ok, so I have a Crate Blue Voodoo (keep the criticism to yourself please it suites me well), and am running it through a Boss DS-1 (modded) With Ibanez Destroyer Invader bridge.
Ok so I'm just lacking the full sustain sometimes, like when I'm soloing it's not full enough, feels dead and sounds like I'm fingerpicking or some shit. I then mess with my cables to see if they are the culprit and it isn't doing anything. I have the reverb set and presence on the amp decently high, past mid, which normally gives me plenty of shreddy sustain, but today the sound is lacking. It seems to cut in and out as well, like it was fine in practice for a portion then it happened so I messed with cables again and the ended up just raising the gain to get some more sustain. I don't know if it's due to cheap cables or what?
any tips?

oh and it's not the technique I'm lacking etc. I've been playing for a long time. this is something that today happened where I wasn't getting the sound I always do.
Also, it's only with fast playing. like when I'm playing a fast run that is where the fullness is not happening. I don't know if this helps or not but. it's like on the high E for example it just sounds dead and I have to pick twice as hard to get the clarity.
Last edited by Myrki_LooseLips at Sep 12, 2013,
also I was playing at a lower level, vol to like 2-3. maybe I'll try again once its cranked up in the studio, but this was happening at bedroom levels. the sound I get from my cheap Line6 bedroom amp has that shred sustain at low volume that makes the notes sound smooth and hold on, perhaps the tubes weren't warmed up enough prior to playing and also the low volume level?
get a tubescreamer-style overdrive pedal and use it to boost your overdrive channel. that's about the easiest way to do it at lower volume levels. a bad monkey is pretty nice on the cheap. gain low, volume high (on the pedal).

EDIT: that's if there's nothing wrong with your amp and/or tubes and/or cables etc. From the sounds of it your tubes could be starting to go. so check that first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
buy a few 12ax7's and rotate them in all the positions to see if there is a change in the tone of your amp.

These are the little tubes and all you do is pull them straight out and push them straight in. They will only fit 1 way
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Bad preamp tubes is almost definitely the culprit, they can come back to life so if the problem goes away thats even more confirmation. Bad cable connection is another possibility but if you bent them in a few ways it would probably temporarily line it up and seeing as you've not mentioned it i'd say it wasn't likely. Could have a loose connection in your pickups aswell, should be easy enough to see if you look at your guitar electronics. If that all checks out you need to look at some trouble shoot guides for tube amplifiers online.
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
Quote by Robbgnarly
buy a few 12ax7's and rotate them in all the positions to see if there is a change in the tone of your amp.

These are the little tubes and all you do is pull them straight out and push them straight in. They will only fit 1 way

yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay thanks see other pickups r fine it happens with both of my guitars and yeah like I said sometimes it'll play great other times there's nothing there barely. Thanks a lot I'll look online as far as the tubes go
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
How much money do you think we are talking for new preamp tubes?

$10-$20 each for decent tubes

JJ Ecc83 are nice
(new)Mullard 12ax7 are nice
JJ 5751 (this is a replacement for 12ax7) work well from what I hear

where are you located?
www.tubedepot.com
www.dougstubes.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.eurotubes.com

are all good reputable dealers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Anywhere between £8 and £80 but that top figures for NOS tubes so for a current production 12AX7 they go between £8 for factory tested and £15 for balanced triodes/gold pins all that stuff. According to crate your amp takes 4 12AX7s and 1 12AU7 (that'll be in the effects loop). So you can either buy 1 and work out which ones not working (2 of them will be for your gain channel, 1 of them will be for your clean, so if the problem is channel dependent that'll narrow it down and then the final one is for your phase inverter), or you can replace them all which is probably best considering its probably got shit Chinese ones, that said its a Crate amp so I wouldn't get your hopes up to much about it sounding better, you might just want to get it working.
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
^The BV is actually a pretty decent amp, it can hang with the big boys
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yea I have no issues with the amp, things go wrong with anything, but anyway thanks for info guys. I saw tubes called JJ 12AX7 at the local music store. but that was something I was wondering was if I needed to replace all of them or if there was a way to know a bad one from a good one? But I suppose I could just replace one at a time. Oh, also It was the gain channel this is happening. I didn't even check clean, but honestly never (hardly ever really) use the clean channel. So maybe just the two in the gain channel?
possibly

I would get at least 2 of the JJ 12ax7
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm going to try it again tomorrow, to mess around with the cables, both into the guitar and from speaker to head. If that does nothing then I'll go tube. Also, without a pedal, I really get no sustain/response at all while playing fast leads. I mean it's horrible. a power chord is fine, but the fast leads just not even worth trying. the pedal helped for a while, but now suddenly it's like I'm not playing with a pedal boosting my sound at all (happened with multiple pedals). well anyway, sorry for all the posts, just stressing, needing to get this by October shows.
Cables first, then I'll get two of the tubes and change out the drive channel preamps. Ok, so question, rather than getting two preamps and it not being the problem, is there another tube that could be causing this?
Also there is no weird sounds or anything while playing, just the lack of drive. sorry. hope this helps.
I'm going to have to +1 the preamp tube thing.

Just get a few JJs as mentioned.

You need them anyway.

I would NOT replace all of them at once. I'd actually take a known good one and rotate it through each slot until you hear a change. Then you'll know for sure. Take your time and don't bend any of the pins. It is a bit time consuming and the tubes will get a bit hot but it is worth the effort. I also recommend getting some Dioxit contact cleaner to spray on all the tube pins while you go through this exercise. I'll post a vid I made at the bottom that might help a bit.

I don't know much about the Blue Voodoo but on a lot of amps the 'Gain' tube will start with V2, sometimes V1. Doesn't matter just start with V1. V1 should be the one closest to the guitar insert jack. Your signal then passes to V2 > V3 > V4 > Power tubes. Probably the one on the right if you are looking at the amp from the front.

If for some reason the problem persists then report back.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 12, 2013,