I could get them for the same price used so I'm just wondering what would be the better choice. I played them both and the 6505 sounded dry and didn't have enough gain, could these be a bad speaker or tubes? The spider sounded pretty good to me I play mainly metal. Would the peavey need a distortion pedal?
It really depends, the Spider is definitely the more versatile of the two but I personally prefer the 6505+ for most metal.

The 6505+ shouldn't need any distortion pedal, though a boost pedal to tighten it up is a pretty common thing. The one you played could just have issues, or you could not like the 6505+. I would try to play another one or confirm the one you played was alright, because they normally are great for metal and IMO should have a better tone than the Spider, but you may feel differently.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dementiacaptain
It really depends, the Spider is definitely the more versatile of the two but I personally prefer the 6505+ for most metal.

The 6505+ shouldn't need any distortion pedal, though a boost pedal to tighten it up is a pretty common thing. The one you played could just have issues, or you could not like the 6505+. I would try to play another one or confirm the one you played was alright, because they normally are great for metal and IMO should have a better tone than the Spider, but you may feel differently.

What would be a good boost pedal? I dot want to spend too much money.
Quote by frank.victoriou

Probably the cheapest would be a JOYO vintage overdrive, but all you really want is a TS (tubescreamer ) style pedal. You can get an original Ibanez/Maxon Tubescreamer for somewhere around $100 normally, but the JOYO is $40 and is almost identical to the original.

If you want more flexibility in your OD pedal, you could try the Digitech Bad Monkey, they have a bit more variety control wise. Also very cheap used.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
How loud did you play it? A modelling amp should adjust it's voicing for lower volumes whereas the Peavey will have a more natural reaction, pure tubes need cranking!
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
bad monkey is pretty nice for the money. a little more versatility than the joyo (which is a straight ts clone, whereas the bad monkey is a glorified clone-ish).

^ the 6505 has a shitload of cascaded gain stages in the preamp. Unless you're playing it at whisper volume (and even then) it should have shedloads of distortion.

EDIT: here's a thought- did you dial it in right? peavey confusingly calls its volume and distortion knobs "post gain" and "pre gain" respectively. "Pre-gain" is the distortion knob, and "Post gain" is the volume knob.

Just in case. It's caught me out before.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 16, 2013,
Quote by frank.victoriou

Or make your own, keeps the costs down for great tone.
Silverburst
I would like to play at lower volumes, just playing in the room for now. I'll go check them out later this week and mess with the peavey.
There should have been enough distortion to play most metal. Think of any metal band today and the amount of distortion you hear. There should actually be more distortion on tap than most of these bands even use. The tubescreamer isn't even being used to add distortion. It just tightens the lows and gives you a more percussive and immediate attack.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
They will both take work to dial in, but the 6505 will take more money to dial in. The trade off is that the 6505 can potentially be more sonically rewarding. At low volumes, maybe not so much though.

At a minimum a 6505 needs an OD in front and an EQ in the loop to get it sounding like you think a 6505 should. +1 to the Digitech Bad Monkey, it's an excellent OD on the cheap. For the EQ, I'm quite fond of the Danelectro Fish & Chips, it's dirt cheap and it's actually quite good.

On top of that you will probably need a noise gate. I'm a huge fan of the Boss NS-2. A Decimator will work as well, if you don't mind the lack of control/options.

The SV won't need any of those things, but they take longer to actually dial in to get good tone out of. It also can't be ignored that it's just a totally different beast - you're comparing a straightforward tube amp to a DSP, basically.

They both have their pros and cons. I own a 6505 and a Vypyr Tube. It's not an extremely helpful answer, but yeah... just get as much play time on them as you can.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
when I tried a 6505 I was casually A/B ing different amps at low bedroom levels and it did seem dry compared to a spidervalve/th30/dsl40 and a dt50 at that level of volume so I know what he is saying. BUT I think you cant really compare them at that level of volume. Im shy when I go to the guitar store and don't get loud. My next amp purchase is going to be from GC and im going to use there 30 day return policy on every cool used amp I come across take it home and play it.
Quote by Insanity ninja
Or make your own, keeps the costs down for great tone.

I'm not sure a kit would be any less than a bad monkey or similar?

Quote by sg4ever
The tubescreamer isn't even being used to add distortion. It just tightens the lows and gives you a more percussive and immediate attack.

it does add distortion if the level is set high. but normally the gain on the amp is rolled back to compensate. it's creating distortion in a different part of the circuit (early on rather than later without the boost), which a lot of players prefer, especially at lower volumes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just stopped in to say that Offworld nailed this thread.

I'm not a fan of the Spider Valve. If you have a Spider Valve and a 6505+ on your list then I suggest adding a tubed Vypyr 60 or 120 to your list. It kind of sits in the middle of those two amps if you ask me and relatively strait-foward and easy to dial in.
Quote by Dave_Mc

it does add distortion if the level is set high. but normally the gain on the amp is rolled back to compensate. it's creating distortion in a different part of the circuit (early on rather than later without the boost), which a lot of players prefer, especially at lower volumes.

I guess I shouldn't have said it that way. I meant that more so in that you're not really using any more distortion than without the pedal. If you turn the gain back on the amp and use a tubescreamer, it's basically the same amount more or less. It's just tighter sounding to do it that way. I probably have less credibility in that area, because I play with power tube sag all the time now...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
The Spider Valve may be ok if you have a few months to spare trying to create decent sounding patches. I have been assured that it is possible to make them sound ok but I've never heard one that does. The 6505 will work for you as it came from the factory. Of course though, they will benefit from better tubes and speakers.

Not enough gain from a 6505? Either you out of your mind or it needed tubes. People stick overdrives in front of them to change the tone but to get more distortion? No, just no.

Buy the 6505 and new tubes and a Bad Monkey. Later when you can afford it replace the speaker (or buy a nice extension cab)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks everyone I'm gonna go check them out for a few hours today. My guitar has Seymour Duncan blackouts and a gain booster so that should be enough. Most likely end up getting the 6505 if it will be better in the long run.
Quote by sg4ever
I guess I shouldn't have said it that way. I meant that more so in that you're not really using any more distortion than without the pedal. If you turn the gain back on the amp and use a tubescreamer, it's basically the same amount more or less. It's just tighter sounding to do it that way.

no worries, agreed
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by frank.victoriou
Thanks everyone I'm gonna go check them out for a few hours today. My guitar has Seymour Duncan blackouts and a gain booster so that should be enough. Most likely end up getting the 6505 if it will be better in the long run.

For most people it may be, but that's not a catch all. For you it may not be. I've owned a ValveKing, 5150, JSX, 6505... and now I'm saving up for a POD HD.

I think at the end of the day it's all just GAS... and there are no winners in the game of GAS. The only winning move is to be tonedeaf.

Dimebag and Schuldiner won GAS.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 17, 2013,
Quote by frank.victoriou

I have Blackouts in my main guitar and run it through a 6505+, and I still find myself using a TS-9. As others have stated, it's not for more gain; it's to tighten up the distortion and make it more punchy and precise.

That becomes less necessary as volume is increased, but by the time my rig starts to sound tight without the TS-9, it is already at ear-damaging levels...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
if you need more gain than a 6505+ you are just deaf, or the amp is ****ed up. i never needed to put the pregain over like 4 or 5. i sold it a few years ago and am looking to pick up another 6505+ head when i find the right one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you need more gain than a 6505+ you are just deaf, or the amp is ****ed up. i never needed to put the pregain over like 4 or 5. i sold it a few years ago and am looking to pick up another 6505+ head when i find the right one.

The first time I tried it I used different guitars but I couldn't get a good sound I don't think I was turning the pre gain up. I brought my guitar in yesterday and messed with the settings and I loved it. That amp has more than enough gain for me lol
^ yay i called it

it really doesn't help calling the knobs by confusing names
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yay i called it

it really doesn't help calling the knobs by confusing names

OP i am glad you figured that out.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Still better than Marshall, IMO!

When I was trying out SL-Xs, I was like "WTF is Preamp Volume!?"

"Gain" is way better than "Volume".

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
Still better than Marshall, IMO!

When I was trying out SL-Xs, I was like "WTF is Preamp Volume!?"

"Gain" is way better than "Volume".

Troglodyte.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc

You can get a soundalike of an EP boost, with added Bright and Fat switches for about £30, or an unbuffered TS clone for about £35. It gets cheaper if you're good with veroboard and buy the components in yourself instead of the kits
Silverburst
well sure, but i mean if he doesn't know how to do that he has to buy all the soldering equipment too. You can get a bad monkey for around £25 on e.g. thomann.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's true, but if he has the gear you can be getting an £80+ pedal for less than half the price, was just a thought
Silverburst
well sure, but i mean a bad monkey is a glorified tubescreamer anyway. that's not to say you can't get slightly better if you spend more, but even at the price of the bad monkey, diminishing returns set in pretty quickly, if you ask me...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Insanity ninja
That's true, but if he has the gear you can be getting an £80+ pedal for less than half the price, was just a thought

it is true, but not everybody is interested in that. he seems pretty new and would probably be better off of with a cheap OD, like a bad monkey.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!