It's just a practice amp and I got my eye on

Roland Cube 40XL
Marshall MG 30 DFX or 50w
Peavey Vypyr 30
Fender Mustang II 40 watt

I play mostly some classic tunes like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and guns n roses and I'm just starting out. Also from the 4 amps that I stated, disregarding their prices, what do you think? Are they good, bad, or okay for a practice amp?
Vox VT. Any of those would probably do pretty much the same things and work ok for you. Have you tried any of those? Have you tried the lil Yamaha tube amps?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Avoid the Marshall MG. The other ones should be pretty alright.

Quote by lucky1978
Have you tried any of those? Have you tried the lil Yamaha tube amps?

You meant the THR's? They are not tube amps, just solid state combos that look like lunchbox tube heads.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by godgrinder
Avoid the Marshall MG. The other ones should be pretty alright.

You meant the THR's? They are not tube amps, just solid state combos that look like lunchbox tube heads.

Kudos to Yamaha then cause those amps sound really good. If you're just jamming in your bedroom it'd be perfect.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Forget the MG, its better off as a paper weight
Vox VT is good choice.
Peavey Vypyr is also good.
Used to have a Vox VT, loved it, had to sell it for moving money last year.
Just got a Vypyr 30 about a week ago. Love it.
It does the high gain thing better than the Vox VT IMO.
Has a Plexi setting that nails a lot of the classic rock sounds.
+1 on the vox valvetronix
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go with the vypr. it's got the best ways of editing stuff and accessing it. Personally, the only other amp I can speak against on the list is the mustang, since it doesn't have the best way of editing sounds (limited parameters for modulation, no mid knob for your EQ).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Vypyr 30. None of the others will give you a 12" speaker, and I think that's a more important feature than a modeling amp that is "more suited for" a certain sound.

I've owned 3 Vypyrs and I have absolutely no idea why people try to shoehorn them as metal amps, other than just to have a way to push them into a category (which is obviously the opposite of the purpose of a modeling amp in the first place).

The Fender Mustang I + II don't even have 3 band EQs. Garbage for that reason IMO. The III is a cool amp though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Go for Blackstar HT-5.

I went through Mustang, MGCFX, iPad jam up etc...
It's not something you can compare on youtube.
I didnt want to believe ppl advising me this, and now i regret it.

GL
My lead guitarist bought a blackstar ht5r......holy shit does that thing sound awesome!! We have the ht100´s for gigging and play Classic rock (acdc, Zep, greenday, guns and so on) so it´s got the tone your looking for

... we started out with vox VT series...and trust me they really are a great amp...but you grow tired of the modeling sound after a while and just end up wasting money when you have to sell it 6 months later for a Blackstar ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Last edited by Blackst4r at Sep 17, 2013,
Quote by Blackst4r
My lead guitarist bought a blackstar ht5r......holy shit does that thing sound awesome!! We have the ht100´s for gigging and play Classic rock (acdc, Zep, greenday, guns and so on) so it´s got the tone your looking for

... we started out with vox VT series...and trust me they really are a great amp...but you grow tired of the modeling sound after a while and just end up wasting money when you have to sell it 6 months later for a Blackstar ;-)

For the price of a HT5 combo you could almost buy a 6505+ 112. And most of the distortion on the HT series come from solid state components.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by godgrinder
For the price of a HT5 combo you could almost buy a 6505+ 112. And most of the distortion on the HT series come from solid state components.

...not really....distortion is from the tubes.....

"The HT-5 preamplifier is based on the HT-Dual pedal. As is the case in the
HT-Dual, we use solid-state circuits to provide "pre-gain" before the ECC83
valve. The diodes are part of this "pre-gain circuit" and are used to limit
the signal level being driven into the valve and hence maintain the correct
operating conditions for the valve in this application.

Most importantly, the valve is the last amplification (and clipping) device
in the signal chain and the overall gain structure is designed such that the
compression and harmonics you hear are generated solely from the valve
itself

and as for solid state Components....if you have just one pedal infront of your amp .....you´ve done exactly the same as Blackstar....even worse if you have it in the loop?!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
^ wow you must be using some badass newfangled pedals there. what pedal do you have that converts a genuinely-all-tube amp's phase inverter to solid state?

EDIT: also I'm pretty sure that marketing spiel by blackstar has been laughed out of court debunked here before now.

Quote by godgrinder

I dunno about "almost all", but a fair bit of it. And a load of the amplification. And the phase inverter.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 17, 2013,
OP is looking for practice amp not 100W monster. Who cares how the sound is being made, as long as its good.
Trust your ears not your eyes!
^ wow you must be using some badass newfangled pedals there. what pedal do you have that converts a genuinely-all-tube amp's phase inverter to solid state?

EDIT: also I'm pretty sure that marketing spiel by blackstar has been laughed out of court debunked here before now.

...none....the au7 does that quite well in my HTV-100

...and that´s still not what I meant....

.....they guys looking for a good practice amp, for Classic rock...and that´s what I suggested......but every purist out there with an opinion seems to Believe that the only way to go is a handwired marshall from 1972.....and that´s not what he´s asking for
Quote by Dave_Mc

...none....the au7 does that quite well in my HTV-100

...and that´s still not what I meant....

.....they guys looking for a good practice amp, for Classic rock...and that´s what I suggested......but every purist out there with an opinion seems to Believe that the only way to go is a handwired marshall from 1972.....and that´s not what he´s asking for

No, actually pretty well everyone here suggested a modeling amp. They are perfectly fine for practice and cheaper than Blackstar, and IMO sound about as good depending on the amp. You also have the added benefit of not needing to change any tubes or such silliness like that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Blackst4r

(a) ...none....the au7 does that quite well in my HTV-100

(b) ...and that´s still not what I meant....

(c) .....they guys looking for a good practice amp, for Classic rock...and that´s what I suggested......but every purist out there with an opinion seems to Believe that the only way to go is a handwired marshall from 1972.....and that´s not what he´s asking for

(a) nice try, we were talking about the ht5

(b) what did you mean, then?

(c) no-one suggested a handwired marshall from 1972
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried the marshall mg one and I can't get the right sound out of it, and I didn't like the distortion the marshall mg gave me, I haven't tried the other ones yet though
TS, you should really consider the Peavey Vypyr. As far as the cheaper modeling amps go, you can't beat the Vypyr 30.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.