Jerry c is said to have composed it and so far fun two is who i think would have more rights to the song.due to the fact a video of him playing it was first or on YouTube.i haven't really searched the topic but maybe one of could tell me who
Igor Stravinsky

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
JerryC did it first, but he can't have rights to it considering it's a cover of a classical composition. Pachelbel's Canon in D
Quote by Velcro Man
JerryC did it first, but he can't have rights to it considering it's a cover of a classical composition. Pachelbel's Canon in D

Yea Johann Pachelbel is infamous for his extreme litigation. He has Johnny Cochran on his legal team.

That pesky copyright law which states that ownership of IP lasts 500 years.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Canon rock sucks.
The original is a lot better and I don't even particularly enjoy that piece too much.
So people who do covers of songs on YouTube have more rights to it than the composer? Okay.
Quote by macashmack
The original is a lot better

no

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea Johann Pachelbel is infamous for his extreme litigation. He has Johnny Cochran on his legal team.

That pesky copyright law which states that ownership of IP lasts 500 years.

It's public domain :P hence the covers

Quote by macashmack
Canon rock sucks.
The original is a lot better and I don't even particularly enjoy that piece too much.

I don't like most, but MattRach's version...fuuuck. 15 year old kid with one of the most beautiful guitar pieces I've heard in awhile.
Quote by Velcro Man
It's public domain :P

...which means he can totally copyright his composition.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
And the original doesn't?

I don't like the piece in general but i'd sooner listen to the original than the guitar version.
Quote by Xiaoxi
...which means he can totally copyright his composition.

It's not a composition though, it's a cover o.O
The arranger can copyright his arrangement. That would be Jerry C. The performer can copyright his performance, though they should have the permission of the arranger, since he holds the copyright.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Velcro Man
It's not a composition though, it's a cover o.O

"Cover" is not a recognized category in copyright law. Arrangement is, and it falls under the same category as composition. Now, normally you'd have to get permissions and pay mechanical fees for the use of the original composition, but that's conveniently not an issue seeing as how the guy who made the original composition has been dead for 500 years. He can totally copyright this arrangement (aka composition).

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
He can capitalize on it, yes, but he can't really do anything about other people playing it, which I assume is what this thread is for.
Quote by Velcro Man
He can capitalize on it, yes, but he can't really do anything about other people playing it, which I assume is what this thread is for.

I think he never formally copyrighted it. But he totally could have. Technically it is inherently copyrighted to him as long as there is proof that he put the documentation up first.

"More rights" doesn't make any sense. This is pretty black and white. JerryC holds the copyright to Canon Rock. He could sue others if he really wanted to.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 11, 2013,
I have to agree with whoever said the guitar version is cheesy.

I never understood why everybody creams their jeans over it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I have to agree with whoever said the guitar version is cheesy.

I never understood why everybody creams their jeans over it.

Because it's shred guitar, but this time in the jacket of an actual melody/harmonic movement.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I think it's all cheesy. The original song is lame. It's one overused chord progression with easily to predict notes following it. The guitar cover is even worse. It's just a bunch of guitar tricks. Neither song compares to Chopin.
Canon rock sucks dirty poopcovered asshole with hair hanging out with poop stuck in it.
It starts with some stupid melody and then you chug some stupid power chords and play stupid segments of melody between them to show that you can integrate stupid melodies into your stupid rock chord wank, then you play that stupid melody again and follow it with more stupid melodies and then sweep some stupid arpeggios that shouldn't even be there, but you do it anyway just to show you can do awesome brootal sweeps but can't integrate them into a song in a sensible manner and then... well thats the song.

Peeewwwwwwheeeeeeeeuuuuwwww weeeeeeeeehhhhpieeewwwwhhhhh miuuuuuuhhhhhhhshiuuuuuuuuhhhh diuuuuuuhhhh wiuuuuuuuhhh! Pewpew! Pew pew! Pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewwwwwwwwwwww CHUGCHUG TIDI! CHUGCHUG PEWPEWPEWW! CHUGCHUG TEW TEW TEW! CHUGCHUG TITITITITI! *that same stupid melody* and then TIIIDUTIIDUTIIIII TIDU TIDUTIDUTIDUTIDU SWEEEPPPSWEEEEEPPPLOWWAAAAOOOOWWWWOOAAAAOWWOWOOAOAOW

Thats how it sounds. Sounds exactly like some stupid cheesy christmas carol.

-11/10
Would die of cringe
That French dude on youtube that always bobs his head. MattRach.
Quote by kertets
Only losers post their opinions on the internet.
Quote by macashmack
I don't like the guitar version at all, it sounds corny to me.

it's awful

Cannon Rock? That's an island from Wind Waker, right? Probably the Moblins.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.