Hey.

So i'm going to be starting a Warmoth 80's guitar soon (with 1 bridge pickup and a floyd) and I am in search of a good pickup that captures the 80's hair metal scene no matter what amp. (I got a Fender Deluxe Reverb, Marshall JCM800 and 1987 Plexi if it matters.)

I already have a Super Distortion in my Les Paul and I don't really want another one in this build...

I heard that the Seymour Duncan JB pickup is pretty good for 80's stuff... But i'm not sure on the clean.

I want a pickup that has a big open crunch distorted sound (Think: Lay It Down by RATT or Inside Out by XYZ) and then can manage a nice bluesy 70's/80's clean sound (Think: Lenny by Stevie Ray Vaughan) I will coil tap the pickup if I have to.

Anything that fits that description?

I'm fine with trying out some not-so-famous pickup brands and such.

Thanks!!
You shouldn't be worried about cleans if you get a guitar with only a bridge humbucker.
Really, you'll most likely not get SRV tones from a guitar like that.

However, for the pickup I always thought the JB was THE 80's hair metal pickups, but for alternatives there's the Dimarzio Norton and the AT-1.

Never played a Norton, but I have an AT-1 in my Strat and it sounds pretty damn awesome. Warm, fat, juicy with a driving mid-range, smooth treble, big bottom end and a singing lead tone. The Norton is supposed to be a bit brighter, more aggressive with slightly less low-end. Both the AT-1 and Norton are often referred to as "the better JB".

Oh and before 311 recommends it, there's the Duncan Custom Custom (SH-11), which would work pretty well too.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'd still say a Super Distortion might do you well. It'll sound different to your Les Paul if that's what you're concerned about.
The ToneZone is also something I'd recommend.

And lastly..

You shouldn't be worried about cleans if you get a guitar with only a bridge humbucker.
Really, you'll most likely not get SRV tones from a guitar like that.

+100000000
You've got the wrong guitar for that...pretty much as wrong as you can get in my opinion.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
What about a "Screamin' Demon" George Lynch pickup?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
if you ask me the duncan distortion probably sounds more 80s than the jb (depends on exactly what you mean by 80s, though). but it's not terribly versatile. it's also not my favourite pickup either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alot of guys in the 80s used the duncan distortion as well. Since I'm a big fan of lundgren pickups I'm gonna recommend his smooth operator pickup too.
I've been watching videos on youtube by James Ryan and he seems to get amazing sounds from his pickups by "The Creamery", perhaps that's something to look into? also, Eddie used a Gibson humbucker in his frankenstrat!
The Creamery makes awesome pickups, but asking for crunchy distortion AND creamy cleans out of a solo bridge HB may be a tall order. You might have to tap/split it.

Still, I like their Dirty Shirt- its going in the bridge of a custom Tele I'm having built.

While I'm here, I might as well suggest the Tesla VR-Extreme and the RailHammer Chisel.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 16, 2013,
Quote by dennahs
also, Eddie used a Gibson humbucker in his frankenstrat!

that's probably why his cleans suck so bad.
The Duncan Distortion is probably one of the best pickups you can buy for that sort of sound dude. It has harsh cleans though.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you ask me the duncan distortion probably sounds more 80s than the jb (depends on exactly what you mean by 80s, though). but it's not terribly versatile. it's also not my favourite pickup either.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Duncan Distortion is probably one of the best pickups you can buy for that sort of sound dude. It has harsh cleans though.

+1

I have read that the Distortion is pretty close to a Gibson 500T - it's a lot more "classic" than most other pups.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you like the Super Distortion stick with it (unless you really want to try something new).

I've an SD in my LP and my Strat. They sound very different. Responds well to the knob (volume not the one playing the guitar )
Quote by -Ed-
If you like the Super Distortion stick with it (unless you really want to try something new).

I've an SD in my LP and my Strat. They sound very different. Responds well to the knob (volume not the one playing the guitar )

I would go with a DiMarzio Super Distortion over a Duncan Distortion

Either way you would be fine, but its just preference. I would take either over a JB.

You will not get anything near SRV with that set up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Offworld92
+1

I have read that the Distortion is pretty close to a Gibson 500T - it's a lot more "classic" than most other pups.

And a lot more kickass too.

The 500T and the SH6 are killer pickups.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
The Rebel Yell...yes!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Offworld92
+1

No idea, it's ages since I've tried a 500T and can't remember anything about it (other than thinking it was too hot for "classic" gibson models like the les paul classic it was in )

But yeah it's very 80s, a bit scooped (EDIT: scooped is probably the wrong word. it's not that scooped. if even scooped at all. just it sorta gives that 80s hair metal and metal type of tone which tends to suggest scooped) and fizzy. i think george lynch used one in the 80s.

EDIT: i'd have said a super distortion was more "classic-sounding" than a duncan distortion. Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't call a duncan distortion a "modern-sounding" pickup either, really, but it's more modern-sounding than a super-distortion. the super distortion (to my ears) just kinda sounded like a more or less classic-voiced pickup that had had its output massively ramped up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 17, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
No idea, it's ages since I've tried a 500T and can't remember anything about it (other than thinking it was too hot for "classic" gibson models like the les paul classic it was in )

But yeah it's very 80s, a bit scooped (EDIT: scooped is probably the wrong word. it's not that scooped. if even scooped at all. just it sorta gives that 80s hair metal and metal type of tone which tends to suggest scooped) and fizzy. i think george lynch used one in the 80s.

EDIT: i'd have said a super distortion was more "classic-sounding" than a duncan distortion. Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't call a duncan distortion a "modern-sounding" pickup either, really, but it's more modern-sounding than a super-distortion. the super distortion (to my ears) just kinda sounded like a more or less classic-voiced pickup that had had its output massively ramped up.

I agree on all points, the Super Distortion is definitely more old school sounding. I said the Distortion sounds more classic than *most* other pups - the Super Distortion being the exception.

I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but obviously all of this talk is in reference to the 80s sound, hair metal etc.. Classic in that sense, obviously not trying to say the Distortion is a PAF or anything like that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I didn't like the SD in my mohagony maple capped mockingbird as it was too dark. I put it in the middle position of my ltd sc500 wich is a maple neckthru alder wing and it sounds good it has a jb in the bridge and its a little to articulate so im thinking a jb would be good in a darker wood.
Well; I remember in the 1980s that there were essentially two camps: those of us who came of age in the mid-1970s and were big fans of DiMarzios, and those who came of age a bit later and gravitated toward the new kid on the block, Seymour Duncan. I think you would be happy with a DiMarzio Super Distortion, if you want the "Hair Metal" sound of the 1980s. DiMarzios were very popular, both as after-market pickups and as original equipment in a lot of the pointy-shaped things that guitarists played back then. If you like Duncans, then go with the Duncan Distortion. i think it is a better all-around pickup than the DiMarzio SD.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley