There is a bit of a learning curve at the beginning as it has no frets so correct finger placement can be a pain. If you start learning be prepared to sound like dying animals for about a year.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Violin-difficult to learn,easy to master.

Piano and guitar - opposite.

/thread
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
I had a hard time with it when I was learning to fiddle. Once you get the hang of it, though, it kind of becomes second nature.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Unlike piano and guitar, where a beginner can play basic stuff that sounds pretty good, you will sounds like complete shit on the violin towards the beginning. Once you start getting it though it's not much different than another instrument.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
All the violins I've talked to have been very stubborn, so I'd say yeah
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
All the violins I've talked to have been very stubborn, so I'd say yeah

It's better than dealing with those racist banjos.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Slightly off-topic, I suppose, but I always wondered why they designed the violin to be played in the position it's played in.

I can only assume it's the easiest way to facilitate the use of a bow, but it just seems weird to me.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Slightly off-topic, I suppose, but I always wondered why they designed the violin to be played in the position it's played in.

I can only assume it's the easiest way to facilitate the use of a bow, but it just seems weird to me.

How else would you play it?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
How else would you play it?

I don't know, that was sort of part of my point.

Why did they design it that way?
It's easy to ask your question in hindsight, but imagine if you were going to invent an instrument. Would you have done it that way?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I'll bet there's an expert violinist somewhere who can play with their violin standing upright on a table or chair. That person is now my hero for the day.
You could prop it up on your knee and play it upright, maybe.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
They're very frustrating to first learn how to play, as their fretless. Which will make any finger placement anywhere short of perfect sound horrible.

How long it takes to get used to depends on many, many factors though. Including your own patience.

in terms of how they're designed though, i think it kind of makes sense. The player needs to see where they're fingering, which on a violin means getting quite close and personal with it (as it's a pretty small instrument), and at the same time you need both hands free.

The thing I question in terms of it's design is why the tuning pegs are just gearless stumps of wood that you lock just by wedging them into the headstock. But it's tradition I guess.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 12, 2013,
If four people could stand side by side playing the violin, viola, cello, and bass upright, smallest to largest or vice versa, that would actually make my year.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Dumbest thing I've ever read.

So dumb that I think its genius.
I'd like to learn to play it. Still trying to improve rhythm and stuff on the p&o though.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The thing I question in terms of it's design is why the tuning pegs are just gearless stumps of wood that you lock just by wedging them into the headstock. But it's tradition I guess.

Yes very much so. I hate having to tuning my cello because of those. It would be so much easier if they would just start making gear tuners.
I would love to learn some Penderecki on a viola. That stuff just makes me feel fuzzy when I listen to it
Last edited by ahappysloth at Sep 12, 2013,
I wanted to learn violin a while ago, but there is no way to play it quietly, and if you have never played one before, it's hard to play it without sounding awful.

I think a lot of people who are really good at it probably started when they were kids, and people think that when a kid plays an instrument, they are kind of allowed to sound awful. I am probably wrong with that, but it seems logical in my head.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Trying to get into Penderecki, any pieces you'd recommend?

I started of with stuff like The Dream of Jacob, Polymorphy & Dimensions of Time and Silence. His stuff isn't really easy to get into but you eventually learn to like it after a few listens