Page 1 of 2
Some people grow up and change, some people grow up and don't change.

The ones who don't change you remain friends with.

Just musing on life. How has people maturing changed your friendships with them?
I'm no longer friends with a lot of people from high school and none from middle and elementary school. Most have moved away. Same for me, I don't live in the same town I used to live in and I rarely communicate with some people, only over facebook.
I changed rapidly over the past year and out-matured a lot of my friends back home. It's frustrating having to cater to them in a way, you kind of feel deadlocked in conversations down all to familiar paths. That's after moving away and being forced to come back due to the end of my Masters. I got used to more interesting people from around the world, being back with natives of England is just boring.

Who even cares about the moronic and least intelligent sport that is football.

Some people do stay the same, but I'm not sure it's through choice. They just get deadlocked and feel they can't do anything because they don't have the money to achieve when really it all comes down to not being brave enough and being too comfortable. You can waste a lot time that way and you can see it in a lot of people these days. Home is just far too comfortable in this age.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
People are cocksuckers.

And cocksuckers are people.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by Anthony1991

It's when people get like this that it's a problem.

All of us back home are pretty big pop-punk fans, and one of our close friends used to be too, but she came back from first year at Uni with a highly developed taste in indie suddenly and now thinks she's more mature than everyone else because she writes for an indie music blog.
I don't really speak to anyone i went to secondary school with. I see college friends once every few weeks, and university friends about the same amount, maybe a little more frequently.

I think part of the reason it is fairly infrequent is because i live about forty minutes from college friends, and an hour and a half from uni friends, so i need to pretty much make a whole day free if i want to see either; i think it would be a little different if we lived just around the corner from one another.

I know some people who haven't really grown out of certain phases, not to a sad extent, but sometimes i do think "come on, really?". At the same time, i think it's important to retain a sense of fun, but have your head screwed on, because it's kind of sad when you meet people who are in their late 20s still acting like they are in their first year of university.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Anthony1991

Quote by Anthony1991

I do, as do people who are a lot more intelligent than you.

People are good at different things and some would say that Messi, Ronaldo etc are geniuses.

Are you? I wouldn't say so based on that comment.
omg guyz, i dont liek sport. i am so much smrtr than thos rtards
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It's when people get like this that it's a problem.

All of us back home are pretty big pop-punk fans, and one of our close friends used to be too, but she came back from first year at Uni with a highly developed taste in indie suddenly and now thinks she's more mature than everyone else because she writes for an indie music blog.

Can I come hang out with use guys?

We'll listen to The Fallen by Set Your Goals?

EDIT: I'm 23 and I like Good Charlotte. **** you.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
My friends and I have a little joke about how you know when you've grown up. Whenever one of us says something to the extent of, "I don't know man. Like, she's hot yeah, but I don't just want to sleep with her and leave," we usually follow with, "Dude, is this what growing up is like?"

Just a couple o' crazy university kids havin' a laugh.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Last edited by Rojam at Sep 15, 2013,
In the past year I've said **** you to everyone and everything I used to know, and it was all a bad idea. I should have done things way differently. Growing up is as hard as everybody says
Quote by guitarist41
Can I come hang out with use guys?

We'll listen to The Fallen by Set Your Goals?

EDIT: I'm 23 and I like Good Charlotte. **** you.

Set Your Goals are my favourite band so please come hang out.
It's not necessarily maturity that changes friendships. I think it's time spent away from people. I remember visiting a friend that I hadn't seen for over a year, only to find he's a drug addict. It was a bit of a shock to me, and I don't talk to him much anymore (not over that, but just because of how different we are now). On the other hand, there's a friend I had during high school who turned to cocaine, but I think because I was still in contact with him, seeing him every day, etc, it was less of a shock.

I only hang out with my old friends outside of school (elementary, childhood). The rest (highschool) just disappeared, though im still friends with them on facebook, lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by CL/\SH
In the past year I've said **** you to everyone and everything I used to know, and it was all a bad idea. I should have done things way differently

This. Word for word.

I wish I could go back in time 1 year today and change the decisions I made. My life would be easier, happy and I wouldn't want to ****ing kill myself.
ayy lmao
everybodys gone
and ive been here for too long
to face this on my own
well i guess this is growing up
Quote by Baby Joel
It's not necessarily maturity that changes friendships. I think it's time spent away from people. I remember visiting a friend that I hadn't seen for over a year, only to find he's a drug addict. It was a bit of a shock to me, and I don't talk to him much anymore (not over that, but just because of how different we are now). On the other hand, there's a friend I had during high school who turned to cocaine, but I think because I was still in contact with him, seeing him every day, etc, it was less of a shock.

I agree with that. You spend time away from people and come back only to find shit has changed a lot. I came back from course this summer only to find out that all my friends had a boring summer, with barely any of our classic riverside drunken campfires or any other drunken shenanigans, or barely any drinking or meeting up at all. Which was really weird, because we've been going out for beers and drinking and doing the usual shit for years now. And I leave for two months. Two ****ing months. Not long by any standards. And shit's just changed. I hope it's temporary.

A few of my good friends went out for beers with me when I got back, we got plastered at buddy's cottage. It took a little time, but we all found the time out of our schedules. Now everyone's busy with something always do mundane. ''Oh I gotta work tomorrow man'' or ''sorry man I'm really sick I feel like shit''. Man I spent the summer having a shit time, from being up at 430 every day doing crazy ******ed shit nobody in their right mind would want to do until midnight every day. And sometimes with no sleep at all for days a time essentially playing cat and mouse in battle scenarios for days on end, just constantly getting bumped.. And on the weekends we would get off we would get hammered, like stupid hamshowed and not give a single **** that it would **** us up so bad for the coming week and we would re-enter the cycle of being ass****ed because we came so half-drunk for sunday that it cluster****ed us for the rest of the week. No ****s given.

I know they're not dicking me around or anything. They're my good buddies, I know them very well. They've just mellowed off so much. I'm just sitting here like, man, when did you guys turn into such bed-time-at-9pm pussies.

I swear to christ. Two months and these dudes are all changed. Well not completely, they're still the same dudes, just with more weaksauce. Me and my other buddy literally had to kidnap our friend from his house the other day just to get him over with a group of us in the boons having a bonfire to thrown spray paint cans in.

I don't know man. People change.
Last edited by metalblaster at Sep 15, 2013,
yeah circumstances in life force you to grow up fast once i get my masters degree ill be able to get a higher paying job and move out of my parents, right now i'm surrounded by people who are nice but i don't really want to be around for the rest of my young life i want to get out and venture but you need money for that
I started talking to my childhood best friend for the first time in 9 years and we grow up together for years and years. Oddly after all this time apart we think the same way and enjoy a lot of the same things.

It was surprising cause I thought we'd each have grown up totally different after moving so far away for so long.
People change for so many different reasons, and we are all maturing and adapting at different paces. Who I hang around is constantly evolving based on my current circumstances, where I am in life, where I stand, etc. Cut people out, bring people in, this is how life goes.

I have had such a diverse variety of different friends and friend groups come and go in my life, and I anticipate I will have a ton more come and go in the future. I do not assume, declare, or consider anyone forever or constant.

That being said, I actually do have quite a few life long friends of mine that I have known since elementary school and have kept in touch with through the years and through it all. It can happen and I like when it does. As long as you do not disrespect me or my morals, I am entirely flexible to grow with you and support you, no matter which direction or how drastic you change.

Quote by Anthony1991

I like your silly "football" I find it to be one of the more enjoyable, comprehensive, and intelligent sports out there.

Quote by Mephaphil

People are good at different things and some would say that Messi, Ronaldo etc are geniuses.

Heh heh. Ronaldo is like the epitome of dumb but pretty, to me.

YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Some people grow up and change, some people grow up and don't change.

The ones who don't change you remain friends with.

Just musing on life. How has people maturing changed your friendships with them?

