I've been in a dilemma recently about my Boss DS1 distortion. I've had it for almost a year, and I just love it. I know people diss it a lot, mostly because they don't take the effort to find a good tone. I've always loved it's tone and all, it's just pure rock n' roll. The other day I listened to a Keeley modded one on youtube, and wow it sounds incredible. Now I can't decide if I should leave my DS1 stock or should I do the mod on it. The stock one I've explained what I like, but on the low E string it kinda sounds trebly. And it's hard sometimes to adjust it to the clean volume. While I've noticed that the Keeley mod has more bass in it and the gain is more focused. And I've noticed the volume is easily adjustable to the clean tone. Both are great IMO but I don't know what to do now. Does anyone have experiences with this?

I play mostly RHCP and others like Led Zeppelin, Oasis, Aerosmith, The Cure, White Stripes, Prince, ZZ Top, John Mayer etc. I play a lot of Ex-yu bands as well. My main influence is obviously Frusciante and he uses a non-moded DS2 (I find not much difference between 1 and 2, only that 1 has a bit more power). Here's my gear:

Squier Bullet Strat > VOX v845 wah > DS1 > CS3 (compressor) > Fender Deluxe 85 amp
Honestly, DS-1s are so cheap and easy to find used, I don't see why you wouldn't try modding it if you're curious. If you don't like the mods, you can always reverse them afterwards.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the DS-1 with my rig. I basically have to run the treble at zero or else it gets buzzy. I also had to run the gain pretty high to get it sounding the way I like it. By that time, the pedal ends up sounding too noisy and mushy to be useful anyway.

I ended up doing a monte allums mod to it and I like it much more. A little bit more usable than a stock one.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Mod it. It's easily reversible/replaceable, and the better mods don't so much reinvent it as they do expand it. You'll probably find you can still get similar tones out of it, just that the level doesn't need to be full and the treble doesn't need cutting drastically. Basically most mods make it more versatile and instantly pleasing without having to tweak the treble knob to get it right/stop the headache.
Dude, where's my band?