises
Shor
581 IQ
i see you already ordered it, but I was going to go with SSS as well, and if you don't like the bridge pu I can *highly* recommend a DiMarzio Injector bridge...it is just amazing and bridges the gap to a humbucker while still sounding like a SC.

Also, like someone above mentioned, use the tone knob for the bridge as it'll help a lot when using distortion.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by Velcro Man
To me, a humbucker is pointless (and not that great) in a strat. You can just set it to the bridge and middle position and bam, humbucker. It's not as big of a difference as it would seem

wut

Quote by Fumble fingers
I agree , position 2 and 4 are/work like a humbucker in a single coil

no they frigging don't. they're wired in parallel that way, so for a start they're nothing like a humbucker, they actually are *lower* output than having either single coil on its own. Which is an escellent idea if you're trying to get more of a humbucker-type tone, which is higher in output than a single coil.

about the only way it's like a humbucker is that it's noiseless- and even that is an assumption, because not all middle pickups are RWRP (admittedly, most are on modern spec guitars).
Quote by classicrocker01

Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^
Quote by classicrocker01

MarcFlink
637 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ +1

anyway - congrats on your new gear TS. You can always modify later as mentioned.

make sure you do a NAD thread over in Guitar Gear and Accessories once you get a chance to get some clips, pics and a review

I will Hopefully, i'll be able to bring it home on Wednesday