A little back story, guy at work picked up an old Teisco guitar and knows i fix and play these quite often so he brought it in. I picked it up and played a little and instantly noticed the strings felt odd. Turns out this old guitar has a set of old flatwound strings. I know i will sound very novice admitting this but i never heard of them before. I googled them (as the kids say) and learned all about what the heck these are. So anyone here use these? They don't seem to be for me or my style of playing but they are intriguing to me. Just curious...
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
As far as I'm aware it's mostly used by jazz players and fretless players. They have less attack and a smoother feel and sound with less treble response. This adds up to being great for jazz players (it's a preference thing for them too). Due to them not having as rough edges as typical roundwounds, they're used on fretless fingerboards too to not cause damage.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I used to play on these before I switched from being a bass-enthusiast to a guitar-enthusiast about 5 years ago.

As said above, they're mostly for Jazz and Fretless play. The strings usually gave me goose-bumps when they were just out of the package (something about the texture). That being said, they were a lot easier on my fingers.

The biggest difference is the frequency response. There's far less buzzing with a set of flat-wounds although they seem to sit more in the mid and low frequencies of a bass's usual frequency band.

Anyway, don't mistake them as being just for Jazz. Steve Harris of Iron Maiden uses them. They can definitely be used for other genres, it's just a matter of preference.
very interesting, I didn't know Iron Maiden played Jazz (KIDDING). I think i need to pick up a set of these and throw them on one of my guitars just to fool around with and test out. Nothing beats putting something new through the wringer and seeing how it performs.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I used them for a while on my bass
haven't really played bass seriously though so I couldn't really give a review
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I use flats on my fretless bass for the thump, mellow tone and they don't eat away at my fret board as much.

On guitar I used a'ddarios chrome flat wounds 12-52 on my slide guitar. For me it balances out the more trebley sound from a metal side to make it more warm tone than regular round wounds. Its just a preference for me I guess. They do feel quite different on the fingers especially bass but I do like them a lot.
I have them because I got a 5 string set then ran out of money for a set of a differnty type