So I hear people asking and discussing how to go about playing live with an amp modeler. The answers always vary from buying a power amp like the peavey 50/50 and running it into a speaker cab, using a keyboard amp, using a powered pa speaker/monitor, atomic reactor, tech 21 power engine or just running it into a clean amp. I myself had done lots of research but couldnt find a good definitive answer so I never bought one.

So about a year ago I bought a fender mustang iii. Its a nice little amp. I wouldnt say the modeling is incredible, but its not horrible either. I think it sits right around nice practice amp/ back up amp territory. In general I wouldnt use it as my main amp. Then I got a hold of a line 6 pod hd500, plugged it into the effects loop return to bipas the preamp on the mustang and wow.

This is why I think think this might be a perfect solution and why it works so well. Fender specifically designed and built this power amp to work with amp modeling because the mustang is a modeling amp, They also picked speakers that again would work well with amp modeling. While the mustangs modeling is serviceable, the power amp/speaker combination makes a perfect platform for better modelers such as the pod hd500, eleven rack ect....

In the 16 years I have been playing guitar I have owned a crate vintage club 50, vox vt100, peavey 5150, laney vh100r, line 6 spider valve and mesa boogie express 5;50 with lots of various stomp boxes and I must say the pod hd500 into the effects return of the mustang is the best sounding and most versatile set up I have ever used. I never though my main rig would be all solid state but to my surprise that is the way it is and the best sounding option. Plus with how good it sounds you cant beat the price even buying both items you will be under $1000.

Anyway just wanted to share my findings, I hope this helps someone out. Has anyone else tried this combination yet?
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Something I forgot to mention is that this is also good for live playing because the rig itself is kinda fail safe. If for some reason when you are setting up to play and your pod isnt working you can use the mustang how the mustang is normally used, as modeling amp. If for some reason the mustang decides not to work you can run the pod direct to the pa. I highly doubt both would fail on you at the same time, so each piece of gear is a back up for the other one.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
All modeling amps use flat response speakers, nothing new there or only Fender idea.

The POD works well because the FX loop bypasses the preamp modeling and essentially makes the amp into a powered speaker. You can do this with any amp that has an FX loop. Peavey Bandit, Line 6 flextone, ect

There is no way I would choose the HD500 over a real amp, unless I needed extreme versatility. But having something like the POD is very nice to have in addition to a good amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by guitarguychris1
Something I forgot to mention is that this is also good for live playing because the rig itself is kinda fail safe. If for some reason when you are setting up to play and your pod isnt working you can use the mustang how the mustang is normally used, as modeling amp. If for some reason the mustang decides not to work you can run the pod direct to the pa. I highly doubt both would fail on you at the same time, so each piece of gear is a back up for the other one.

I carry a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL and a Krank 1980 to gigs so that I have a backup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate