First, I'm self-taught and still learning, so excuse any errors in terminology or what not.

Anyway, I started writing a song with a lyrical bass line. It's kind of bluesy...well, very bluesy. I sat down to program the bass line into Reaper and immediately had issues trying to fit it into 4/4 time. And, to, I am new to programming and it came out very robotic, and I'm not sure the timing as programmed is quite right.

I'm thinking maybe I inadvertently landed upon a groove that is in 3/4 or 6/8 time.

Is there any good online primer on when to use 3/4 or 6/8 versus 4/4, or 2/4 or whatever other options there are for rock/blues beats? Or can anyone summarize this?

Ken
The main phrase is basically this:

V - IV - IV - I | I - I - I - I

I mean, I have played around with it, and I could play it like this:

V - IV - IV | I - I - I

The last measures of the tonic are kind of a repose, no lyrics, just relaxing till the next verse, so shortening it up is not impossible.

It also occurs to me by adding one more tonic beat, I could have this:
V - IV - IV | I - I - I | I - I - I

or even this:

V - IV - IV | I - I - IV | IV - I - V

The last sounds second best to me. The best, to my ear, is still

V - IV - IV - I | I - I - I - I

with occasional variation like so:

V - IV - IV - I | I - IV - IV - I

But is that because I'm kind of stuck in 4/4 time because that's all I have done till now?

And if I stick with those 8 beats, do I have to do it 4/4, or might it makes sense to do

3/4 & 3/4 & 2/4
V - IV - IV | I - I - I | I - I
?

That would get the rhythm cycling at the chord change after 3 beats, which I think is a pretty significant moment. And, if I add in the variation here:

V - IV - IV | I - IV - IV | I - I

Then it again has the rhythm cycling at the end of the both significant chord changes, with the 2/4 tonic measure being a kind of repose / bridge back to the start.

I'm also clueless whether there is a kind of traditional beat that works with a blues chord progression variation. Like I know the rock tradition of kick - snare - kick - snare. Is there a blues traditional drum sequence? I am not looking to copy anything exactly, but I like the idea of a traditional starting point, and then adding my variations as I like.

I guess the really complicated question -- at least to me -- is how do you sequence two 3/4 drum sequences followed by a 2/4 drum sequence? Can that be done without it sounding bad?

Ken
Quote by krm27
Is there any good online primer on when to use 3/4 or 6/8 versus 4/4, or 2/4 or whatever other options there are for rock/blues beats? Or can anyone summarize this?

This is a really good lesson on time signatures Here
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math