Page 1 of 2
Does anyone here still remember the good old days, when good bands like led zeppelin and metallica used to be world famous? And I'm not saying that there isn't good rock bands around anymore, but none of them are very popular. Pop and hip-hop are dominating the charts. 'Artists' like Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj are going to be the only takeaway artists from this decade that people still listen to. This is pretty much inevitable.

So when will pop music die like rock did? What will replace it? Will rock replace pop as the genre that moves the most units? Rate and comment pls
Gwen will never die!

Hopefully all the other pop stars will though (apart from JT).
pop stands for popular though doesn't it?

So like.. if it's popular.........

no yeah it'll totally die
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by whoomit
Gwen will never die!

This.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by whoomit
Gwen will never die!

Hopefully all the other pop stars will though (apart from JT).

if i was a rich girlll

na na na na na na

na na na na na na na na naaaaaa
gwen is the best in this <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0UkdHzUOHI
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by whywefight
Pop and hip-hop are dominating the charts.

Pop has always dominated the charts.

And hip-hop has been on a downward spiral popularity wise since the end of the 2000's.

Look at how many of the top selling albums of all time are dominated by pop, and the dates:
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
EDM will replace all music, duh

Which specific style will be #1 is hard to tell. It's probably not even around yet
I think that quite a lot of the pop music released this year has been good.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Pop music doesn't die because pop music is just what is popular at the time. Pop music today is much different than pop music from the 70s.
Quote by willT08
EDM will replace all music, duh

Which specific style will be #1 is hard to tell. It's probably not even around yet

EoDM will replace all music.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
pop stands for popular though doesn't it?

So like.. if it's popular.........

no yeah it'll totally die

+1

If you're referring to the current style of pop, I'd say it'll phase out in 10-20 years.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
+1

If you're referring to the current style of pop, I'd say it'll phase out in 10-20 years.

I don't even think it'll be that long, 3-5 is my bet.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Quote by GazzaCee
I don't even think it'll be that long, 3-5 is my bet.

Well it depends on how you think about it. To me the current style of pop music was developed in the 90's and has been evolving since.
Well, the "rock" that I assume you are referring to lasted about 30-35 years. If the "pop" that I assume you are referring to started in the 90s, I think it would be a safe guess to say it will be gone by 2030.

Hopefully sooner, but I don't see the glass as half anything.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Well it depends on how you think about it. To me the current style of pop music was developed in the 90's and has been evolving since.

The way I view it, we had 80s pop, which was synth pop, then the 90s for me brings up visions of boybands like NSync and Backstreet Boys. Early 2000s brought about stuff like Britney and Christina Aguilera. More modern stuff, to me at least, like Gaga, Katy Perry, One Direction, The Wanted and Bieber have a sound very distinct to what came before.

But time will tell.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
I wasn't alive when Zep and Metallica where at their primes. Besides, "pop music" was always the most popular stuff. I mean, stuff like The Beatles (earlier stuff), Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, The Backstreet Boys, and countless other similar artists always topped the charts compared to rock music.

Wait until you're 16 or 17, you'll grow out of this phase that you're in.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by whywefight
Does anyone here still remember the good old days, when good bands like led zeppelin and metallica used to be world famous? And I'm not saying that there isn't good rock bands around anymore, but none of them are very popular. Pop and hip-hop are dominating the charts. 'Artists' like Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj are going to be the only takeaway artists from this decade that people still listen to. This is pretty much inevitable.

So when will pop music die like rock did? What will replace it? Will rock replace pop as the genre that moves the most units? Rate and comment pls

Bad troll is bad.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I'm getting sick of people saying "rock is dead". (See the UG home page for an article discussing this.)

Also, 2/10, wwf. Disappointed in you.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm getting sick of people saying "rock is dead". (See the UG home page for an article discussing this.)

Also, 2/10, wwf. Disappointed in you.

I don't know why everyone's harping on wwf for this thread, I think it's a debatable question even if he's trolling.

Rock may not be dead as a genre, but it is nowhere near the popular form of music it used to be. I don't think many can deny this.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
I don't know why everyone's harping on wwf for this thread, I think it's a debatable question even if he's trolling.

Rock may not be dead as a genre, but it is nowhere near the popular form of music it used to be. I don't think many can deny this.

