I'm used to holding the pick the "proper" way.
http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/pinch-harmonics-how-to-hold-the-pick.jpg
I learned this way from various of people and it's effective for me when doing lead, licks, solos etc.

But when strumming it's just to stiff to hold it this way and it doesn't sound right. I can strum properly when holding the pick like this http://www.fretjam.com/image-files/3.jpg

So basically i'm really having a hard to switching ways to hold the pick. Especially with songs that has lots of strumming and licks combined. (The only way I could play songs like that is by use of finger nails or holding the pick upside down)

Any thoughts/suggestions?
... I don't see much difference between those two pictures.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sorry about that. Just disregard the second picture if it looks too similar. But the first picture is almost exactly like my picking technique. While in my strumming, the thumb is almost at the back part of the pick.
...I use lucky 13´s...they have some kind of dust-coating that allows for better grip....they tend to go useless after a while and or if I forget them in my pockets and send them thru the washing machine!! Another tip is using some sand papper to rough up the flat parts or just get the ones have "ribs" on them.

I used to switch between the "correct-grip" and the looser struming grip but found that practicing infront of a mirror and puting less tension on my wrist has Booth helped my picking technique and abled me to strum without having to use the "loose" finger grip that sends plectrums/picks flying!!

hope that was of some help
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
I suffer/suffered from this.

I had that Godzilla-punch style(punk-ish)strumming but my lead playing is very gentle,clean,jazzy so I too had problems of loosening/tightening grip on my picks- I totally get what you are saying.The pick just goes ''out'' or ''in'' of your grip. I use only Jazz II 1.0 picks but still had/have the same problem.
So I just evened it out and that helped for a bit.But I still get those derp moments when I hit the string with my thumb,not pick. I only assume but in my case it was cause I totally ucked up picking technique from the very start.
i play black metal where there's a lot of tremolo strumming interspersed with single note lines and such, and i realized recently that my trouble was generally just with the upstroke of the strum. since i (and probably most people) are more used to doing downstrokes, the pick isn't likely to shift much during those, especially since the larger thumb pad is naturally better at keeping the pick stable.

when you do an upstroke though, you really need the index finger that is hooked underneath the pick to keep it stable. practice doing deliberate upstroke strums?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
There shouldn't be "different ways of holding the pick", your grip shouldn't change regardless of whether you're strumming or picking single notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Blackst4r
...I use lucky 13´s...they have some kind of dust-coating that allows for better grip....they tend to go useless after a while and or if I forget them in my pockets and send them thru the washing machine!! Another tip is using some sand papper to rough up the flat parts or just get the ones have "ribs" on them.

I used to switch between the "correct-grip" and the looser struming grip but found that practicing infront of a mirror and puting less tension on my wrist has Booth helped my picking technique and abled me to strum without having to use the "loose" finger grip that sends plectrums/picks flying!!

hope that was of some help

Are you saying that now you only use the correct grip even when strumming?

Quote by Elderer
suffer/suffered from this.

I had that Godzilla-punch style(punk-ish)strumming but my lead playing is very gentle,clean,jazzy so I too had problems of loosening/tightening grip on my picks- I totally get what you are saying.The pick just goes ''out'' or ''in'' of your grip. I use only Jazz II 1.0 picks but still had/have the same problem.
So I just evened it out and that helped for a bit.But I still get those derp moments when I hit the string with my thumb,not pick. I only assume but in my case it was cause I totally ucked up picking technique from the very start.

So how exactly did you fix this problem? I'm sorry if i got a little confused. Thanks
Quote by porkplan

So how exactly did you fix this problem? I'm sorry if i got a little confused. Thanks

Your grip is fine and as been said you shouldnt change it when doing something different.It should always remain the same.I would suggest though that you check the pressure which you hold the pick....dont grab the pick too tightly...it ll bounce of the strings making your life difficult...just enough so that it doesnt fall of your hands.If the rest of the hand is also relaxed and not tensed you shouldnt have any problem whatsoever and certainly not changing your picking style or grip .
I see no reason why the grip should always be the same. Why narrow yourself down like that? I adjust my grip slightly for different sound and task.

Others are known to do so as well, Paul Gilbert is vocal about it although he makes a rather huge adjustment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob_SAYMeYIM
Last edited by Facecut at Sep 14, 2013,

....yupp...pretty much, when needed you can just open up your hand bringing your thumb and forefinger out to allow for lighter play and then just tightening the hand back to a fist brings the pick right back into place.

We play alot of green day....and they switch from strumming, to muted powerchords, riff like solos and then back again...good practice ;-
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Facecut
I see no reason why the grip should always be the same. Why narrow yourself down like that? I adjust my grip slightly for different sound and task.

Others are known to do so as well, Paul Gilbert is vocal about it although he makes a rather huge adjustment.

PG's picking adjustment is actually a remnant of how he used to pick everything and he just didn't bother to change it while he's strumming.

You can see it in some of the really old videos of him that are out there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
PG's picking adjustment is actually a remnant of how he used to pick everything and he just didn't bother to change it while he's strumming.

You can see it in some of the really old videos of him that are out there.

Yes, I think he said it in the video too. After he got aware of it he analyzed it and chose it for its advantages in certain circumstances.
Last edited by Facecut at Sep 16, 2013,