wld-kid
1,020 IQ
Any body any experience opinions on this guitar ? I'm playing 2 years so not an expert but I seem one being sold for 600 euro it's white so it's my fav style of les paul but could you give me advice ? Are they good sounding guitar ? or would I be better buying the ephiphone version if I'm going for the cheaper les paul version ...
wld-kid
1,020 IQ
Here's more info from the add..

Made in Japan
Solid Maple Top
Solid basswood Back
Set basswood Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
White/Black binding on body & headstock
Two Volume - Two Tone Controls
Gold hardware
Tokai PAF MK2 Pick
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ +1

tokai does a range of guitars from cheap to super-expensive, and it's not always obvious which it is to the untrained eye (even to the trained eye a lot of the time ). And the people selling them are always certain they have the most expensive model, for some reason

EDIT: ^ do you have a link to the advert? As i said, claiming it's MIJ and its actually being MIJ are sometimes two different things.

If it is an MIJ one I'd take it over a (non japanese) epiphone in a heartbeat. Assuming it's in good condition.

EDIT #2: solid basswood back? MIJs don't have basswood backs.

Solid basswood neck? WTF?
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 16, 2013,
ChrisN
I signed up for this?
201 IQ
Tokai

I do love my Epi LP (mainly coz I've had it so very long), but every Tokai I've ever played has been better than any Epi I've played.
404: Sig not found.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Thanks

I'd want better pics than that. It does seem to have the 2-screw trussrod cover, which normally suggests a japanese model (though according to the UK tokai site, the cheaper non-japanese custom also has a 2-screw TRC, so ), but it has other things that make me not sure and I'd want to see bigger pics.

Your best bet is to make a thread on the tokai registry forum and ask there. Include the link to the advert. They know way more than I do about authenticating Tokais.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/

EDIT: ^ it shouldn't have a basswood neck or back if it's japanese-made, it should be mahogany. I've also never heard of a basswood neck, it's not strong enough to make necks out of (I think).

EDIT #2: ooh the guy's in bray. that's a nice part of the world. Or at least a nice part of ireland
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 16, 2013,
wld-kid
1,020 IQ
Yea man bray is nice ! Ah **** it seems like a lot of hassle finding stuff out etc I might just save up that bit more for the Gibson version !
gerrywm
570 IQ
Tough one to call, If you are looking for a Tokai from adverts look up DonDons ads (Guitarshopeurope is the shop name). I used to get guitar lessons off him and he used to import toaki's - he has some lovely one's and he is sound out. He gets in Chinese and Jap models, both are very nice, he had a white MIC Les Paul custom before that would knock the socks off any Epi I have played
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)