I'm in the market for a new guitar and so far these two have stuck out in my searches. I've never heard of DBZ until today and I can't find many reviews or videos but so far it seems a good guitar. It's pretty much the same story for the 870 in terms of videos of it. I play a wide variety of genres but mainly rock and metal. I also like a good clean sound. Any suggestions would be much appreciated .
I haven't played a DBZ, but I've played a bunch of Deans. DBZ is the company that Dean B Zelinsky (Founder of Dean guitars)stared a few years back, once he left Dean Guitars. The deans i have had experience with were semi quality guitars. That being said I wold go with the Ibanez. Premiums are nice guitars and I don't feel ibanez makes a lot of clunkers at this price point.

Just my opinion though. The DBZ might be a really nice guitar.
DBZ is Dean Zelinsky's second company- first was Dean, then DBZ- but he has left them to form Dean Zelinsky Private Label guitars.

Like Dean, DBZ guitars are aimed at the hard rock/metal guitar market moreso than other genres, so their pickups tend to be hotter, and their necks a little thinner. Personally, I'd love to own a Royale or Imperial- I just haven't gotten around to it.

Based on my past experiences with Dean Z's stuff with Dean*, I'd expect decent quality.

I can't speak to the Ibanez, other than that I've found their stuff to b consistently a good deal for the price. But my experience with Ibanez is mostly with the Artcores.

* I avoided all Dean guitars under $500, so my experiences differ from many.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
how much dearer is a prestige than the premium?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Prestiges are made in Japan at the Fugijen plant by the Team J Craft team. Premiums are made in Indonesia I think? Prestiges should have slightly better fit and finish as more time and quality control is involved. As for quality of hardware and wood I have no clue, but I would guess they are the same.
Prestige's aren't that much extra. Is there that much of a difference between them and the premiums? It doesn't necessarily have to be the 870, any other RG model would do. This will be my first Ibanez if I decide to go for them so any other recommendations would be nice.
If you go for Ibanez, make sure you try out one first. The width (at least in the RG line) is a bit wider and that goes all through the neck, compared to "regular" necks. It reminds a bit of classical guitar neck.
After that, you should really go for Prestige. They might cost just a bit more. And while they don't look as "killer" as the premium with quilted/flamed top does, I'm quite sure it's a better guitar. Pay only what you want to.

I'd highly recommend you to check Schecter guitars. They seem to be up your alley as far as your description goes.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Sep 14, 2013,
Quote by Starcounter1
Prestiges are made in Japan at the Fugijen plant by the Team J Craft team. Premiums are made in Indonesia I think? Prestiges should have slightly better fit and finish as more time and quality control is involved. As for quality of hardware and wood I have no clue, but I would guess they are the same.

Fairly certain he knows that, Dave is the resident Ibanez expert.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ nah that's far too strong, there are guys who know way more about ibanezes than I do.

though, I appreciate it

Quote by Mr happyslap
Prestige's aren't that much extra. Is there that much of a difference between them and the premiums? It doesn't necessarily have to be the 870, any other RG model would do. This will be my first Ibanez if I decide to go for them so any other recommendations would be nice.

not sure, i've never actually got as far as trying a premium But i doubt the premium would be any better, and it has a worse trem (which can be an achilles heel if it's bad enough)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right I've tired an Ibanez RG before and quite liked the feel. However I've decided to either go for the 870 or a Schecter Damien 6 Elite FR. HOWEVER i've seen an Ibanez RG-1570 Prestige. I have no idea if its considered a good prestige. All of them are preowned and around the same price so a list of pros and cons or just a straight up verdict would be great. I'm really stuck sitting on the fence with which one to go with.
all the prestiges are good, pretty much (there were a few s series and sz series prestiges which were made in korea at one point... apparently they weren't just as good, but I haven't tried them. They were discontinued pretty quickly, possibly because of the uproar caused by having prestiges which weren't made in japan ).

the 1570 is a good one, yeah. mediocre pickups, but everything else about it is good. assuming you like basswood and the neck profile. Some people don't like either.

But yeah aside from preference, if you ask me the prestige is the way to go. Assuming they're all in similar condition etc. The damien elite only has a floyd rose special. Should be (don't quote me) a direct swap for an OFR, but a 1570 will already have a quality trem in there (most likely edge pro, unless it's a newer one with the edge zero, and they normally have "Z" at the end of the model code).

Just to give you some info, sometimes people pretend their guitars are better models than they are. A prestige should say "Prestige" on the front of the headstock, and have its serial number (on the back of the headstock) begin with the letter "F".

Before about 2003 (I think) the cheaper prestiges weren't called prestige, but they were the same thing. They dropped the "1" from the model number- so RG550, 570, etc. Again, you can tell they're legit by the serial number starting with "F" (no "Prestige" on the front of the headstock with them).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 15, 2013,