For those of you who don't know what it is, it can be described as two different things, related but not the same:
1: When computers/machines/robots achieve human intelligence
2: When humans merge with machines and create a new species.

We can already see the singularity happening in todays world; People with brain damage are beginning to have chips and hardware inserted into their brains so that they can manipulate the machine that help them move with their mind. People who lose limbs have robotic ones (although not perfect yet) attached that they can use as arms, Cyberneticist Kevin Warwick has had a computer chip planted into his brain, which he used to control computers with his thoughts. A man recently has had headphones implanted into his brain so he can listen to music from inside his head.

With the expansion of nanotechnology and robotics, it isn't long (a few decades) until we as a species will have the ability to increase our intelligence with nanobots, replace our internal organs with computers to increase our abilities (Why have a heart to pump blood when nanobots can carry oxygen to our brain more efficiently than red blood cells ever could? Why have muscles/bones when fiber threads and titanium bars are thousands of times stronger?)

Personally, I am fascinated with this stuff and I believe that the creation/implementation of these technologies will do far more good than harm.

What do you think?
Last edited by macashmack at Sep 12, 2013,
Quote by Baby Joel
I came in here expecting to talk about black holes, and am now disappointed.

Came in here to post this
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I don't think this happen any time soon - certainly not in decades - mostly because our technology is still far from being reliable enough to be integrated into anything vital. That and it's a complete waste of time in the vast majority of cases: why have some stupid chip built into your head in order to turn your computer/lights on? Switches work perfectly well and are infinitely more reliable.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
With the expansion of nanotechnology and robotics, it isn't long (a few decades) until we as a species will have the ability to increase our intelligence with nanobots, replace our internal organs with computers to increase our abilities (Why have a heart to pump blood when nanobots can carry oxygen to our brain more efficiently than red blood cells ever could? Why have muscles/bones when fiber threads and titanium bars are thousands of times stronger?)

**** yea. Why not just abolish men and women and make one super gender while we're at it? It can produce babies all on its own. Problems to humanity solved
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by WhiskeyFace
It's called Transhumanism right?

Yes.

C'mon guys, I don't want to talk about the game, I've never even played in
I think they exist but don't exist. From our perspective a singularity can occupy just one point I space but in reality it's occupying a lot more space, just not 3dimensional space. This allows black holes to leak info into other dimensions.
Quote by Todd Hart
I don't think this happen any time soon - certainly not in decades - mostly because our technology is still far from being reliable enough to be integrated into anything vital. That and it's a complete waste of time in the vast majority of cases: why have some stupid chip built into your head in order to turn your computer/lights on? Switches work perfectly well and are infinitely more reliable.

Computer circuits grow exponentially, I don't think that a few decades is actually a bad estimate.

Quote by Carnivean
**** yea. Why not just abolish men and women and make one super gender while we're at it? It can produce babies all on its own. Problems to humanity solved

People like having sex.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I think they exist but don't exist. From our perspective a singularity can occupy just one point I space but in reality it's occupying a lot more space, just not 3dimensional space. This allows black holes to leak info into other dimensions.

This thread is about technological singularity. I'm going to change the thread name to clarify, mb.
Quote by macashmack
Computer circuits grow exponentially, I don't think that a few decades is actually a bad estimate.

Yes, but reliability barely improves, which is sure as hell the most important thing when it comes to putting electronics inside a human, especially if you plan to have it serve some important function.

Not to mention, like I said, the fact that the vast majority of tranhuman ideas are just time wasters and gimmicks.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Why the hell did I even make the science thread if people aren't going to use it?
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by HypernovaGlow
Why the hell did I even make the science thread if people aren't going to use it?

You think people here know what falls under "science"?
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
You think people here know what falls under "science"?

Science wept.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
Quote by HypernovaGlow

This thread isn't about the specific sciences, it's about user's opinions on the concept.
Quote by Todd Hart
Yes, but reliability barely improves, which is sure as hell the most important thing when it comes to putting electronics inside a human, especially if you plan to have it serve some important function.

Not to mention, like I said, the fact that the vast majority of tranhuman ideas are just time wasters and gimmicks.

What date/amount of time do you think is more reasonable?
Quote by macashmack
People like having sex.

Let em have sex. But at least give everyone a vagina and penis so they can have their own babies. Cmon be fair.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by macashmack
This thread isn't about the specific sciences, it's about user's opinions on the concept.

That's exactly what the science thread is for. Go read it, ot's mostly conceptual mumbo-jumbo based on scientific topics; which, this is. I post stuff about technology almost exclusively with some astronomy thrown in there. I'm just saying if you seek some legitimate responses the posters in that thread have pretty broad knowledge of the topic... Not that they won't find their way here, it's just to reduce clutter and spread general scientific knowledge regardless of how conceptual the topic is.

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
Quote by HypernovaGlow
That's exactly what the science thread is for. Go read it, ot's mostly conceptual mumbo-jumbo based on scientific topics; which, this is. I post stuff about technology almost exclusively with some astronomy thrown in there. I'm just saying if you seek some legitimate responses the posters in that thread have pretty broad knowledge of the topic... Not that they won't find their way here, it's just to reduce clutter and spread general scientific knowledge regardless of how conceptual the topic is.

I didn't know that.
Im gonna go post this in there but I'm also gonna keep this thread open.
Quote by whywefight
Why do you have to label this 'serious thread'? All threads here are serious

I didn't want some of the shenanigans.
Our generation should get close to achieving this actually. If technology continues to advance at the current exponential pace, there's no telling how advanced we'll be 20 years from now, let alone 50 and 100.

If we manage to not kill ourselves off, or are lucky enough to avoid a civilization ending disaster, our technological advancements 100 years from now will be unimaginable to us today. Sort of like a man in the 1920s would never imagine a smartphone, or the concept of the internet etc... as being the future.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Sep 13, 2013,
I am not educated enough on technology to have a valid opinion, but I will admit the idea of becoming 'too advanced' frightens me.
Quote by BoxCarMothra
ever watched any of Jason Silva's videos on the subject?

I just watched one, he's very animated.