Hello,

Recently i bought an electric guitar (J&D) and an amp. I want to start leanrning electric guitar my own. I am completely beginner so i need to recommend me books so i can start.

Thanks in advance,
Panayotis
Take a look at rockschool grade 1 or debut. The Rockschool books are the best way to get basic techniques for guitar, scales arpeggios etc... I've been teaching rockschool for 2 years and have seen students progress from learning it!
I honestly wouldn't recommend a book learning for too much, video lessons on youtube will do much better, if you're unable to find an in real life teacher, they're also free! I'm sure plenty of members have some uploaded.
I don't know about beginner books but probably they're not very useful. I've basically started learning guitar with the scales. They are also good finger exercises in my opinion. If i'm not wrong "Chopbuilder" was pretty decent. But you can get any beginner book includes basic chords, arpeggios etc.
Quote by Facecut
A modern method for guitar by Leavitt

doesn't that get pretty complicated pretty quickly? i've been on a bit of an instructional book binge recently and i was looking up that one last night, and it seemed to get pretty complex pretty darn quickly (i mean, I've been playing for years and I thought "I'll leave that one for a while yet..." ). It also seemed to start straight in with reading music "properly", and really there's not much need to bother with that at the start unless you're planning to play classical or jazz (or similar). If he just wants to bang out some power chords (which is absolutely his prerogative, I'll add), telling him to get that book is the equivalent of telling someone who wants to learn to count that they should really start with some calculus... EDIT: yeah, I'd remembered right. It didn't even have tab on the pages I looked at. WTF!?!?!?!?! "Those basic learn to count books aren't ideal because they ignore i... you'll never learn to count properly unless you understand complex numbers"

Don't get me wrong, it did look like good stuff, but it's not exactly what I'd necessarily call a beginner book.

Quote by Velcro Man
I honestly wouldn't recommend a book learning for too much, video lessons on youtube will do much better, if you're unable to find an in real life teacher, they're also free! I'm sure plenty of members have some uploaded.

agreed.

however, sometimes those videos can be a bit disjointed (unless you find almost like a whole course on youtube by someone decent, in which case fair enough)- the big advantage of a book is that it tells you everything in the proper order etc., it takes a lot of the guesswork out of trying to figure out what to learn next etc. Admittedly that's dependent on its being a decent book...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 13, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc

agreed.

however, sometimes those videos can be a bit disjointed (unless you find almost like a whole course on youtube by someone decent, in which case fair enough)- the big advantage of a book is that it tells you everything in the proper order etc., it takes a lot of the guesswork out of trying to figure out what to learn next etc. Admittedly that's dependent on its being a decent book...

Well, there are teachers that give multiple lessons, but yeah, a lot really do just teach random things. The one things videos do much better than a book is to show some proper techniques to get a beginner started, such as proper hand and pick position.
Oh yeah, absolutely, I agree with you, I'm just warning about the (possible) randomness of it, if you're not careful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
doesn't that get pretty complicated pretty quickly? i've been on a bit of an instructional book binge recently and i was looking up that one last night, and it seemed to get pretty complex pretty darn quickly (i mean, I've been playing for years and I thought "I'll leave that one for a while yet..." ). It also seemed to start straight in with reading music "properly", and really there's not much need to bother with that at the start unless you're planning to play classical or jazz (or similar). If he just wants to bang out some power chords (which is absolutely his prerogative, I'll add), telling him to get that book is the equivalent of telling someone who wants to learn to count that they should really start with some calculus... EDIT: yeah, I'd remembered right. It didn't even have tab on the pages I looked at. WTF!?!?!?!?! "Those basic learn to count books aren't ideal because they ignore i... you'll never learn to count properly unless you understand complex numbers"

Don't get me wrong, it did look like good stuff, but it's not exactly what I'd necessarily call a beginner book.

Vol 1 is an absolute beginner book if a serious one, and aside from the chord solos(those were a bitch to read or play) it doesn't get complicated too fast. I used it with a teacher though. I could imagine how it'd seem complicated if you just go ahead and spam out exercise after exercise. I just recommend it because I managed to build a solid foundation with it and it is the only one I know from personal experience.

It is true if you know you will only ever play rock/metal there is no need to learn sheet music and other books are probably better.

For me learning sheet music is part of learning any instrument. It makes taking part in the musician community easier as its the international written language. If later you chose to use tabs most of the time thats fine but it should be a decision based on preference, not on lack of knowledge. Just speaking for myself.
Last edited by Facecut at Sep 15, 2013,
Quote by Facecut
Vol 1 is an absolute beginner book and aside from the chord solos(those were a bitch to read or play) it doesn't get complicated too fast. I used it with a teacher though.

It is true if you know you will only ever play rock/metal there is no need to learn sheet music and other books are better.

For me learning sheet music is part of learning any instrument. It makes taking part in the musician community easier as its the international written language. If you chose to use tabs most of the time thats fine but it should be a decision based on preference, not on lack of knowledge.

I agree this is a great book but without a teacher i wouldnt recommend it to a total beginner simply because it ll bore him to death really fast and may never appreciate it as he should....

For a total beginner without a teacher i would recommend books from Mucisians Institute or Troy stetina series of books, basically complete methods that provide the structure needed but still easy to read and digest(and with tabs).

Youtube videos are helpful only when you have your basics down and you are looking for specific things...cause if you are a total begginer you dont really know what you are looking for or what you should be aiming for. So whatever the choice he needs a method style of book.
Take a look at Justin Sandercoe youtube channel and go through the beginners course. Good vids that go through the babysteps without boring you to tears like books tend to. And they are easy to understand too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Facecut
(a) Vol 1 is an absolute beginner book if a serious one, and aside from the chord solos(those were a bitch to read or play) it doesn't get complicated too fast. I used it with a teacher though. I could imagine how it'd seem complicated if you just go ahead and spam out exercise after exercise. I just recommend it because I managed to build a solid foundation with it and it is the only one I know from personal experience.

(b) It is true if you know you will only ever play rock/metal there is no need to learn sheet music and other books are probably better.

(c) For me learning sheet music is part of learning any instrument. It makes taking part in the musician community easier as its the international written language. If later you chose to use tabs most of the time thats fine but it should be a decision based on preference, not on lack of knowledge. Just speaking for myself.

(a) I was looking at the one that has all 3 volumes in 1 and it looked pretty complex to me, from the get-go. And I've been playing for years. And playing other instruments before I even took up guitar (and I can already read music (badly ), just not for guitar).

As I said, it'd put me off, and I can already play (ish ). And I find reading books about e.g. music theory fun (that's not sarcasm).

So yeah, if it'd put me off, I imagine it might put off a beginner.

(b) yeah. and while I could be wrong, I imagine it's a fairly safe bet that most new players on this site want to play types of music for which being able to sight-read proper music notation is optional.

(c) that's absolutely your prerogative, but I don't think you should let your own personal opinion on the matter skew your advice.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I realise we all have our opinions, but saying something like, "I think this book is great but it's pretty heavy on "proper" music theory and proper music notation instead of tab and if you only want to play rock/indie/etc. it might be more complex than you need, at least at the start" would be better advice, IMO.

Quote by Dreamdancer11

Youtube videos are helpful only when you have your basics down and you are looking for specific things...cause if you are a total begginer you dont really know what you are looking for or what you should be aiming for. So whatever the choice he needs a method style of book.

yeah that's sort of what I was hinting at when I warned against the youtube vids, just you put it more eloquently than me :

youtube is a great resource if used properly- but it has to be used properly.

EDIT: the other big problem with youtube is that if you're a total beginner you won't really know who's a decent player/teacher and who's not. Or who's teaching you correctly and who's not. Obviously there's that problem as well with books, but only to a certain extent- while you might end up with not the best book ever, it's a fair chance if someone got a publishing deal with one of the big music publishers, he/she probably isn't totally clueless and is probably a proper teacher ok. Not so with youtube
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 15, 2013,
Depends what u wanna learn =) im still pretty new , but have heard rythym guitar is one of the best things to start with , so I bought the pregressive rythym guitar and the progressive guitar chords books , both have cds and dvds to help u , but the rythym guitar one is pretty cool to work thru as it has sheet music , tabs , chords and single notes .

Ive been working thru both books for a few months and between them , youtube and this page ( frreepower has the most awesome sticky post in the guitar techniques section , I cant recommend enuff the posture videos ) im kinda getting to the point where I wanna get lessons=) id advise the progressive books lots=)
Some great points made already - I have had success with the Fast Track Guitar Method. If you are more interested in just learning some chord forms, you can jump to lesson 7 without issue.

Youtube can be great, but it can be a dangerous place for those just starting guitar. Videos with poor technique and disinformation tend to outnumber the good videos by at least 10 to 1.
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) I was looking at the one that has all 3 volumes in 1 and it looked pretty complex to me, from the get-go. And I've been playing for years. And playing other instruments before I even took up guitar (and I can already read music (badly ), just not for guitar).

As I said, it'd put me off, and I can already play (ish ). And I find reading books about e.g. music theory fun (that's not sarcasm).

So yeah, if it'd put me off, I imagine it might put off a beginner.

(b) yeah. and while I could be wrong, I imagine it's a fairly safe bet that most new players on this site want to play types of music for which being able to sight-read proper music notation is optional.

(c) that's absolutely your prerogative, but I don't think you should let your own personal opinion on the matter skew your advice.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I realise we all have our opinions, but saying something like, "I think this book is great but it's pretty heavy on "proper" music theory and proper music notation instead of tab and if you only want to play rock/indie/etc. it might be more complex than you need, at least at the start" would be better advice, IMO.

Agreed. I figured TS would want advice flavored by opinion rather than neutral facts. I also agree that this book is probably not the best choice for a student without instructor, unless you really have the drive to treat guitar as an equal to other instruments. Usually this will collide with the reason why you chose to learn teacherless in the first place. Or the reason why choosing guitar over other instruments.
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?