Hi i got a pod hd500, but i think this would apply to the axe fx and simelar things. So i would like to run the xlr outputs from my pod hd500 as mono, so i only need 1 cable. I do not want to use the line, because that is a pain with di boxes live and my interface has xlr inputs. So what do i do for patches with stereo sounds? If i only use 1 xlr, will my pod know that it it is mono? I dont want to have stereo patches, but many chorus and delay stuff is stereo i think.
the stereo fx will not be in stereo.

why not get another xlr cable and run both thru the interface? Then you can take advantage of having 2 separate amp/cab/mic models going at once that you can blend
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 11, 2013,
What, why will it not be in stereo when it is called stereo? Anyway, for the dual smp thing it sounds far better double tracking with different guitars. Also with 2 guitarists in a band, live would be painfull with 2 outputs when the guitars is panned to the sides.
But my biggest question is how is not stereo fx in stereo? Is it because only 1 cable is plugged into the xlr and a cencor notice it?
Quote by Usernames sucks
What, why will it not be in stereo when it is called stereo? Anyway, for the dual smp thing it sounds far better double tracking with different guitars. Also with 2 guitarists in a band, live would be painfull with 2 outputs when the guitars is panned to the sides.
But my biggest question is how is not stereo fx in stereo? Is it because only 1 cable is plugged into the xlr and a cencor notice it?

When you run it with a single cable, it DOESNT run in stereo. Both channels are simply summed into a single channel. It runs stereo only when you connect both outputs. And yes, it can detect if it is running stereo or not.

And you didn't get the point of double amps. It will make a single guitar sound bigger, it is not meant to emulate double tracking. Double tracking is a completely different topic altogether. In my experience, when recording, two guitars with two different amps each, sound better than two guitars with one amp each, which in turn sound better than two guitars with the same amp. Mixing cabinets also as the same effect.

Note by better, I mean bigger, not tonally better.
It maybe stereo with only 1 xlr cable I was basing my answer on my POD XT. But I realized Mine only has 1/4 jacks and no xlr.

But when I look at the panel of your HD500, the jacks are labeled mono L/R, but the XLR is labeled just L/R.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It maybe stereo with only 1 xlr cable I was basing my answer on my POD XT. But I realized Mine only has 1/4 jacks and no xlr.

But when I look at the panel of your HD500, the jacks are labeled mono L/R, but the XLR is labeled just L/R.

Yeah, so it would make a difference then? If i tweek my sound running mono (even if the fx is stereo), i can get the sound i want anyway.
Quote by Usernames sucks
Yeah, so it would make a difference then? If i tweek my sound running mono (even if the fx is stereo), i can get the sound i want anyway.

Well GS LEAD 5 says it is mono with one, and I would tend to agree with what he said.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by GS LEAD 5
When you run it with a single cable, it DOESNT run in stereo. Both channels are simply summed into a single channel. It runs stereo only when you connect both outputs. And yes, it can detect if it is running stereo or not.

And you didn't get the point of double amps. It will make a single guitar sound bigger, it is not meant to emulate double tracking. Double tracking is a completely different topic altogether. In my experience, when recording, two guitars with two different amps each, sound better than two guitars with one amp each, which in turn sound better than two guitars with the same amp. Mixing cabinets also as the same effect.

Note by better, I mean bigger, not tonally better.

Ok thank you! If i run 1 1/4" cable from my pod to my stage monitor, and 1 xlr from my pod to the PA simultaneously, i will still get a mono signal in the monitor and the PA?
Quote by Usernames sucks
Ok thank you! If i run 1 1/4" cable from my pod to my stage monitor, and 1 xlr from my pod to the PA simultaneously, i will still get a mono signal in the monitor and the PA?

you can try, it will not hurt anything. But many times, one of the sets of output's will be overridden by the other.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Usernames sucks
Seriusly? Are you sure? Because i have heard about pepole doing this.

Like I said try it, but many pieces of music gear work like that. You won't hurt anything by trying
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Usernames sucks

Yeah, you'll get mono. Your sound will simply be duplicated for the second source.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Yeah, you'll get mono. Your sound will simply be duplicated for the second source.

Ok sorry if i sound like a total ******, but i asked a little on the line 6 forums. They said that the line out would be mono if you only plugged in the left one, however if you plugged in the left xlr and not the right xlr, you would only hear the left xlr signal.

I was thinking of using a Y cable like this (so i get both l and r in a mono cable):
http://www.google.no/imgres?imgurl=http://www.swamp.net.au/images/productimages/Large/YS137N_2x_YS136N.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.swamp.net.au/microphone-channel-saver-xlr-y-cable.html&h=382&w=550&sz=36&tbnid=nwgUs53UO_IsnM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=145&zoom=1&usg=__9Lvi-6hINP3THoD2F8LIt4GqT-k=&docid=7MSFlMwZV07zBM&sa=X&ei=ADA3UsS3E4rm4wS72oDYBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAQ&dur=252
However, one guy at the line 6 forum said that i shouldn't use that since it could mess up the phase if i had stereo patches. Is this guy knowing what he talk about? An alternative is to run a xlr from the right output to my monitor, and run the left xlr to the PA or audio interface?
I only know how this works for the AxeFX so it may end up being different on the POD.

Anyway, you should have some kind of output options like: Stereo, Summed L/R & Copy L=>R

Summed L/R basically combines both sides so both your L and R outputs are putting out identical signals, while Copy L=>R simply copies everything from the Left to the Right.

Summing can work well for some stereo patches, but it can also cause phase cancellation. Certain types of modulation effects as well as some reverbs and echos can completely disappear because of this.

Copy LR is good if you want to send the L to your monitor and the R to the PA. It insures that both signals are identical. Of course it goes without saying that any stereo effects panned to the right will no longer exist.

The best method really is to simply go through your patches and remove all panning and change any stereo effects into mono effects. That way you can simply leave your output options alone and safely run one channel into the PA and the other into your monitor.