Hello, Ultimate Guitar people!

My name is Smoky, I am new here, I've been playing bass for about 2,5 years, harmonica too, recently started playing the guitar. Mostly, I've been trying to follow a combination of Claypools and Cliff Burtons style. I love slap and I love distorted sound of players like Cliff and Lemmy. More recently, I am influenced by Billie Sheehan and Fieldy. I am trying to learn two handed tapping because I will need it for really fast distorted solos ( which I love ) and for my guitar playing. I used Ultimate Guitar for tabs and chords because my natural sense of hearing different frequencies is not the best, but it's getting better. I will try to help the community by adding tabs as soon as possible, especially for 5 string bass. As for the guitar, I am currently interested in the P4 tuning.
______

As for the topic, I hope I got section right.

For those who might know even less than me - there are a few ways to play guitar with fingers only ( which means no plectrum ). There are the Spanish guitar and the Classical way of picking, and something I call the Jazz Fingerstyle ( something similar Jeff Beck does ).

Now - do you play guitar with fingers?

Do you use the nails technique or the 'meat part' technique ?

Who are some famous players who used it ?

Is it possible to play faster and harder stuff without a pick ( for example, the whole song Master of Puppets ) ? Can you mention some famous hard rock/power metal/speed metal guitarists who use fingerstyle ?

Any tutorials for fast solos, arpeggios and similar?

Sorry for any and all grammar mistakes - English is not my mother language.

Peace!
Last edited by realsmoky at Sep 15, 2013,
1. I play guitar both with pick and fingers. When i play a pick i often use hybrid picking, which is using your thumb and index for holding the pick, and your remaining fingers to fingerpick. When i am using fingerpicking without a pick, it's just normal fingerpicking. So i am a frequent user of both styles of playing.

2. I use the meaty part of my fingers. The reason being that i don't play classical guitar, but other styles such as metal, jazz, fusion etc. I don't need to have nails to play is what i am getting at.

3. There are many famous players for both styles of fingerpicking. There are guys like tommy emanuel, Andy Mckee, Don Ross, Eric Mongrain, Paco De Lucia and many others. There are TONS of great fingerpickers out there.

4. In my opinion it is, but i rarely see people do it. I have a good friend that does it though. He started out playing fingerstyle blues, then later got into jazz and fusion, and fingerstyle still worked great there. Then he started getting into different styles of metal, and he was thinking a long time if he really needed a pick to start playing that kind of stuff. As i've witnessed with my own eyes, you don't.

He uses his thumb and fingers as a picks on the same string, and he's getting a great sound from using it. The only metal player i can recall that uses the same technique (or a similar technique) is Tosin Abasi.

Here is a video for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kXnPU4egE

Double thumping (and adding additional fingers) is a great way to play plectrum stuff with fingers, it just takes a lot of getting used to. The hardest part according to my friend is trying to replicate the attack of a pick and at the same time control muting.

Hope that was what you were looking for and that it was to any help. Good luck!

Cheers.

Sickz.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Sep 15, 2013,
^ Fantastic and detailed post which helped me with all my questions! Fantastic work dude!~

As for Tosin, I think I saw a youtube video of him just the other day, at least I recall that guitar. Nice player!
Honestly, I find fingerpicking fast parts easier, at least string skipping things, though, that's pretty obvious, but think about it, you get up to 4 different plucks. each one doing a quarter note turns into a 32 note passage...lame example, but I find it funny >_>
I've been playing more and more fingerstyle; blues, jazzy stuff, chord-melody....

I use pretty much the classical technique as far as actual picking.... I keep my nails as do classical players using both nail and flesh and I keep the nails at sufficient length for a clear tone.
(Which is not long...)
I don't use a strictly classical technique.

Lots of prominent fingerstyle rock players... Knopfler, Buckingham, Beck... Many more.

As to speed... Listen to Paco De Lucia sometime, or for that manner any number of Flamenco/Latin-influenced players. We just watched a concert by the Gypsy Kings on AXS TV and their lead player is excellent.
Of course, anyone interested in this type of playing should listen to Chet Atkins.... Despite his "country" background the man was a masterful fingerstyle player.
Quote by Bikewer
I've been playing more and more fingerstyle; blues, jazzy stuff, chord-melody....

I use pretty much the classical technique as far as actual picking.... I keep my nails as do classical players using both nail and flesh and I keep the nails at sufficient length for a clear tone.
(Which is not long...)
I don't use a strictly classical technique.

Lots of prominent fingerstyle rock players... Knopfler, Buckingham, Beck... Many more.

As to speed... Listen to Paco De Lucia sometime, or for that manner any number of Flamenco/Latin-influenced players. We just watched a concert by the Gypsy Kings on AXS TV and their lead player is excellent.
Of course, anyone interested in this type of playing should listen to Chet Atkins.... Despite his "country" background the man was a masterful fingerstyle player.

No reason to put country in quotations, Chet Atkins style country and western music is amazing, what's considered country these days was never country. Even a lot on the radio back in the day was psuedo-country.

Also, forgot to say, I HATE using finger picks or finger nails, I just hate the feeling, I like to feel the strings I play.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Sep 17, 2013,