Or people from today who didn't live through that era overestimate how popular it was.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I've written a long post before about how in the changing musical world, fans of Rock and Metal who aren't accustomed to it are gonna have to face up to the idea that musics die. It's something that happens a lot, you lot just aren't exposed to it. Questions like "is rock dead?" will be as commonplace as "is bassline dead?" or "is funky dead?", and in the end the answer is going to be "yes"
Quote by Rockford_rocks

Yes, and people act like Disco (which is basically pop) didn't light up the charts in the '70s. We love to list bands like Led Zeppelin as an example of "world famous bands from decades past" and lament that the typically vapid teens of today (who are just as vapid as teens of decades past) only listen to rap or pop or whatever else. Honestly though, popular music culture has always been like this.
Quote by TunerAddict
Or people from today who didn't live through that era overestimate how popular it was.

Certainly more popular than it is now
Unfortunately I think it will be a good number of years before rock dominates once again although you never really know what is going to happen. I think we're going to see different electric formats over the next 10 years (just a guess)
It will end when people's personality changes.

Pop music is liked because it gives a lot of satisfaction, with minimal listening effort needed.

It's just a quick fix.

Also as every quick fix (coffee, drugs, food etc.) the satisfaction is for short duration, and you need more and more, or something different depending on the fix.

The songs that hit number 1 fastest will also satisfy for the least amount of time, and we need a new hit song.

I wonder what will happen if pop music is suddenly banned and not released, I think we will see a serious cranky society for a while.

I also believe that if this would happen, people WILL enjoy more thought out music.

300 years ago the most simplistic music was probably a 14 minute piano concerto by Mozart, and it seemed popular among quite a broad audience.

But we are greedy, and we always take the thing with best effort/satisfaction ratio.

That's just the ****ing way it is

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 12, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, and people act like Disco (which is basically pop) didn't light up the charts in the '70s. We love to list bands like Led Zeppelin as an example of "world famous bands from decades past" and lament that the typically vapid teens of today (who are just as vapid as teens of decades past) only listen to rap or pop or whatever else. Honestly though, popular music culture has always been like this.

Disco in general is a really awful term because it incorporates a very large pool of music. Saying that Disco is equivalent to pop music just goes to show that you are not very familiar with Disco, or the popular "Disco" acts of the 70s/80s

Quote by Rockford_rocks
Certainly more popular than it is now

Anything to back that up, or is that just a gut feeling (i.e. worthless)?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

One final point before I leave this thread:

I don't think popularity of music matters as much as longevity.

For instance, is Mozart popular today? Hardly. His music was popular in his lifetime. And his music has lasted for a couple of hundred years at this point.
Or consider Bach. His music wasn't even popular during his lifetime. It wasn't until he died and a friend published his music in Bach's name that the world at large grew to know the music of Bach. Obviously, his music has lasted for a couple of hundred years as well.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 12, 2013,
>saw thread title
>ughhhhh

>saw who made it
>lol'd
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by xxdarrenxx

300 years ago the most simplistic music was probably a 14 minute piano concerto by Mozart, and it seemed popular among quite a broad audience.

Incredible
Quote by TunerAddict

Anything to back that up, or is that just a gut feeling (i.e. worthless)?

Well, what era we talking?

If you're trying to tell me rock wasn't huge when Elvis was a national fad or when the Beatles broke out (I realize they are also a pop band), I don't know if I can take that seriously.

If you're referring to the OP's (not serious) claim that Led Zeppelin and Metallica once ruled the world, I can agree that was never true.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Well, what era we talking?

If you're trying to tell me rock wasn't huge when Elvis was a national fad or when the Beatles broke out (I realize they are also a pop band), I don't know if I can take that seriously.

If you're referring to the OP's (not serious) claim that Led Zeppelin and Metallica once ruled the world, I can agree that was never true.

It depends on how we define Rock music.

OP's claims are to troll, so they aren't worth discussing because they are clearly false.

I mean, Carpenters were really big for a while. Are they rock? What about Chic? Or ABBA? I mean, ABBA is on classic rock stations all the time, are they Rock? Disco? Pop? All of the above?

At what point are the Beatles not a rock band? Is there ever a point? Same goes for them as a pop band? Why are the two genres somehow mutually exclusive?

Just seems like a stupid semantic argument that kids, and I mean kids, want to engage in so they can bitch about current popular music and pine for days they never experienced and have a very limited knowledge of.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Page 1 of 2