Page 2 of 3
Quote by Arby911
I think you misunderstand my point.

No, I was just being a smarta$$ I think that's why there are quite a few true clones out there

^+1 Yeah Kranks are pretty nice and can hold their own with any Recto, JCM, 5150 ect.
Probably the best made cabs out in the last 10 yrs at least
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 14, 2013,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Crate GX130C.

Same thing as the Ampeg VH140C, just people don't want it cause it says Crate on it

You know, it always seemed like a subliminal thing that people would bypass amps completely because of the generic sounding name. I mean, it's happened to me a couple times regardless of how well the amp sounded or not . "Crate" just sounds like something that was put together in a sweatshop or something.
Quote by cdr_salamander
You know, it always seemed like a subliminal thing that people would bypass amps completely because of the generic sounding name. I mean, it's happened to me a couple times regardless of how well the amp sounded or not . "Crate" just sounds like something that was put together in a sweatshop or something.

Well Crate amps used to look like a wooden crate with a few knobs and a speaker grill. My brother had one in the early 80's, and I think it still works
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I wouldn't say a Valvestate or a Bandit are undervalued at all, they're crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well Crate amps used to look like a wooden crate with a few knobs and a speaker grill. My brother had one in the early 80's, and I think it still works

Makes sense if they were originally made to look like crates, but kinda pointless now. I think they could do much better if they renamed their line to something a little more catchier, but that's just me. Line 6 gives off the same vibe.
Quote by Cathbard

ahh the smell of cork.
Quote by cdr_salamander
Makes sense if they were originally made to look like crates, but kinda pointless now. I think they could do much better if they renamed their line to something a little more catchier, but that's just me. Line 6 gives off the same vibe.

Well they did rename their valve amps, they are called Blackheart
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gregs1020
ahh the smell of cork.

It's actually the smell of experience. I played in bands with guys using both of those amps; they're crap, end of story.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well they did rename their valve amps, they are called Blackheart

Learn something every day I suppose. Guess I never cared enough about Blackheart to research it's origin.
Quote by Cathbard
It's actually the smell of experience. I played in bands with guys using both of those amps; they're crap, end of story.

I've heard you say the Bandit is a trusty amp that many musicians use as a backup. Thank god you've come to your senses

As undervalued amps go, I'd have to say the Blue Voodoo is probably the most underrated amp among for rock music. This thing is a beast with a TS in front of it. Pair with a set of V30s and some decent tubes and this is a work horse amp for any rock musician.

I play through a Stiff 90-AD 50watt, which is basically a Krank Nineteen80 and I think both of these companies are severely undervalued for what they do. My amp cost me 550 bucks brand new and it's everything I want in a rock amp. I'm going to pair it with a Mesa 2x12 and some proper 12ax7s tubes and it's gonna be glorious.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Last edited by evmac at Sep 15, 2013,
Yeah, they are very reliable. They are a good backup because they are loud and can take bouncing around in the back of the truck for years. They sound shit, they're just solid shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911

I have no problem with high end equipment, but blatant ripoff corksniffery and arrogance greatly offends me.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Cathbard

There are people who like those amps, I would say it's just a matter of taste. Valvestate was used to make some of the best death metal tones ever. Chuck Schuldiner from band Death always used it and he wasn't the only one.

Another band called At The Gates actually used Boss Heavy Metal pedal plugged in Peavey Bandit on their Slaughter of the Soul album and it became a legendary sound for that kind of music. So obviously there are people who like those amps.
^ the valnøtt pedal is the absolute pinnacle of death metal tone, IMO
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by JackovSlayer
There are people who like those amps, I would say it's just a matter of taste. Valvestate was used to make some of the best death metal tones ever. Chuck Schuldiner from band Death always used it and he wasn't the only one.

Another band called At The Gates actually used Boss Heavy Metal pedal plugged in Peavey Bandit on their Slaughter of the Soul album and it became a legendary sound for that kind of music. So obviously there are people who like those amps.

Cath knows the Death tone. And hates it.

Actually I think it was Peavey Supreme? Oh whatever, the same god damn thing. Metalzone and HM-2 into Peavey solid state and "gothenburg" metal sound was born. In Flames got the same with Valvestate instead, though now they have moved on to 5150/6505 I think.

*edit* Entombed had just HM2 into a Bandit on their iconic albums.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Sep 15, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Cath knows the Death tone. And hates it.

Actually I think it was Peavey Supreme? Oh whatever, the same god damn thing. Metalzone and HM-2 into Peavey solid state and "gothenburg" metal sound was born. In Flames got the same with Valvestate instead, though now they have moved on to 5150/6505 I think.

*edit* Entombed had just HM2 into a Bandit on their iconic albums.

Dismember used HM-2 too as far as I know, I think theirs was plugged into a Marshall TSL (not sure about the amp).
Quote by JackovSlayer
Dismember used HM-2 too as far as I know, I think theirs was plugged into a Marshall TSL (not sure about the amp).

