Anyone here any good at improvising at the keys?

There doesn't seem to be as much out there on improvising for keyboard as there is for guitar. The difficulty is getting both hands to be interesting at the same time. The first strategy I came up with was to use stereotyped accompaniment patterns in the left hand to outline a set of chord progressions and let the right hand go crazy, but that gets a bit dull after a while, putting the accompaniment in the right hand and letting the left hand go crazy varies things up a bit but it's the same problem.

One thing I've worked at a bit is improvising slowly in a style reminiscent of two-part species exercises, it's not as musical as the accompaniment and free hand option though.
Are you going to improvise alone or in a band? If in a band, you may not need to play anything with your left hand - many times improvisation on keyboards can be just single notes. And sometimes keyboardists just play chords and their improvisation is more rhythm based. I'm not that great at keyboards though.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Alone.

I know it is permissible to play single note lines but it feels a bit too easy and a waste of the resources in front of me to do that all the time. Reportedly in times gone past players of keyboard instruments were capable of improvising entire fugue's on the spot, I don't necessarily want that extreme level of facility but I can't be completely crazy to imagine their must be a way of having both hands do their own thing in a semi-free way.
Take a look at John Medeski from Medeski, Martin and Wood. He is a god at improvising and has great hand independence. For three legs of tours the whole band did shows with one set of their normal stuff and jams then a second set of improv. To write a three set of albums live then went and recorded them after each leg of the tour.

I'm not too good at keys as I only play them when I producing beats with a friend or I'd offer some advice.
The way you mentioned neitsche happens to be a great way of doing homophonic jazz improv. If you want to start improvising chorales or fugues, you need to start thinking in voices. Studying grad ad parnassum is a fantastic way to start thinking of music in this way.

EDIT --> also studying the inventions and sinfonias are a good way to start improving your improvisation abilities.
Last edited by Erc at Sep 17, 2013,