after watching "what just happened" and the new gameplay of "beyond: two souls", seeing the response of an animal kill vs what is the usual response of a human kill its begs the question: why does it that we feel worse when animal gets killed?

if you got some kind of scientific assay or of some sorts it would be great.

my top reasons are:

*we are still not used to see animal getting killed on screen

*we sympathise with the helplessness of the creature,while the other way is justified by the movie context

*we are so used to see people die in screen that we developed some kind of neglectance feelings over this events,so we became numb to it(think about how "offensive" it was back in the 20-40s to show people die)
cos we eat 'em
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
It's those + the fact that they didn't do anything to deserve to die. Chances are a human getting killed onscreen had it coming somehow.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I guess it's because we might consider many animals as innocent creatures, while all people have bad sides.
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Because animals are cute and furry and people are ugly and probably stole your wallet/something else that's bad
Because humans are dicks, so if we kill one we're just like "meh" but then a dog gets killed and everyone's like "awwwwe poor lil' cute helpless doggy". Humans look like dicks, dogs don't, killing a dick seems fine.
sounds like you're all closet furries.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
you can't say we feel worse when any animal gets killed. what if it was an angry dog that was attacking a child? the circumstances always matter.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Because animals are, more often than not, pets that a lot of people have and love.

It only bugs me when dogs die in movies. I don't care if a cat snuffs it because cats are dicks.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Speak for yourself. I generally find showing human death on screen more gruesome than animal death. Most of the time, animal death on screen isn't that bloody, violent or even shown at all (eg. you see the car going toward the dog, then hear the crunch and the actor's traumatised face) since otherwise they'd actually have to hurt an animal.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

ok,lets digress a little:
small children vs animal, what's is more painfull to watch?(could be cgi)
Many reasons. One of those being the fact that humans think themselves apart from common animals, those which are viewed mostly as biological mechanisms that respond to environment based on predetermined values we call animal instinct, many of us tend to think that we possess free will and our behavior is not as strictly determined by the factors which we are unable to control, therefore, many are able to blame the person for getting into an otherwise unpleasant situation.

With children and animals, though, many of us tend to sympathize more as we understand the reality of their inability to act outside of the influence of the environment.
Last edited by Aralingh at Sep 15, 2013,
It isn't really a poeple problem but the "loud minority" problem. There will always be a group of people who have complaint andthey will always get more attention then what everyone else thinks. Hence why you would mistake them for the general opinion.#

One funny example in games is the whole gender perception and image of female characters in games. So when the new Mortal Kombat had new female models with even skimpier clothing they got attacked by the "Loud Minority" of how they are showing a bad image for women bla bla bla. Which was stupid because this is a game where a guy creates a clone of himself to grab the opponents leg and rip him in half. Plus many other gruesome gory imagery.

Why they complained? It isn't easy to say maybe it's just to feel like an actavist or trying to emphasize apart of themselves for some public image. It might because people like to be apart of something again because it gives them an identity. Its really all a trend frankly that will pass.

around the 1930's 40's people complained about superman saying that it was violent and a bad example for kids.

I hoped this helped answer your question. But it's a question with many ansewer that you can go into peta and such.

But it's important to remember these aren't general opinions or the majority. They are just an extreme minority that make themselves more obvious and so media picks up on them easily.
Last edited by itsonlyauser at Sep 15, 2013,
Well you pretty much nailed it in the OP, OP.
Check out my band Disturbed
People would definitely be effected more if they save a human killed in real life then an animal. As for an on-screen scenario, I think you're second option is the most reasonable explanation.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
It depends on how they're shown being killed. When most people die on screen, it's from gun shots and rarely is any close-up detail or suffering shown. This is very common in media today, so there is usually not as intense of a reaction. There are, of course, exceptions, such as many horror films which can be much more brutal.

I'm not sure I've seen many movies with animal deaths, but if it was being inhumanely slaughtered and shown in detail, yeah I'd feel uneasy. But I'd be even more uneasy if, for example, a human were being slowly killed and shown suffering in the way that the animal was.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Sep 15, 2013,
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
It depends on how they're shown being killed. When most people die on screen, it's from gun shots and rarely is any close-up detail or suffering shown. This is very common in media today, so there is usually not as intense of a reaction. There are, of course, exceptions, such as many horror films which can be much more brutal.

I'm not sure I've seen many movies with animal deaths, but if it was being inhumanely slaughtered and shown in detail, yeah I'd feel uneasy. But I'd be even more uneasy if, for example, a human were being slowly killed and shown suffering in the way that the animal was.

I dunno why but when I read that part it reminded me of a scene in a movie called The Cell where a horse is chopped alive. I had seen that part as a kid and I can't watch it now cause I feel sad.
Idrc about how it is in the movies, in reality it's the complete opposite of what op/everyone else is saying. A dog dies.... "Who gives a shit, it's just a stupid dog.. this whole thing isn't even worth being upset about. Not like it's anything nearly as bad as if a human died." Right?? because at the end of the day when it all comes down to it, that's a real big "difference" there. Yeah, we're so smart and came up with all this crap, so we must be soooo much more important than "those animals". No... cause we're not just animals ourselves or anything.
would you suck your dog's dick if it meant it wouldn't die on screen?

Quote by noisewall11
Idrc about how it is in the movies, in reality it's the complete opposite of what op/everyone else is saying. A dog dies.... "Who gives a shit, it's just a stupid dog.. this whole thing isn't even worth being upset about. Not like it's anything nearly as bad as if a human died." Right?? because at the end of the day when it all comes down to it, that's a real big "difference" there. Yeah, we're so smart and came up with all this crap, so we must be soooo much more important than "those animals". No... cause we're not just animals ourselves or anything.

We have an Über-empath here.
I feel like when people die they did something to deserve it, so they had it coming.
Quote by Andrea55
I dunno why but when I read that part it reminded me of a scene in a movie called The Cell where a horse is chopped alive. I had seen that part as a kid and I can't watch it now cause I feel sad.

Dude, that movie freaked me out too as a kid. It came on TV a lot at night and I decided to turn it on one time and saw some dude getting his intestines ripped out by a crank and I was like NOPE.

Now I actually think it's pretty cool, but not when I was a young'n.