Ehm, I actually feel a lot more mature than my friends. (shut up Captainsnazz)

Granted I'm 2 years older than the people I hang with. But I generally get along better with older people.

I have noticed, especially in the last few years, that these people are...full of shit. 90% of the time, they are full of shit. They don't know what they are doing, but they are convinced there's a point to it all. I can't relate to them anymore.

I guess to get drunk and be stupid, they are fine, everything else is shite.

Having said that, now that I'm a bit older, I find younger girls (18) a lot more attractive. When I was their age girls seemed to be stuck up bitches. Now that you're older you can see right through them, and they know you can too.

Having said that, I'd love to bone a chick over 30.

Just musing on life.

Quote by Jako215
The older I get the less friends I have.

Same.

You know how when you were kid, you had lots of friends, cuz all you guys ever wanted to do was play tag? Or hide and seek? Or, shit, Pokemon?

Now we've got jobs, and degrees, and mortgages to pay, rent to pay. We don't have time for Pokemon.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Sep 15, 2013,
Quote by chookiecookie
This. Word for word.

I wish I could go back in time 1 year today and change the decisions I made. My life would be easier, happy and I wouldn't want to ****ing kill myself.

stray strong dude. shit's tough but we can turn it around
Quote by neidnarb11890
everybodys gone
and ive been here for too long
to face this on my own
well i guess this is growing up

yeah, i guess this is growing up
My group of friends has become smaller. I realized that if I actually wanted to do things and lead a comfortable life I would need to put in some effort and actually realize the potential I know I have, instead of just thinking that whatever unpolished shit I produce is great. Concurrently, I realized that although I hate the idea of being "part of society" and living a "boring, comfortable" life, I felt a lot worse psychologically, emotionally, and physically, if I was just lazing around, mooching off people. The existential questions I've asked myself in the last few years have been disturbing, and now, at 23, I feel no real lust for life beyond my own artistic endeavors, and the idea of having a partner, and travel. Growing up has sort of been a whittling down and focusing of my will. I think that ultimately you "grow up" so to speak, realize there isn't really much going on, that it's all boring, and you're stuck with it, but it, the life, is ultimately pretty easy to work with, so there are a lot of options to do what you want. That said, it takes actually doing something to realize the opportunities that are there for you, and doing things can be challenging for people for a variety of reasons; even if it means just getting a shitty job so you can get an apartment and play guitar all day - if it makes you happy, and you're not dying of exposure, well, that's the bees knees, man. I certainly think one of the most interesting things is charting your own development; it's heartening.
it really ****ing sucks.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Situations change and how a personal deals with them forces them to grow up, I think. Everyone fights their own battles differently and that changes a person. I like to think that I'm a bit more mature than some of my peers because I've had to deal with very unique circumstances and it has warped my view on the world and how I see and interact with new people and old friends.
Quote by Baby Joel

Yea, I find spending time together would make changes seem gradual and barely noticeable.
A while ago I took a step back and looked at a small group of friends I had since 13, and I was surprised to notice how much of a bunch of assholes they became.
Makes me wonder why I didn't ditch them earlier.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
It is what you make it. That goes for anything. Reality is yours alone.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I can't really say because there are no consistent characters in my life aside from my immediate family. I know people for a few years and suddenly that's it. Which is sad because if I died tomorrow nobody would care except for my parents. That's an exaggeration because I have a couple of friends in another city who I still call once every couple of months but that's not enough to know if our 'friendship' has changed.
I use facebook to reminisce with those I used to know back east. The contact is minimal, but i'm sure if I was to see those I grew up with since I was a child, it'd be like nothing changed except jobs and lifestyle.

I miss my friends by a big margin, but I chose this life, and what i've made of it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Idk how people have changed around me, cus I've turned cold and barely seek out human contact.
I just got a beard and they all went like -He must be older then 25 for sure! lol they didn't believe it was me but then I shaved it and they all had left me alone. But like I don't care about that, whats bothering me is that I lost both, all my friends and then my great beard. I don't even look like I'm 25 anymore and now they ask me for ID when I go to the liquor store. /sigh
Page 1 of 2