Im looking to upgrade my whole recording set up from a ux2 and a dell I just bought a MacBook for.school so I figure I may as well drop the extra money on a interface. I've done my research pretty set on a tascam us800 I can get a used omw for about 200$ use and for a 8 in interface that's a hell of a deal. But from reading reviews it seems a lot of people have problems with them.and the drivers and sseems to reporting.problems from PC's id be using.this with pro tools and a new MacBook with largest osx im wondering if ill be plauged with the same problems? Anyone have any experience?
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
**Don't know.why it posted twice. Probably because im.on my phone.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
The US-800 isn't an upgrade at all from your UX2. The only thing you're getting is 4 more mic preamps... But they're pretty mediocre preamps that are on the same level as your UX2, maybe even worse. The conversion is about the same and the driver support is worse.

What are you planning on doing with it? Do you need that many inputs?

TBH, at $200, there's not really anything that's a huge improvement over your UX2. Unless you absolutely need more inputs, there's really no point in wasting money on something that's very close in quality
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I posted this a week or so back, looks like the deals are all still there: http://store.apogeedigital.com/store/index.php/special-deals.html?limit=all

If you don't need the extra inputs, the original Duet will be a HUGE step up from the UX2 and it's only $250 for a factory refurb.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I just bought a MacBook

You should have spent less money on an overpriced shiny PC and more on your recording gear...

US-800 gives you a lot of mic preamps for the money, it's certainly a worthy upgrade if you want more inputs and outputs without spending a fortune.
In terms of general quality it's not going to sound much different from your UX2 or indeed anything else in the price range. So it depends why you want a new interface really.
Quote by kyle62
You should have spent less money on an overpriced shiny PC and more on your recording gear...

US-800 gives you a lot of mic preamps for the money, it's certainly a worthy upgrade if you want more inputs and outputs without spending a fortune.
In terms of general quality it's not going to sound much different from your UX2 or indeed anything else in the price range. So it depends why you want a new interface really.

Overpriced shiny pc? im a digital media student i do alot more with my mac than use to produce bed room recordings...and i also have a pc as well. And im looking to up my recording past the ux2 i figured this tascam 800 thing was a little fishy being so cheap. what i want to be able to do is be able to mic up a drum kit because the ux2 that is not happening. i want something i can still plug into my computer as a interface for recording. I know fourscite makes good interfaces with expectional pre amps but there only seems to be a 4 input i don't really need more than 6. i want to be able to continually make professional quality recordings.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Last edited by OurRequiem at Sep 16, 2013,
Well this is irrelevant now. Talked to my audio engineering teacher and I've decided on a presonus firestudio...good thing I got a Mac because PC users are generally the only ones who report problems with these units...
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
The argument of mac v pc on these boards is an ongoing and never ending one.

You'll be fine as long as you don't play the "holier than thou" mac owner. Just don't do it and there won't be a problem. Try not to take it too personally.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire

You'll be fine as long as you don't play the "holier than thou" mac owner. Just don't do it and there won't be a problem. Try not to take it too personally.

PC vs Mac is everywhere. Most people.seem tto be elitist but like I said I use both platforms just seems.Mac is more stable.and handles interfaces better.

Anywho. Regarding the presonus fire studio im looking at one for 200 used im.wondering if.its a goodnidea to go.used with these things because 1 its cheaper 2 I don't.need all.the "free" software the brand new one comes with.

Sorry foe the periods and grammar damn phone key boards
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by ChemicalFire

Far better to be a Holier Than Though PC owner.

At least that way you're right.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I just don't think the product is worth the price and I don't like how locked down it is.

Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with macs as a bit of technology mind.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I just don't think the product is worth the price and I don't like how locked down it is.

Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with macs as a bit of technology mind.

Agreed. I personally hate the OS but it's 100% personal preference if people have the money to spare.

Unless you're one of those Mac advocates who insists they're inherently 'better' for audio/video/creative work, which is a load of bloody nonsense.

For miking a drum kit on a budget I think the US-800 looks fine.

I've got a US-1800 and it performs admirably, preamps have plenty of clean gain and 14 onboard analog inputs (without needing any external ADAT hardware) is practically unique. Mine blew up after three months but on the whole they seem to be fairly reliable. Presonus generally offer slightly better sound quality but they offer less features for more money, making it a tough sell for me.

PS: People make WAY too much fuss about preamps. At lower price level you should focus primarily on features and practicality.
If you're looking to make professional quality recordings, the quality of your interface is... off the top of my head... about the seventh most important thing, behind:

1. knowledge and experience
2. great mics
3. a great room
4. great monitors (for mixing)
5. a great musician
6. a great instrument

Yep. About #7.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
If you're looking to make professional quality recordings, the quality of your interface is... off the top of my head... about the seventh most important thing, behind:

2. great mics
3. a great room
5. a great musician
6. a great instrument

Yep. About #7.

CT

Assuming everything works well, yes, I'd say that's accurate.

That being said, if your interface has horrible driver support, it doesn't matter how much knowledge, mics, treatment, etc. you have, if you can't actually record anything because of audio dropouts, incompatibility, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
True enough. I'm just observing that this person wants to make great recordings, but is conspicuously silent on the myriad of other things that are much more important than the quality of interface.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris

2. great mics
3. a great room
5. a great musician
6. a great instrument

Yep. About #7.

