So, I play in C standard tuning with 10 gauge strings. Problem is, its hard to do bends and vibrato, the sweet spot is so small so it always sounds a little off because the strings are so loose. I want to switch up to 11's, but what changes will I have to make? Will it help?

Embarrassed to be posting this beginner level question, I should know this shit by now.
banned
I'd switch to .12's myself. C is getting towards bari tuning.

And yes, you will need a setup.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Heavier than .011s for sure.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Basically what the others have said. I too have 0.10s or .11s for standard tuning. C tuning is a fair bit lower for the strings, so 0.12 is the lightest you should go. I do recommend 0.13s.
I'd be interested in whether or not the lower strings are heavier ones too? If not, you'll be getting a fair bit of buzzing going on, I'd have thought.

Changes you need to make? Just get tuning & intonation done/do it yourself if you know how to. Truss rod may need a little change, but I'm not sure on that one. Apart from that, just make sure the strings still fit in their nut positions.
Well, I'd personally bump up to a set of 0.11 (or maybe 0.12) if I was always tuning to C Standard. The only thing you'll need to worry about it setting up the action (if there's buzzing) and intonation.
Skip the username, call me Billy
11's only if you want to occasionally go back to E standard, I use 12's and only play Eb and D and originally had to adjust the truss rod, witch aint no biggy, but 12-13 should be good.

when u go up to those gauges make sure your guitar is setup, if the action is too high or the neck bent you will tear a vagina into your fingers
Quote by Banjocal
I'd switch to .12's myself. C is getting towards bari tuning.

And yes, you will need a setup.

I should switch to 12's, but I like to keep it on the light side. I know I'll need a setup, but mainly my concern is the nut. Will I have to cut it slightly deeper? How should I go about this? Other than that, it's just a little truss rod, action and intonation tweak right?
banned
I'd go with 12's or 13's, actually.

Btw, since you're not changing the tuning, you will need to either adjust the truss rod yourself or have a tech adjust it. The nut shouldn't be an issue, but that is something that you can get a tech to examine. Personally, I'd do a full setup. If you're not confident enough in your own ability, pay a tech to do it.

Quote by aerosmithfan95
Well, I'd personally bump up to a set of 0.11 (or maybe 0.12) if I was always tuning to C Standard. The only thing you'll need to worry about it setting up the action (if there's buzzing) and intonation.

No, because of the change in tension, when going from a lighter gauge to a heavier gauge, you need to adjust (at minimum) the truss rod. Of course, intonation and action also should be adjusted...along with everything else that a setup entails. (I'm missing one or two things, offhand, I think.)
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'd go with 12's or 13's, actually.

Btw, since you're not changing the tuning, you will need to either adjust the truss rod yourself or have a tech adjust it. The nut shouldn't be an issue, but that is something that you can get a tech to examine. Personally, I'd do a full setup. If you're not confident enough in your own ability, pay a tech to do it.

No, because of the change in tension, when going from a lighter gauge to a heavier gauge, you need to adjust (at minimum) the truss rod. Of course, intonation and action also should be adjusted...along with everything else that a setup entails. (I'm missing one or two things, offhand, I think.)

gonna try 11's first, then switch up to 12's if I feel I have to. alright, thanks mate. My main concern was the nut, but now I'm not worried. I have set up my guitar multiple times in the past, I set it up when I switched from 9's in standard to 10's in C and it was all good.
banned
like the rest of em said....at least 12´s in C
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy