Page 1 of 3
I came across this article from radio personality (and photographer/writer/musician) Lou Brutus yesterday. It had been shared by a few people on Facebook, and it's an interesting read.

As you see, it's a fairly lengthy blog based around Avenged Sevenfold hitting #1 on the charts with their recent album release and how rock fans and musicians have reacted. Essentially, Brutus is asking why, in 2013 when Rock music has been brushed under the carpet by mainstream music outlets, are Rock fans showing resiliency towards rock act hitting #1 on the charts.

I'll share my thoughts later. I too work in radio, hosting a morning show. I'm at work right now, and I'll probably talk about this on my show this morning, so I may use some of your comments during my segment about this (and don't worry, I won't use names and I plan to not take a side, for what it's worth.)

I think Lou has his stronger and weaker points in this article, which I'll post about later when I have time. Until then, here's the article. Being that this website, and it's overall guitar-based theme, is full of "rock" fans of all sorts, I'm interested in reading responses.

SHUT THE **** UP
(Expanded Edition)
by Lou Brutus

It’s happening again.

An album by a rock band takes the Number One spot on charts around the globe and how does the rock world react?

Like a bunch of jealous, little bitches.

What the hell is the matter with you people? You whine and moan that all of the sales and all of the media and all of the attention goes to a bunch of pre-fabricated pop idols, but then when one of your own actually does break thru, in this case Avenged Sevenfold, you race each another to your thesauruses to see who can come up with more variations on the word "sucks" to describe them.

In the pop world when someone breaks thru, everybody wants to work with him or her. They do duets; they show up on each other’s tracks. They work together figuratively and literally. In the rock world when someone breaks thru, too many people start looking for a hammer to nail them back down.

The fact that a lot of this bullshit comes from other rock musicians is mind-boggling. Instead of getting yourself all riled up and coming up with creative ways to crap on another musician, I have something better you can do. Take that energy and put it into making your own music better so that one day maybe you’ll have the success of the person you want to rag on so badly. Who knows? Maybe one day you'll be so big that jackasses will blindly attack for no good reason, too.

Being in a band is hard work. Anyone who ever tried to put a group together for a high school talent show knows that. Being in any kind of professional ensemble can be nightmarish even when everthing is going your way, which it rarely does. That's why I'm happy for ANY artist who can squeeze ANY success out of the business as the odds are stacked so highly against them they've a better chance of being struck by lightning as they're buying a winning lottery ticket while riding a unicorn.

A large part of the problem is that very few people identify themselves anymore by what they like. They prefer to identify themselves by what they hate. And that sure is getting tired. I understand that’s an easier road to go down and leaves you less prone to an attack from someone else but I don’t want to hear about what you hate. I’ve got plenty of stuff I already don’t care for. Tell me about something that’s great so maybe it will make my time on this planet surrounded by a bunch of bitter complainers a bit more tolerable.

Oh, and I don't give a rat's patootie who you think is robbing what from who. It's usually the first salvo fired by those who spend all their time on the The Junior Rock Critic Circle Jerk Merry-Go-Round. Trust me, I could probably listen to any album by any band and have a damn good idea who they like and are influenced by. Everything that everyone is doing isn't much more than elaborate rip-offs of what Chuck Berry came up with more then half a century ago. Dont' get me wrong, I love to play "Spot the Influence" as much as the next music nerd, I'm just not going to get out a baseball bat for an online beatdown just because you think a band wears their influences on their sleeve too strongly.

It’s kind of ironic that many of the worst offenders are metal fans. Hey, aren’t you the ones always complaining about being ostracized for what music you like? Then where do you come off dumping on somebody else for the music they like? The next time someone snickers at you for the stoner-death-symphonic-technical-doom-sludge-gothic-industrial-grindcore-progressive-symphonic-thrash metal t-shirt you’re wearing, try to remember you pulled the same asshole bullshit they’re doing to you.

You should definitely think twice before you ever again utter the phrase "it's not as good as their earlier albums." You know who says that? The same people who love to bitch about a band making the same album over and over again. Bands are supposed to change and evolve. I don't love every album KoRn has ever done but at least they're busting ass on each release trying to make someting happen.

Lets also give the word “talentless” a vacation. You may not like the music someone makes but there’s a good chance if they’re in a touring band, doing a hundred shows a year, after having been rehearsing since the age of ten, they are far more adept at their craft then you are at anything you’re ever going to do in your entire lifetime of typing insults on a keyboard, so lay off “talentless.”

"They're overrated!" Yeah, that's another one. They're not overrated, you just don't like them. You're underrating them. "Sheeple" is overdone, too. It's often bleated by someone resentful of those who don't travel in the same wooly herd that they do.

And give the zealotry a rest, too. I’m tired of hearing people say, “They’re not pure.” Shove your idea of purity up your ass with a spoon of custard. It’s usually the guy running around shouting “METAL” and “SHOW ME YOUR HORNS,” while dishing smack about someone as “not metal enough,” that’s the biggest poser of the bunch.

Here’s another newsflash: A haircut, piercings, designer rock clothing and a bunch of ink don’t make you metal. Some of the most metal people I’ve known had no ink, hair that had never seen the inside of a salon, and would'nt be caught dead in anything other than a black t-shirt. Its just more poser fuel. Some of the phoniest rockers I've ever met look like they just stepped out of the pages of a magazine. Don't be fooled.

Finally, this is not a call to kiss any band's ass. It's only a reminder that if you don't like it, just move on without all the hate. Life is too short to spend it being a douchebag.

So the next time you have an urge to get online to dump on someone who makes music, especially if you make music as well, do yourself and the rest of the world a great, big, fat, favor.

Shut the **** up.

Sincerely,

Lou Brutus
September 15, 2013
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Thing is though... the new A7x is basically a montage of every radio friendly and popular hard rock trope ever.

So it IS basically a pop album, in the same way The Beatles were a pop band, it's a popular sound and so it's no metal victory, it's proving that Metal and Modern Rock isn't popular... because Hail to the King may as well of come out in the 80's. Around the same time Watain (the black metal band) got a number 1 album spot in Scandinavia... THAT'S fuqing impressive.

I mean he's not wrong about the elitism... but I don't get why people are getting worked up over A7X getting #1.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 16, 2013,
He does have a fair point, though I think he is painting with a slightly wide brush the way he phrases things. There are morons and snobs within all genres of music.
Quote by thatmadradioguy
Here’s another newsflash: A haircut, piercings, designer rock clothing and a bunch of ink don’t make you metal. Some of the most metal people I’ve known had no ink, hair that had never seen the inside of a salon, and would'nt be caught dead in anything other than a black t-shirt. Its just more poser fuel. Some of the phoniest rockers I've ever met look like they just stepped out of the pages of a magazine. Don't be fooled.

This bit honestly confused me? Who thinks like that? Is this what kids think is metal these days?

What?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
This bit honestly confused me? Who thinks like that? Is this what kids think is metal these days?

What?

Luckily I don't think anyone these days could give half a shit what 'is metal'
I actually read the whole thing.
I agree with it.
Just because you don't like a particular band or artist, doesn't mean they suck.
If they are at least making an "equal to McDonalds wages" at it, then they are doing ok.
Which would you rather do for fast food wages? work fast food, or rock out?
95% valid argument. Although the gist of his post is don't be a douchebag and he comes across like a douchebag. Anyway, I agree with his comments whole heatedly!
because avenged sevenfold are bad and there are thousands of better bands that dont get a percentage of their airplay

it's unfair, that's why people get all pissed about it. author is an idiot
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I skimmed and I kinda agree but I'm more like "who cares lol"

I'm just glad I'm not really a part of that culture anymore
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I skimmed and I kinda agree but I'm more like "who cares lol"

Makes a change
First off the guy is hilarious, but second I completely agree with him. I really can't stand A7x with the exception of a few of their songs, but when a band tops the charts that isn't the same cookie cutter pop act that is always up there I have to applaud.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
So, I guess because a rock act hits number 1 I have to support them? No, I've never liked anything A7X has done and I don't give a toss where they chart, I still don't like their music. They have improved since they first started, and now if they can make a straight-ahead heavy metal album that isn't just ripping off Metallica I may even say they're good.

However, calling them untalented is wrong. A7X are very great players, I just don't like their music, and their fans tend to get on my tits.
"A large part of the problem is that very few people identify themselves anymore by what they like. They prefer to identify themselves by what they hate. And that sure is getting tired."

I really like that part. The guy is quite right. No matter what, the whole argument is a joke and I like to stay out of it when I hear people moaning.
Quote by schwinginbatman

However, calling them untalented is wrong. A7X are very great players, I just don't like their music, and their fans tend to get on my tits.
They're talented at making bad music I agree with what the guy is saying but there's a reason people really into music get irritated (the whiny ones being the exception he's outlining) because they're just creating digestible tripe to appeal to the masses.

It's kind of like being talented at clipping your toenails.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
radio personalities make a living promoting bland and generic excuses for music so this shouldn't really shock anyone
Quote by Mr E Meat
radio personalities make a living promoting bland and generic excuses for music so this shouldn't really shock anyone

No they don't lol
They're talented at making bad music I agree with what the guy is saying but there's a reason people really into music get irritated (the whiny ones being the exception he's outlining) because they're just creating digestible tripe to appeal to the masses.
What does "I'm really in to music" even mean? As far as I can see every single person I know has a deep connection with some music regardless of what it is. I think most often people mean "I don't listen to Pop" when they say that, like being really in to Pop music is an impossible thing, which it really isn't
Quote by willT08
No they don't lol
What does "I'm really in to music" even mean?

It means you've fallen into a tuba.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by willT08
No they don't lol
What does "I'm really in to music" even mean? As far as I can see every single person I know has a deep connection with some music regardless of what it is. I think most often people mean "I don't listen to Pop" when they say that, like being really in to Pop music is an impossible thing, which it really isn't
There's being into pop that's interesting, experiments etc and there's listening to 1D or something similar. There's a lot of pop music (especially if we go by the musicological definition of the form of music) which really pushes boundaries. You're kind of pushing words into other's mouths.

I'm talking about people who take an interest in music as an art and really explore music further than what they hear on the radio and Kerrang!/just have it as background music.

"no they don't lol"
most of them do.
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 16, 2013,
Quote by willT08
What does "I'm really in to music" even mean?

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by willT08
No they don't lol

Does the 'T' stand for 'Troll'?
Nothing new in all this, Zepplin and Sabbath were bashed too by all of mainstream when they came out.

People are jealous little c*u*n*t*s. And now, with the internet, everyone's a wiseass critic.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Quote by sage76
Nothing new in all this, Zepplin and Sabbath were bashed too by all of mainstream when they came out.

People are jealous little c*u*n*t*s. And now, with the internet, everyone's a wiseass critic.

Zeppelin and Sabbath are both mainstream.
Quote by Todd Hart
Zeppelin and Sabbath are both mainstream.
At least Sabbath led to bands like Earth and helped doom and stuff.
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal

I'm talking about people who take an interest in music as an art and really explore music further than what they hear on the radio and Kerrang!/just have it as background music.

I don't get what everyone's problem with radio is, I really don't. How shit is American radio that so many of you hate it so much?

But you realize you're talking about an absolutely miniscule portion of society that is interested in music as an art form? Why you'd think or expect them to have any sway on popular culture is beyond me.

And, let's be serious, most people who say "I'm really in to music" say it because they like ADTR, play guitar like every other Tom, Dick and Harry, and have been to two gigs in their life. They're not people who have decided to study music in any serious way, except reading a theory book at home so they can shred like Mustaine. They're not creating music as art, nor are they putting on nights to showcase it. They aren't trying to get an online radio slot so they can show people around the world this music they love.

They're on the internet whining that 1D isn't interesting.
stoner-death-symphonic-technical-doom-sludge-gothic-industrial-grindcore-progressive-symphonic-thrash metal t-shirt

I want one.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by whoomit
Does the 'T' stand for 'Troll'?

It stands for Tucker, Facebook me
Quote by willT08

Who tells people what their full name is on the internet? idiot.
Quote by willT08
I don't what everyone's problem with radio is, I really don't. How shit is American radio that so many of you hate it so much?

But you realize you're talking about an absolutely miniscule portion of society that is interested in music as an art form? Why you'd think or expect them to have any sway on popular culture is beyond me.

And, let's be serious, most people who say "I'm really in to music" say it because they like ADTR, play guitar like every other Tom, Dick and Harry, and have been to two gigs in their life. They're not people who have decided to study music in any serious way, except reading a theory book at home so they can shred like Mustaine. They're not creating music as art, nor are they putting on nights to showcase it. They aren't trying to get an online radio slot so they can show people around the world this music they love.

They're on the internet whining that 1D isn't interesting.
artitically devoid music made solely to sell to the ignorant

Of course I am. I don't expect them to at all, but that doesn't detract from my original point

ah, so their lack of adhesion to what the statement actually means negates what it actually means?

People who really enjoy music and explore it have every right to get irritated by artists selling art as a commodity rather than as an expression or something to progress and experiment with. When they get all pissy or are the type you describe, that's when the guy's post is valid. But people who actually like it are irritated for a rasin.

Quote by Todd Hart
Who tells people what their full name is on the internet? idiot.
I am Cal Beaney and if you want to message me on FB or w/e go ahead.

Quote by Jackal58
I want one.
Just buy an Unexpect hoodie.
ha-haaa
Quote by willT08

I don't have Facebook I'm afraid.

Well... You might be able to find me, because somebody made me an account a year or two back. There's probably nothing on it, apart from a load of message from one mate who always forgets that it's not really my account.
Quote by Banjocal

Of course I am. I don't expect them to at all, but that doesn't detract from my original point

ah, so their lack of adhesion to what the statement actual means negates what it actually means?

Unless you listen to the wind, birds, and whale songs all music is artificial.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Banjocal
Is that really what you think radio is? Come on, man.

Well I thought your original point was that you get to whine about A7X being successful because you've decided you're musically enlightened for some reason.

ah, so their lack of adhesion to what the statement actual means negates what it actually means?

Well to be fair you just made up what it means to you earlier. I don't know that there's an accepted definition of "I'm really in to music", so I'll talk to it's most popular use
^of course. I'm talking about stuff made by people which is designed solely to appeal to trends and uses to most generic compositional methods available.

Quote by willT08
Is that really what you think radio is? Come on, man.

Well I thought your original point was that you get to whine about A7X being successful because you've decided you're musically enlightened for some reason.

Well to be fair you just made up what it means to you earlier. I don't know that there's an accepted definition of "I'm really in to music", so I'll talk to it's most popular use
most of music music played on it is

nah, I'm not hugely musically knowledgeable bar a couple of areas of music, but people who dedicate their lives (or a large part of it) to exploring music will get frustrated by this manufactered shit some mainstream labels put out and I can understand that

fair enough, but that doesn't detract from people genuinely into it saying that. the gy in the op getting annoyed with the ADTR or whatever it was I get, but people genuinely meaning that aren't like that generally
ha-haaa
Quote by Jackal58
Unless you listen to the wind, birds, and whale songs all music is artificial.

yeah, birds and whales are the only people allowed to make genuine music. all this human shit is so mainstream, ****in poseurs
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by willT08

What does "I'm really in to music" even mean? As far as I can see every single person I know has a deep connection with some music regardless of what it is.

Really? I don't think so, most people I know seem to just have it on for the background or just kind of a statement about themselves I think.

But I'm still in high school so maybe that's why
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Banjocal
most of music music played on it is
lolnah

sorry your radio culture sucks bro. i'm gonna bang on Rinse now

nah, I'm not hugely musically knowledgeable bar a couple of areas of music, but people who dedicate their lives to exploring music will get frustrated by this manufactered shit some mainstream labels put out and I can understand that
Oh, so you're defending the right of other people to be offended who may or may not be offended? What a waste of your time

fair enough, but that doesn't detract from people genuinely into it saying that. the gy in the op getting annoyed with the ADTR or whatever it was I get, but people genuinely meaning that aren't like that generally
People who love ADTR and have been to a couple gigs aren't genuine when they say they're really in to music? They're maliciously lying, lulling us all in to a false sense of security so one day they can shock the world when they reveal they're not actually that in to music at all?
Quote by willT08
lolnah

sorry your radio culture sucks bro. i'm gonna bang on Rinse now

Oh, so you're defending the right of other people to be offended who may or may not be offended? What a waste of your time

People who love ADTR and have been to a couple gigs aren't genuine when they say they're really in to music? They're maliciously lying, lulling us all in to a false sense of security so one day they can shock the world when they reveal they're not actually that in to music at all?
Me too. Not all of it is mind you. Just most of it.

Obviously there's no objective way of judging how "into music" someone is, but if they're what you describe, that's considerably less so than someone who dedicates a large amount of personal time to learning about, listening to, seeing live etc. You know this.
ha-haaa
Page 1 of 3