I've had this MIM tele for awhile and seemed to have lucked out on the purchase. Really like the way it plays, the action and feel seem right on. Anyhow just got an itch to try a stacked humbucker b/c I practice with my G&L rampage the most but it sorta of likes to go out of tune . Here's the guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-telecaster-fsr-ash-electric-guitar-with-vintage-noiseless-pickups

I'm playing mostly through an Orange TH30 with a few pedals, xotic ep & wah

Any opinions? I do some clean tone intro and hard rock tones, not too much metal tones.
Dimarzio Tone Zone T
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
**** that nonsense. Stick a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in the bridge. For the clan stuff you just back off the guitar volume a smidge.
Don't know about the neck position one. I have the the quarter pound neck pup as well in mine and I find it a little unispiring. It isn't really a quarter pounder imo. What makes a QP a QP is the massive magnets and the tele neck QP doesn't have them. Well, in the little lipstick like box; how could they?
I'll probably stick a SD hot rails in there one day, they make a tele sized one. But I don't use the neck pup at all on my tele anyway. A pair of socks would do just as well.
But the Quarter Pound bridge pup just rocks, man. Got a hot P90 sorta vibe to it and it just pumps some serious voltage. Humbucker like output from a single coil. You'll love it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My SDQP just showed up today! Yea
All the you tube clips were pretty much spot on for the tone I was looking for.
Now I just need to conquer the ADD with wiring. I don't want to take it apart, I just want to play the fu KING thing.
Cool. Let me know what you think once it's in there. PS, try playing some slide guitar on it too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm sort of wondering why the original pickup has two connections on the ground wire that the new pickup does not have.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/angerplea/media/tele_ground_zpsaf017426.jpg.html

It screws into the wood within the cavity and also connects to one of the pickup screws.
Whatever, I wont worry about that since it does not appear in the new schematic.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/angerplea/media/sd_qp_zps1992b308.jpg.html
It's just the way they've connected it all together. It doesn't matter as long as the earths are all connected.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the SDQP pickup sounds like what I was expecting from the YT clips. More of a dark type of 70's hard rock tone which works way better for me compared to standard single coil.. Just a bigger fuller sound overall. The highs are rolled off a bit in comparison to my G&L Rampage which has a Alnico V humbucker.

Overall I'm happy with the upgrade to SDQP on my Tele, but there is a slight background hiss that I need to fix, just due to my soldering.
The seymour duncan QP is working out well, but I can't get rid of the background hissssssss.
Dang....I tried the original wiring where the ground connects to a screw into the body AND height adjustment screw. Still an issue.
They will pick up noise from background sources a bit but it's only really noticeable when not playing. When I am using my tele I mute it when I'm not playing. That small inconvenience is worth it to get the tone it produces.
But having said that actually stick a multimeter on it and make sure the earth is actually making a proper connection to the bridge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Still have the buzz and I don't think it's 60 cycle hum b/c it turns off if I touch the volume or tone. If I touch the strings, bridge or tuners no change. All I did was replace two wires so yea...?

Here you go, true tele single coil, the BareKnuckle Piledriver set

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=teles&sub=vintage_hot&pickup=piledriver

EDIT: Danget, didn't read.

Check the ground to your bridge, it comes loose sometimes when you are jacken with the wires.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Feb 1, 2014,
I have some BK pickups, but the question is about the wiring. "it[buzz] turns off if I touch the volume or tone". Would copper tape help?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Here you go, true tele single coil, the BareKnuckle Piledriver set

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=teles&sub=vintage_hot&pickup=piledriver

EDIT: Danget, didn't read.

Check the ground to your bridge, it comes loose sometimes when you are jacken with the wires.

Ok - That was mentioned before and I should have done that already.

but....I haven't really used a multi-meter before so what reading should I look for? (assuming it's not physically detached)
Last edited by Marrowoflife at Feb 1, 2014,
You are describing a faulty connection to the bridge. Put the multimeter on resistance and measure between the back of the pots and the bridge. It should be close to zero ohms.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This thread makes me glad I'm just having a local tech do mine. My solder skills are pretty poor so far and I wanted to make sure its done right. I'm very anxiously waiting for the call. "Dark type of 70's hard rock tone" is what I'm hoping to get.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The earth wire often breaks when you root around with it too much. If the wire looks at all fatigued in any way, I just rip the bridge off and fit a new one. Too often they will break where you can't see it, if in doubt, I toss it out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lucky1978
This thread makes me glad I'm just having a local tech do mine. My solder skills are pretty poor so far and I wanted to make sure its done right. I'm very anxiously waiting for the call. "Dark type of 70's hard rock tone" is what I'm hoping to get.

I've had some really bad luck taking my guitars to technical "professional". UG has some great advice, so I'll rely on that and gain experience at the same time.
Quote by Cathbard
The earth wire often breaks when you root around with it too much. If the wire looks at all fatigued in any way, I just rip the bridge off and fit a new one. Too often they will break where you can't see it, if in doubt, I toss it out.

I'll take a closer look at that. This guitar is going to be incredibly sweet.
That was it. Ground to bridge which they did it a little bit out of the ordinary. Just my impression since I don't solder or read schematics that much.

\\Pick up ground\Wood\Pick up hight screw\Volume pot\

I had the fish eye connection on the wrong side of the rubber bushing so it just need to be switched out.

The bridge pickup sounds excellent now.

What do you think of the hotrail?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The hot rail in the neck position is sort of underwhelming. It doesn't seem like modern high output?
Maybe it's just inherent to the tiny lipstick size. I don't know. I've got space for a Pearly Gates Humbucker or P90 so might go that route someday, but I'm just going to have fun playing it for a good while. The QP rocks.
Update on my Tele: It sounds fuh-king cool! I was doing some Bomb Track and Pinball Wizard and it's sounding perfect. Thanks GG&A much appreciated.

There is another option that I have considered doing (but I hardly use the neck pup so i haven't bothered) is to fit a proper strat neck Quarter Pounder. With mine that would require some routing to the body and a new scratch plate. I may do it one day, unless I just make a new scratch plate and toss the neck pup away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 8, 2014,
I never considered that, good catch. I was thinking Seth Lover or Pearly Gates. They both sound incredibly cool, but I'm leaning toward the Seth Lover. Super cool vintage shit.

Not to get off track but P90's are sounding good too. I really need to double check the space tho..