Hi all I'm Jim and I was instructed to try my thread here as I might get better replies.
I recently purchased I new(old) guitar and don't have a clue what make it is. I think it's a les Paul style and has a "split diamond" but not the classic one. Any help properly identifying this would be greatly appreciated.
Here are some pics

Thanks again best regards Jim
Quote by whoomit

Thanks bud that's a damn sight more than I found! So it's possibly an oldschool rep then? That would explain the tremendous amount of interference buzz I get :-/ I'm thinking of swapping the HBs out for warmans I'll probably go destroyers or something else with a reasonable output. What would you suggest?
Definitely a Kay - Les Paul Copy.

My girlfriends father gave me the same model back at Christmas time. Mine still has the original features and buzzes to high hell.
The worst is the Low E which vibrates pretty badly when you get to about the 12th Fret.

As its a gift and a first guitar I don't want to get rid of it. Might turn it into a bit of a project when I get a bit of cash.
Meat for the Beast

Check out my Wordpress Blog
Possibly a Cortez (or any number of Japanese imports from the late 70's/ early 80's). My brother had one around '88; the 'arched' top was a bent piece of plywood glued to a flat-top body
My suggestion is don't spend too much money on fixing it up.
Moving on.....
Quote by HippieMagic
Those strings look older than me.

Tbf they are cutting in a bit! This is as I got it so no cleaning or modding yet
Quote by sinofian
Possibly a Cortez (or any number of Japanese imports from the late 70's/ early 80's). My brother had one around '88; the 'arched' top was a bent piece of plywood glued to a flat-top body

Lol I like it! The eastern style of manufacture always kills me!
Quote by thestaticboy
Definitely a Kay - Les Paul Copy.

My girlfriends father gave me the same model back at Christmas time. Mine still has the original features and buzzes to high hell.
The worst is the Low E which vibrates pretty badly when you get to about the 12th Fret.

As its a gift and a first guitar I don't want to get rid of it. Might turn it into a bit of a project when I get a bit of cash.

I like the old soft sound you can achieve by tweaking the hbuckers but in fairness I have no serious fret rattle.... Maybe your bridge is set too low? Slap me if I'm wrong I am but an amateur
Quote by KenG
My suggestion is don't spend too much money on fixing it up.

So it's a non starter then unless I can get some decent tonality?
What do you think to this other guitar I grabbed at the same time (£40) I like it for the floyd rose bridge in nothing else
Quote by bizzle25
I like the old soft sound you can achieve by tweaking the hbuckers but in fairness I have no serious fret rattle.... Maybe your bridge is set too low? Slap me if I'm wrong I am but an amateur

To be honest, you're probably right. I'm still a beginner so you probably know more than I do.

Before he gave it to me, he pulled the whole thing to pieces to clean it up and polish it up. He meant well, but I think that putting it back together, things are not set as they should be.

Its keep coming back to Intonation the more I read online. Just a bit concerned to tweak something then cause more issues.

Got me an Ibanez as a descent replacement, but would love for this to be playing as it should. Cheap as it may be.
Meat for the Beast

Check out my Wordpress Blog
Quote by thestaticboy
To be honest, you're probably right. I'm still a beginner so you probably know more than I do.

Before he gave it to me, he pulled the whole thing to pieces to clean it up and polish it up. He meant well, but I think that putting it back together, things are not set as they should be.

Its keep coming back to Intonation the more I read online. Just a bit concerned to tweak something then cause more issues.

Got me an Ibanez as a descent replacement, but would love for this to be playing as it should. Cheap as it may be.

I've tweaked strat-style copies but they are relatively easy (just 2 small hex pieces per string) I'm not so sure on how to do it on this style of bridge :-/ maybe one of the veterans can help???? I've got an oldschool ibanez myself but the fret is warped so I need a new neck :-@ not good and certainly not clever lol