Of course. Cranked HM2 was THE pedal that was the source of the Swedish Sunlight Studios buzzsaw sound afterall, no other pedal (other than clones) have the same effect.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Of course. Cranked HM2 was THE pedal that was the source of the Swedish Sunlight Studios buzzsaw sound afterall, no other pedal (other than clones) have the same effect.

Looking at your sig I can see that you're a big fan of old school death metal. Valvestate, X2N and Behringer which is actually a HM-2 clone, right?
Quote by JackovSlayer
Looking at your sig I can see that you're a big fan of old school death metal. Valvestate, X2N and Behringer which is actually a HM-2 clone, right?

Its that obvious?

But yes. Oldschool death metal, extreme Thrash and black metal are the stuff I love the most.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Its that obvious?

But yes. Oldschool death metal, extreme Thrash and black metal are the stuff I love the most.

Yeah, it's that obvious.
Quote by Cathbard

so you played in some crap bands, that's the amp's fault?

Quote by gregs1020
so you played in some crap bands, that's the amp's fault?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I thought Billy Gibbons used a Valvestate in his live rig...
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I think the Fender Champ 25 or 25 SE are ridiculously undervalued. They're 25 watt tube Fenders and they regularly sell for less than $200 apiece. I traded mine for a Crate V15,* another seriously undervalued amp.

* It's gainier.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Quote by woad_yurt
I think the Fender Champ 25 or 25 SE are ridiculously undervalued. They're 25 watt tube Fenders and they regularly sell for less than $200 apiece. I traded mine for a Crate V15,* another seriously undervalued amp.

* It's gainier.

Had a 25SE. It had a nice clean tone, but it hated pedals and the distortion was bad. However for a purely clean amp, it's great. If you want Fender cleans cheap, this is a good option.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by JackovSlayer

There're people who like being pee'd on & eating cat food, but that doesn't mean it's great. Some bands live in their cars & can't afford decent gear. Just messin' with ya.
I actually had to play through a Bandit at a club one time when I sat in with the band for a set. Really wasn't all that bad after a few tweaks. It was more fun than not playing
Underrated amp? My 1998 Fender Princeton 112+ 1X12 SS combo. Ridiculous metal tone, Van Halen tone, AC/DC, Zep, great cleans. $150 or less on ebay. I've done clips in my profile with that amp, & no one can tell it from my main rigs
Dumble amps? Overrated pieces of shit. F#@king balls thinking he deserves tons more money for his amps than Mike Soldano gets for an SLO 100, & the SLO has a lifetime warranty.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Has the Peavey VTM been mentioned yet? It's one of the most underrated amps ever produced in my opinion

100% all tube, pissed off Marshall in a single channel amp oozing with tonal options. It was the Egnater Tweaker 30 years before they thought of the idea, in a bigger 60W or 120W package.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 16, 2013,
Some of the Rivera series Fenders and the Red Knobs are somewhat underrated. I think they get overlooked because they aren't a blonde, tweed or a blackface. My buddy has a red knob "The Twin" and that thing is friggin awesome. Also really heavy and loud.

Also, sticking with the Peavey train, I'm going to go with the Triple XXX. Totally not because I bought one either.

Will the electrons still get trapped if I use Iceberg or Romaine? I mean, as long as it isn't solid state right?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Sep 16, 2013,
Peavey classic 30 is s great amp for a really fair price, used of course. Also, can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, it gets a lot of love around here.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I thought Billy Gibbons used a Valvestate in his live rig...

He has used a Valvestate power amp with a JMP-1 recently. The classic ZZ-Top sound was a Marshall '68 Super Lead. You know, their good stuff?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He has used a Valvestate power amp with a JMP-1 recently. The classic ZZ-Top sound was a Marshall '68 Super Lead. You know, their good stuff?

I like all eras....so.....

Bitchin'beards eh? :p
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
JSX's are damn good for the price that I've seen some of them go for on the used market.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Will the electrons still get trapped if I use Iceberg or Romaine? I mean, as long as it isn't solid state right?

Lettuce is (depending on variety) ~95%+ water so it should be ok.

For best results I'd try to get one of the varieties which has the most water.
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I like all eras....so.....

Bitchin'beards eh? :p

No after the 2nd album ZZ Top started suckin Dik, and have ever since
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
eliminator ****in rules
really never liked anything after Tres Hombres, the MTV videos were cool because of the hot chicks, but that was it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is it bad that I just recently watched that video with Dumble talking about fragile harmonics and floating electrons in a crystal lattice?

I about died from a heart attack.
Quote by Dave_Mc
eliminator ****in rules

This man knows, Robb. Eliminator is so awesome dude, all the conventions of pop with all the gravelly half-assed vocals and sweet delicious licks of the blues.

To actually add to the conversation though, I am going to say Traynor. They make some great stuff, but you just never hear about them. You can pick them up incredibly cheap compared to what they are being put up against most of the time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.