Quick question to all you fiddlers out there. I thought about putting a sustainer in my Ibanez RG5EX1, which has two humbuckers and a single coil in the middle. I took my middle pickup out, leaving the gap in the middle. Would it still be as effective if I placed the sustainer in the middle gap where the old single coil was? Or would that be ineffective?
Gear:
Epiphone SG G-400
Ibanez RG5EX1 modded with Floyd Rose Pro and Dimarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire pups
Ibanez RG1420FR 10th Anniversary Prestige
Taylor 114ce
Boss GT-100
Fender Twin Amp
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Generally, no. You want the Sustainer pickup where it can exert the most force on the string (and that would be in the neck position).

Be aware that if you use the full humbucker size Sustainer driver, you can still use that as the neck pickup when the Sustainer isn't actually being used; it works as a pickup. If you use the single coil size driver, you can actually tuck a second single coil size pickup (I use a DiMarzio Fast Track II stacked humbucker) into the pickup ring with the driver.

Here's my setup (single coil size sustainer driver and DiMarzio sharing a pickup ring) for the neck pickup:

Last edited by dspellman at Sep 16, 2013,
So what you might do instead is get a HB-sized Sustainer for the neck, and put a hot single-coil or even a singlecoil-sized HB in the center position.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I quite like dspellman idea.

Never tried a stackbucker in the middle as ive never had a middle pickup guitar.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals