Page 1 of 2
Just thought of this today, all the people tweeting and Facebooking 9/11 tribute posts expressing sadness #respect etc. etc.

Why is our culture one where we have to publically express our feelings of grief like it's a competition who can care the most, or give the most #respect to the victims of tragedies?

This happened not only with disasters such as 9/11, but also deaths of famous people, such as Princess Diana, Margaret Thatcher, Mitch Lucker etc. etc.

Why can't people just mourn quietly any more? Do they think their outpouring of grief is going to actually help the victims/affected people of a tragedy, or do they just do it for personal gain and to appear like a caring person?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Everyone experiences grief in their own way. Some people might feel a personal duty to show that they care. Others might do it because it brings people together.

I'm not as deeply affected by the deaths of famous people as someone else might be, but publicly expressing my apathy towards it would be stupid.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
they just do it for personal gain and to appear like a caring person

throw in a sprinkle of "I've got more nationalism than you" and it's about right
People constantly publicly flaunt their 'grief' over tragedies in my twitter feed all the time, and it makes me sick to my stomach, because a lot of these people have followings of tens of thousands of people, and they draw attention to themselves by proclaiming how much they care, so people will go "aw that's so heartwarming, let me favorite that/retweet that." It wouldn't be a problem if it came across with any ounce of genuineness, but it never does. It comes across as "look at me, I care about this tragic thing that happened, me me me"
Because they are sheep. They mourn grief publically simply because everyone else does. Because they are afraid that if they don't, they will be judged by the masses as a dissenter, unpatriotic, a terrorist...They feel obliged to feel grief and when they don't they take to public to desperately try and convince everyone that they actually give a shit.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Some people do it for attention. Some people do it because they can't express it anywhere else and it makes them feel better. If it doesn't affect anyone else why do we have to know their motives?
cat
Who gives a shit, they can do it if they want to. Just ignore it if you don't like it.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Solidarity
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Why is it so important for people to express grief publically?

The question you should really be asking is why you should see other people's emotions and will to show respect in such a negative light.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Just thought of this today, all the people tweeting and Facebooking 9/11 tribute posts expressing sadness #respect etc. etc.

Why is our culture one where we have to publically express our feelings of grief like it's a competition who can care the most, or give the most #respect to the victims of tragedies?

This happened not only with disasters such as 9/11, but also deaths of famous people, such as Princess Diana, Margaret Thatcher, Mitch Lucker etc. etc.

Why can't people just mourn quietly any more? Do they think their outpouring of grief is going to actually help the victims/affected people of a tragedy, or do they just do it for personal gain and to appear like a caring person?

You show such emotional, social, and empathetic immaturity
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

No I don't. I express grief for the things that genuinely emotionally affect me, not every single current affairs event like so many people do. I don't post tweets for every single celebrity who dies or for every single tragedy that occurs. My Facebook status isn't helping the family of a murder victim in any way, nor is it helping people rebuild their lives after an Earthquake.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Notice how he said empathetic immaturity? You might show grief in a way that is appropriate and mature for you, but your empathy is still quite rubbish.
Quote by Dreadnought

I disagree.
You don't know how they're actually feeling. And people do it for solidarity like lolmnt said as well as the thought that it's honoring the victims.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by EndTheRapture51
No I don't. I express grief for the things that genuinely emotionally affect me, not every single current affairs event like so many people do. I don't post tweets for every single celebrity who dies or for every single tragedy that occurs. My Facebook status isn't helping the family of a murder victim in any way, nor is it helping people rebuild their lives after an Earthquake.

See what Baby Joel said. You've demonstrated a significant lack of ability to relate, or understand, or empathize, or to even try to do either of the three, with the management of grief and others and a gross ignorance to group/communal suffering and how grief expressed that way is oftentimes more beneficial.

Seriously, read a goddamn book. You don't know shit and your ignorance is offensive.
Quote by Dreadnought

Wouldn't say it's "empathetic immaturity"... The guy is maybe lacking empathy, but it's not as if when you age you become more and more empathetic... So that's a bad bit of wording.

As far as I can see, the guy is just being realistic, and pragmatic. If you really care about something like a humanitarian issue, then if you can, donate some money and put up a tweet/post encouraging others to do the same.

For the deaths of people, I suppose it might make the family/friends feel better to have the apparent support and care of people. That's only natural...
On the other hand, I think TS is right - some people do seem to not be genuine and to just be looking for attention any way they can..
because they want to

**** your shit TS
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Why can't people just mourn quietly any more?

Please give me samples of when this didn't happen.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Either you were trying to prove his point, or you have no idea what "empathetic" mean...
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 11, 2013,
Quote by AcousticMetal99
Wouldn't say it's "empathetic immaturity"... The guy is maybe lacking empathy, but it's not as if when you age you become more and more empathetic... So that's a bad bit of wording.

No it isn't, that usage of immaturity means a lack of development.
Quote by WCPhils
Please give me samples of when this didn't happen.

Either you were trying to prove his point, or you have no idea what "empathetic" mean...

500000 B.C.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Because Americans think it's their duty to shove every thought of theirs down the worlds throat.
Quote by Wormholes
Because Americans think it's their duty to shove every thought of theirs down the worlds throat.

vs the world's duty to constantly point this out to Americans.
Quote by Dreadnought
No it isn't, that usage of immaturity means a lack of development.

When I'm cynical about some person with a moderate internet following posting about this weeks tragedy for the fifth time, it's being a cynic. Not lacking empathy.

Lacking empathy would be me telling the victim of a rape "you suck, get over it slut". But I wouldn't ever do that because I have a sense of empathy.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
When I'm cynical about some person with a moderate internet following posting about this weeks tragedy for the fifth time, it's being a cynic. Not lacking empathy.

Lacking empathy would be me telling the victim of a rape "you suck, get over it slut". But I wouldn't ever do that because I have a sense of empathy.

why do you seem to think that being cynical is a good quality?
Quote by Wormholes

Just stop dude.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
When I'm cynical about some person with a moderate internet following posting about this weeks tragedy for the fifth time, it's being a cynic.

When I paint pictures with red paint, it's a red picture.

Technically, that's a lack of sympathy, not empathy.
Quote by Baby Joel
Notice how he said empathetic immaturity? You might show grief in a way that is appropriate and mature for you, but your empathy is still quite rubbish.

QFT
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It's about recognizing the fact that thousands of people lost their lives that day for nothing. It was a national tragedy. You can tie this to any bigger picture you believe exists but for most people it is a sign of respect to reflect on this event and those who lost their lives.
Quote by Eastwinn
why do you seem to think that being cynical is a good quality?

It's not a negative quality either. It's just how I am. Being empathetic isn't great either because if you go too far you'll end up being the Devil's advocate of every issue.

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It's not a negative quality either. It's just how I am. Being empathetic isn't great either because if you go too far you'll end up being the Devil's advocate of every issue.

are you stupid or something?
Jack McCandless once said "Happiness is only true if it's shared" or something like that. I read "Into the Wild" when I was going through a pretty heavy depression and applied that to sadness. It kind of made my personal problems seem less heavy since it wasn't something that was affecting my life, culture, or environment. It was just affecting my state of mind, which I could change.

Plus, we're a social species.
Quote by Eastwinn
are you stupid or something?

Please tell me why being cynical is a negative quality and being empathetic is so positive?

I understand being overly cynical is bad but I have a relative who is overly empathetic and she puts up with far too much shit from people because she "can see where they're coming from" and lets people walk all over her. It's not black and white you know.

When its a public figure its because they will miss them. Like when John Meyer died. Oh wait, he's not dead... oh I see, carry on.
Quote by captainsnazz
Your threads did 9/11

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I hide most of the 9/11 posts I see. But it's only because they're flooding my feed, I'm not bothered by people grieving publicly.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Page 1 of 2