Dear friend I can no longer name,

You were the first friend I had that asked me questions and waited around for the answer.
You were the first friend I had that woke me up long before I was ready because you thought it was important that we see the sunrise.
You were the first friend I had that convinced me I could sing.
You were the first friend I had that held my hand when I didn’t feel good enough to be touched.

When I was resting in the crevice of your side I felt like I could finally stand on my own.
When I was resting in your bed, in between you and the wall, because you were claustrophobic, I felt like I finally had all of the space in the world.
When I was resting my hand on your leg, I felt the comfort of comforting someone else.
When I was resting, with you, I was resting.

I asked you to marry me hoping you’d say yes, but knowing you wouldn’t.
I asked you to marry me because in reality, I didn’t yet have a “me” outside of you.
I asked you to marry me not knowing that your deafening silence would be the best thing to ever happen to me.
I asked you to marry me.

But now, now you’re a friend I can no longer name, in a state that I’ve never been to, with a lover that I’ve never met, and clothes that I’ve never breathed in. And I, I don’t breathe in your scent anymore, but it’s still best that you stay nameless.
This is really well composed. The first section has such a kind feel , and each section just builds it further. The ending paragraph is heartbreaking. The only suggestion I have is changing the "Dear friend I can no longer name" a little each time. It works as title, nd I feel like it's a good theme, but minor variations ("Dear friend I wanted to rename" for the last section, et cetera) could make the hook a little stronger. Still, very well done.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1616395
I feel this is over-emotional. It's just too bland for what it is. And since it's bland, but then methodically arranged, it became repetitive to me.

Despite that, I must say I thought the second big "stanza", if I can call that, was marvellous.

Great reading from you again Brett !