not as sexy as it seems. i have a gibson sgj that i'm trying to put massive strings on, probably 12s or 13s since i'm in Bstandard at the highest. however, even with 11s the strings don't fit into they nut slots all the way on the lower four strings. anyone have any tips on widening the slots?
If you want to do it yourself, you can get a set of nut files.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
There are nut files out there. Cheap. At one point, Rondo Music had a set for about ten bucks, but I don't see them on the site at the moment. Email Kurt. Maybe he's got a set lying around somewhere. Cheaper are as good as expensive if you're not doing a lot of nut work and if you ever walk around with your tools.

In a pinch, you can actually use a wound string of the proper size as an emergency file, but it's a bit of a PIA to do things that way <G>.

Quick note: Your strings really should NOT drop all the way into nut slots -- that'll just cause you tuning issues. Ideally, you should have about half the string in, half out. StewMac/Dan Erlewine disagrees with me and suggests 2/3 in, 1/3 out. But never "all the way in."

See the bottom of this: http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=page&id=78
Go to the hardware store and buy a set of welding torch tip cleaners. You can get them for 5 bucks and it'll give you a large selection of tiny, tiny little needle files that are perfect for making adjustments to nut slots with.

The stewmac files are ridiculously priced.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by dspellman

In a pinch, you can actually use a wound string of the proper size as an emergency file, but it's a bit of a PIA to do things that way <G>.

I did this when I wanted put my older, cheaper guitar in drop C. I don't know how much easier it might be with the proper tools, but it only took a few minutes of sliding the low C back and forth for a decent fit.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Go to the hardware store and buy a set of welding torch tip cleaners. You can get them for 5 bucks and it'll give you a large selection of tiny, tiny little needle files that are perfect for making adjustments to nut slots with.

The stewmac files are ridiculously priced.

This. The little cleaner things for paint guns works great too.

Be very careful when messing around with the nut slots - if you just too deep, at the wrong angle, or don't finish off the cut by rounding it, you can seriously screw up the nut and it's almost impossible to fix without just getting a new nut. Go really slow and only take off a tiny bit of material.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.