I'm a music writer and I've had to research a lot contemporary prog bands. As an old school prog/fusion guy who loves Planet X and Voloto!, a lot of the newer bands ala Scale The Summit and these Djent bands are so pattern based it's not very musical to my ears.

It sounds like they took a picking or legato exercise and wrote a song around it. Anybody else hear that?
Nope. I do generally agree that a lot of what gets called djent is terrible but then the same is true of anything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Definitely i hear it. The problem is that a lot of new bands like that do that exactly. "Oh we'll start with this arpeggiated lick in 6/8, then change to two bars of 10/8, then half time it to 5/4 for three bars, then have a breakdown at 4/4 around 70bpm." It's crappy and formulaic, and half the time is written in odd meter just for the **** of it. I actually find that Scale the Summit are some of the worst offenders with it, i get bored of them so easily.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Doctor Zaius
I'm a music writer and I've had to research a lot contemporary prog bands. As an old school prog/fusion guy who loves Planet X and Voloto!, a lot of the newer bands ala Scale The Summit and these Djent bands are so pattern based it's not very musical to my ears.

It sounds like they took a picking or legato exercise and wrote a song around it. Anybody else hear that?

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Though you could sort of argue that a lot of traditional heavy metal bands and glam ones wrote around a major/minor scale and a couple of power chords, hahah... - I do believe there is so much emphasis placed on technique and "patterns", that writing a good song appears to be completely forgotten about. Hence I've never listened to those bands.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I agree that many new playing techniques kind of create music along and around them. Much the same way that the stages in synthesizer developement did in the 70's and 80's. New sounds made "new" ways to make music possible.

I personally make "not-so-easy" music, but the intention is not to make it complicated. Some people just hear it that way. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WerJSsM-bCE