okay so let me preface this by saying a few things
1. im not going to not do this and just get an epiphone dot, or any other epiphone, to me, there is more to a guitar than just how it sounds, i really do LOVE the look and sound of this guitar and have my heart set on using it.
2. i understand that to most of you, this is more work than its worth, but as a fan of tom delonge, i really just want to be able to own and play one of his signature models.
so i came up with this idea, to take a tom delonge epiphone [forbidden link] (found one used for pretty cheap on CL)
and convert it to a left handed guitar. given the symmetrical design of an es 333, the lack of controls, this shouldnt be as drastic as switching a regular 335 or something.

so i basically want to remove the controls from one side, drill new ones on the other side, fill up the original holes and, in theory, viola! a left handed guitar, cant be this simple can it?
first off, no im not gonna do this myself, i can barely change my strings let alone drill into a guitar. i plan on taking it to a local shop called "the guitar Dr." sounds like the guy to go to

but before i do this, i just have a few questions

1. does the bridge HAVE to be switched, because i know some people say it will mess up the intonation of the guitar, since itll technically be upside down and the slant will be the wrong direction? other people have said it doesnt matter, i would think it does, and at the very least affect my palm muting.

2. my original plan was to have the whole thing repainted, but i dont think i wanna invest in that right now, so would the holes that are left over be easily filled? like i would assume a type of clay or something would fill in the whole, and then painted over, but would it look obvious?

3. the block going down the middle, would have to have a hole drilled as well correct? because i would assume the pickup cavity isnt big enough that it goes through the whole block. but im no expert here, and im sure some of you have seen the inside of an es before and could tell me.

4. fourth and foremost, how much (rough estimate) would this cost me? the "doctor" couldnt tell me over the phone, and i dont have the guitar to take to him (hopefully getting it tomorrow) a list of what i need done is
a) drill new holes on the other side of guitar (a total of 2)
b) rout the pickup cavity so the wiring can go through to the other side (i would think just a small hole would do the trick, but once again, im no expert)
c) fill existing holes from old control locations
possibly d) switch around the bridge

in writing it seems like a lot, but i feel a, b, and c could be done fairly quickly?
once again, i have my heart set on doing this, i dont mind devaluing this guitar, its a fairly inexpensive guitar anyways, but i dont mind devaluing it because im doing it for myself to use and to not sell. please dont post comments saying "just get a sheraton, its more versatile" because thats not what im looking for, i appreciate all the help
it will cost you more than you think to convert it properly. You will need to pull the bridge and plug the holes for the studs. You will then need to re-drill the studs in the right place (or you will never get it to intonate.

If I was doing it I would charge $250-$350 to do all the work that is required (minus the finish). I would say get a lefty and go from there, it will be cheaper to replace 1 pickup and remove some electronics than to do what you want.

If you really want to do what your proposing, it will cost you. Other than the pickup on the Tom D 335, it is a basic 335 guitar, it deff is not special.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The best solution for the holes will be a wooden plug. And I should think that in order to do this well, you're going to have to change the angle of the bridge. You're also going to have to change the output jack location and repair THAT hole (again, a piece of wood shaped correctly). Given all of that, a respray of the body is probably in order before you start putting everything back together. I realize you're starting with a cheap guitar (not derogatory, I'm comparing the price to the Gibson equivalent), so you may have enough dime left over to attack the project. But once you've done all of this, you'll want to make sure the frets are glued in and level before you string it back up.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 13, 2013,
I actually had this exact thing done by my local guitar shop they swapped the bridge round, crafted a new bone nut moved the volume knob to the bottom and moved the jack to a more les paul location and then use two wood plugs to fill the gap cost me £80 but i get mates rate there so cant judge what it would usually cost
This is stupid. It's just a 335, an Epiphone 335.

Buy a left handed 335. Once you've 'converted' it it's not a Delonge anymore so what's the point?
Don't forget to move the control cavity on the back of the guitar....
Quote by Mephaphil

Buy a left handed 335. Once you've 'converted' it it's not a Delonge anymore so what's the point?

Actually, its a 333.

But yeah- get a lefty 333 and get someone to refinish it like the DeLonge version. Faster and probably cheaper.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Doesn't the Tom Delonge come in lefty? It'll probably cost you much more to buy and convert the entire thing then to just buy it new in left handed.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by utmbarto
Doesn't the Tom Delonge come in lefty?

According to this old thread, it may have at one point, but the link to the page where t could be found has been broken.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/42581-es-333-question-from-a-lefty/

jamesboone182, why not contact Gibson/Epiphone directly before committing to a massive refurbishing project? They may be very helpful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 13, 2013,
I found some Gibson models that are similar in lefty but they are $1700. If he had that kind of budget I don't think he'd be looking at Epiphones.

I haven't seen any reasonable prices on any lefty version but found a few US replicas of it for like $300-400.
The Sheraton II and the Dot have been the only Left-handed ES-335 type guitar made by Epiphone in the last few years,
though both are 'out of production' currently
Quote by Mephaphil

The "Dot" and the "Sheraton II" are the only ES-335 style guitars that Gibson is currently showing available in left hand models. These haven't been showing up in dealers stock recently, and I do check from time to time, being a lefty and all that.

I had thought a real Gibson ES-3xx, was a bit too much money for this discussion, no?

This showed up in a search:
Couple of small problems, it's used, and resides in England, at least ATM.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 13, 2013,
Sparrow Guitars made some nifty axes, including some lefties. Sparrows are now made by Anchor. They might be worth contacting.

http://www.anchorguitars.com/store?product=24

Quote by tappooh
The question is - why does Delonge even get a signature guitar?

because he is in a band that has sold more albums than you

I actually like old Blink 182, I saw them live in 1996 when Cheshire Cat was first released, that is when Punk was really fun.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tappooh
The question is - why does Delonge even get a signature guitar?

Cuz gibson knows he has a ton of fanboys who will jizz over anything that has his name on it....like myself
Do I think he deserves a sig guitar? Not really, it's an interesting guitar, definitely caught my eye when I first saw him playing it. Would NEVER get the actual Gibson model though. Anyways I saw I could get it pretty cheap, thought itd be a fun project
Well, I just thought I'd update you, not that many of you care or will even see this. And I see many people didn't read the bottom line of the original post..... Anyways...

So I decided to just go for it, though at the very least I'd flip the strings around and play it upside down until I got enough to pay for the conversion if it were out of my price range. So right after purchasing (btw I played it for a little, upside down, and really dug the feel, a bit thinner than a dot, neck felt so nice) I headed down to a repair shop nearby. Guy told me it'd cost 250. He didn't think they'd have to do the bridge, there may be enough room to fix the intonation, and to just put some plugs in the holes cuz they couldn't match the paint, idk why I never thought of doing that.
So I said I'd come back when I had the money, then I realized that I read up on this store that everyone swore by, so I figure, I might as well head over there, so the guy can tell me the same price. I get there, he tells me the same thing, drill holes, should be enough room for the intonation, said he'd make a nut for me, and then he says "so it'll come out to be $115, what kind of strings do you want?"
If it weren't for so many positive reviews of this guy, I woulda been gone, but people are saying he does some good work, so I trust him. I'm picking it up this weekend, Ill let you know how it came out
And I see many people didn't read the bottom line of the original post

Well, I know I did.

But good luck on your endeavor!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, I know I did.

Haha well thank you for doing so
And thanks! Seems to be working out pretty well
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, I know I did.

I just realized that you were being sarcastic... Haha
No, no sarcasm.

I know it's tough to find a decent selection of guitars for lefties. So one of the things I have done is bookmark sellers with better than average selections of lefty guitars and keep my eye open for makers who make a decent number of lefty models. Even so, many of the guitars they stock tend towards the higher end axes. And many makers aren't exactly publicizing their lefty models all that well.

In this case, the added difficulty of finding an affordable lefty 333 or 335 bodystyle proved...tricky.