Sup everyone, I'm currently working on wrapping up my new EP and I'm a couple tracks away from being done, and there's one thing I really really want to incorporate into one of my tracks somewhere as either a pre-chorus or a pre-bridge, and that's getting a really "synthesized" guitar tone.

An example of what I'm truly looking for is something along the lines of a radio-esque sound, sort of like the intro to the song Doubt by Blue Stahli

I plan on trying to add in some high end to this or layering a low-passed synth underneath the guitar track in my vision, so if anyone has any input they could lend as to how to achieve this sound, it'd be amazing!

I am a solo artist, my work is a blend of electronic and hardcore, much more geared towards the video-game industry, and I'm in the works of also soundtracking an indie game (Sierra), so not only would this guitar tone help in my solo music department, but I could also find some unique things to do with it to add it into the game!
Last edited by JadeShocks at Sep 13, 2013,
From what I've seen, it's hard to get an authentic synth tone out of a normal electric guitar. MIDI inputs and such help, but still. I'd recommend a processor that connects with your PC so that you can have a shitload of options at your fingers and infinite more than you can download. Wish I could be of more help :/
Sounds like you'd be really into filters.

Ibanez makes a neat pedal for Lo-Fi sounds that should get you toward an AM radio sound/Wish You Were Here intro, along with a 10 band EQ to mess with.
If it's just for a recording, i would use a MIDI VSTi. No point in making a guitar sound like a synth if you can just use a synth...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Are you specifically trying to generate a synth sound from an analog guitar?
Put another way, is there a reason you're not either working with a keyboard guy who can probably do what you want in fifteen minutes or installing a synth-ready pickup and interface on your guitar and running that through an interface to a synth?
Another Blue Stahli fan! \m/

Blue Stahli (like Celldweller before him) definitely backs up his tone with a synth. It's based on a sawtooth wave, with two filters running in parallel: one high pass and one low pass. The cutoffs are changed with an LFO so that they move in opposite directions.

As for the guitars, comp/boost pedals, plenty of gain, and really careful tuning will help towards the classic nu-metal tone, but a lot of it is in the EQ. Get those low and high cuts right to filter out the mud and fizz, scoop the mids, and reference your mix.

Now, the intro to "Doubt":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D1Bb6dod64

The "synthy" sound comes from cutting the pick attack (which separates the notes), making the notes run into each other. There's definitely a bandpass filter on the intro, which might be what you want. A lot of the pick attack is in the lows, and a bandpass filter in the center of the tone (1-2k maybe?) will cut the lows.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 13, 2013,
^^ ignore those people

They obviously don't care enough to check out the song for the example you meant.

It's very easy actually.

Just record your guitar as you normally would, and grab a bandpass filter, then slowly sweep it across the spectrum until you get it how you want.

In more basic terms, low pass and high pass at the same time.

Periphery does something similar in the intro of Icarus lives, but this is just a high pass filter, which is why the sound is more grainy and present.

EDIT: Ninja'd

I also suspect an octaver being present.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 13, 2013,
Thank you, Cavel and Darren, you guys actually took the time to help. That pick attack concept seems like a great use for many other things as well.

As for the people who commented before you guys, all of that irrelevant to the question. I don't think I'd have to make it more obvious that I'm making a tone through recording into a DAW. The question was based much more on software/mixing aspect than anything... The question wasn't how to mod my guitar to sound like this, or how to get my amp to sound this way...

@Velcro, I'm recording it into a daw, I already have everything set up -for recording-, I'm not trying to get the tone out of the amp, but in the mixing process of final projects.

@Max, ^

@Emporer, why use a synth to get a "synthetic" guitar tone, when I'm not trying to make a fake guitar sound... The point of this question was to use the tools at my disposal to make an actual -tone- in my mix.

@dspell... What in the world would I go and do that for? You must take me for someone who has connections with people who own hardware synths. Ain't bout dat life.

@Caval, Thank you very much. I know that Bret tunes in A# Standard, but I'm attempting to replicate it in C or D, I imagine tuning won't be an issue with this, but I do plan on starting the tone in A# standard until I get it nearly cloned, then moving up to my usual tunings and doing whatever crazy ideas come to mind with the tone. I never thought to use a bandpass either. As for the Sawtooth wave, should I just sync the LFO's to 1/8 (since my intentions are to play a riff in 1/8), or do you suspect another LFO speed? It kind of sounds like they modulate at 1/4th, but it's pretty difficult to actually pick them out because they're blended so well with the guitars (I kind of suspect him running the synth into the same channels as the guitar, or cloning the channels and cutting the highs off of the synth so it only peaks in at the upper mid and lower ranges.)

@Darren, thank you. There were reasons this thread hadn't gotten a response from me. I was nearly dumbfounded by the comments lol.

Also, I don't really hear an octaver being present, but regardless, I will try it, and who knows, it could lead to even more spectacular findings ^_^
Quote by JadeShocks
T

@dspell... What in the world would I go and do that for? You must take me for someone who has connections with people who own hardware synths. Ain't bout dat life.

Ah! Sorry. You actually do have connections with people who own hardware synths. I have a Korg Kronos and was considering whether I had the time to offer. Nevermind.
Quote by JadeShocks

@Caval, Thank you very much. I know that Bret tunes in A# Standard, but I'm attempting to replicate it in C or D, I imagine tuning won't be an issue with this, but I do plan on starting the tone in A# standard until I get it nearly cloned, then moving up to my usual tunings and doing whatever crazy ideas come to mind with the tone. I never thought to use a bandpass either. As for the Sawtooth wave, should I just sync the LFO's to 1/8 (since my intentions are to play a riff in 1/8), or do you suspect another LFO speed? It kind of sounds like they modulate at 1/4th, but it's pretty difficult to actually pick them out because they're blended so well with the guitars (I kind of suspect him running the synth into the same channels as the guitar, or cloning the channels and cutting the highs off of the synth so it only peaks in at the upper mid and lower ranges.)

Bret uses a crap-ton of different tunings, depending on the song, but that's besides the point. What I meant was to make absolutely sure your guitar's in tune, because being off by even one Hz will ruin the effect with that much distortion.
The synth thing is something completely different. It isn't even in the intro to "Doubt"; bandpassing the lead guitars will be enough. For a better example, try the drop about 40 seconds into "Corner". It's sort of a slow wah sound.
Quote by dspellman
Ah! Sorry. You actually do have connections with people who own hardware synths. I have a Korg Kronos and was considering whether I had the time to offer. Nevermind.

:P I doubt you're in the Indiana area to set me up with something like that for frequent use.

I'm trying to achieve something I could use on the fly in my own projects should I see that it fits.
Quote by Cavalcade
Bret uses a crap-ton of different tunings, depending on the song, but that's besides the point. What I meant was to make absolutely sure your guitar's in tune, because being off by even one Hz will ruin the effect with that much distortion.
The synth thing is something completely different. It isn't even in the intro to "Doubt"; bandpassing the lead guitars will be enough. For a better example, try the drop about 40 seconds into "Corner". It's sort of a slow wah sound.

What kind of base sound do you assume I should start with? Rectified? HiGain?