CT

yeah is that the question i asked? "where is the quality of the interface land in the list of most important things to make quality recordings?" i wanted to know more about a interface not your opinion. OH WAIT your totally right I SHOULD go out and find a house with A GREAT ROOM and buy that instead! because this guy says A GREAT ROOM is more important than a quality interface! AND forget upgrading that line 6 pod just buy a custom built guitar and that will make up for the shit drivers! dude. kindly piss off.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by kyle62
Agreed. I personally hate the OS but it's 100% personal preference if people have the money to spare.

Unless you're one of those Mac advocates who insists they're inherently 'better' for audio/video/creative work, which is a load of bloody nonsense.

For miking a drum kit on a budget I think the US-800 looks fine.

I've got a US-1800 and it performs admirably, preamps have plenty of clean gain and 14 onboard analog inputs (without needing any external ADAT hardware) is practically unique. Mine blew up after three months but on the whole they seem to be fairly reliable. Presonus generally offer slightly better sound quality but they offer less features for more money, making it a tough sell for me.

PS: People make WAY too much fuss about preamps. At lower price level you should focus primarily on features and practicality.

thank you for some decent advice and actually ansewering my question!

With that said, i think im going to go with presonus because they do seem higher quality and i don't want to invest in something that might blow up, ontop of that you can daisy chain presonus fire studios together for more outputs. i don't think the presonus is outrageous in expense wise, yes the tascam 800 is cheaper but you get what you pay for. ONTOP ONTOP of that i use a fire studio in my audio engineering classes so im already familarized with working with them.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem
yeah is that the question i asked? "where is the quality of the interface land in the list of most important things to make quality recordings?" i wanted to know more about a interface not your opinion. OH WAIT your totally right I SHOULD go out and find a house with A GREAT ROOM and buy that instead! because this guy says A GREAT ROOM is more important than a quality interface! AND forget upgrading that line 6 pod just buy a custom built guitar and that will make up for the shit drivers! dude. kindly piss off.

You said you wanted to, in your words, "continually make professional quality recordings." I gave you advice very important and very specific to that desire.

From my experience, all of us, when we get into this, have similar ambitions - to make great recordings. We go into that minefield with the belief that "if I get this one thing, I will be well on my way." I thought, when I bought my first edition of Cubase back in the day, that I was going to make pro recordings in my bedroom. After some learning, I found out that there were many other factors that were much more important. Sorry for anticipating the possibility that your optimism might be as unfounded as most of the rest of us when we first started out.

I'm not sure why you're giving me a response that one would expect from a 12-year-old with a chip on his shoulder, unless of course, that's what you are.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Sep 21, 2013,
Quote by axemanchris
You said you wanted to, in your words, "continually make professional quality recordings." I gave you advice very important and very specific to that desire.

From my experience, all of us, when we get into this, have similar ambitions - to make great recordings. We go into that minefield with the belief that "if I get this one thing, I will be well on my way." I thought, when I bought my first edition of Cubase back in the day, that I was going to make pro recordings in my bedroom. After some learning, I found out that there were many other factors that were much more important. Sorry for anticipating the possibility that your optimism might be as unfounded as most of the rest of us when we first started out.

I'm not sure why you're giving me a response that one would expect from a 12-year-old with a chip on his shoulder, unless of course, that's what you are.

CT

I hate using this forum.because people like yourself come in and say stupid question this is what you should be worried about. Im asking opinions and advice on an interface. Not your guidance.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem
I hate using this forum.because people like yourself come in and say stupid question this is what you should be worried about. Im asking opinions and advice on an interface. Not your guidance.

I'm sorry, but he offered VERY valid advice. Perhaps you hate using this forum because you're unwilling to actually listen to what people are telling you, rather than wasting money on something that's not an upgrade.

NO WHERE in his post did he say that you have to go out and buy a house with a great room. I know Chris, and he's referring to TREATING your room acoustically. He gave you a list of items you should focus on first, before spending more money on a poor interface.

You claim you want to mic a drum set. Have you forgotten to factor in the fact that you'll need to buy all those mics to actually record 6-8 inputs at once?

Chris's mention of a great room is ABSOLUTELY relevant to your question - Because if you're planning on recording drums in an untreated room, with cheap microphones, don't even bother. Get a drum VSTi and be done with it. Record drums is not cheap and you won't even come close to the quality of a good VSTi anywhere close to your budget.

As far as your question about the Presonus interface - Yes, it's an upgrade over what you have and over the Tascam interface you were looking at, but I would not touch a Presonus interface with a 30 foot pole. I have owned several of their interfaces in the past and they had, by far, the worst driver support of any manufacturer I've ever bought from. While they eventually ended up fixing most of the issues I was having, they were always one of the last developers to release those fixes. A shame... because out of all of the lower end interfaces I've owned, they had the best mic preamps IMO.

Well, that just about sums up this thread, and now I'm going to close it, since you can't seem to be civil in your responses and are acting like a whiney, immature child. If you really hate using this forum, then take your negativity elsewhere and complain to someone who cares
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com