Ok so my 2x12 has a cable built in to the cab but ive been practicing at new studio where they have cabs and ive just been using a spare smaller guitar cable. Is this ok or do I need a special cable?
You need a speaker cable. A guitar cable isn't designed to carry the wattage that an amp puts out so you risk damaging the amp and cable if you use one.
Shit ok thx. Good thing I have only done this a couple times. Ok I have a smaller cable that does work through guiat. Will a speaker cable not play through guitar? I think my one cable is a speaker cable but it looks just like a guitar cable though its only about 5 feet long. Maybe its only a small practice cable
Yeah, use speaker cable for speakers for sure.

The ones I've bought are slightly heavier (thicker) than instrument cable and are shorter. I don't really know any good way to find out whether a particular cable is speaker or instrument cable other than reading the label on the packaging it came in...
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Last edited by crabstampede at Sep 14, 2013,
It might be safer to just go to nearest guitar center/shop and buy a speaker cable, the cheapest one that still has good plugs. Guitar cable is actually hair thin inside, most of it is insulation material. The hair thin wire cannot handle the high wattages and when pushed can melt and burn. Speaker cable on the other hand has next to no insulation making it unusable as instrument cable (noisy), its basically just thick lampcord inside so keep it separate from your guitar cables unless you can recognise it otherwise.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
Shit ok thx. Good thing I have only done this a couple times. Ok I have a smaller cable that does work through guiat. Will a speaker cable not play through guitar? I think my one cable is a speaker cable but it looks just like a guitar cable though its only about 5 feet long. Maybe its only a small practice cable

If you don't know it's a speaker cable, don't assume it's a speaker cable. Cables are really inexpensive, you probably only need a 3' or so speaker cable which is going to be under $10, probably closer to 5, and then there's no uncertainty or danger.
Speaker cables have separate wires running together, guitar have one with the other wrapped around for shielding. The guitar one will work and not blow anything but is not ideal sound wise, maybe hours of playing full blast might blow the cable, but doubtful.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 14, 2013,
Quote by Tempoe
The guitar one will work and not blow anything but is not ideal sound wise, maybe hours of playing full blast might blow the cable, but doubtful.

On the contrary, it can. As I said the cable inside instrument cables is hair thin. Bedroom volumes are fine but as you start to crank it you are starting to put some serious watts through it. The cable gauge is simply not enough so it becomes a resistor and starts to hinder the flow of electricity, which in the other hand makes the cable heat up.
http://www.fender.com/news/why-instrument-cables-and-speaker-cables-arent-interchangeable/

It propably wont get hot enough to burn the insulation or snap breaking the tube amp until you start to aproach gig volumes (I dont remember who it was but this did happen to some famous guitarist on gig) but the risk is there. Use the right cable for the right job.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3