Hi, I purchased a new guitar recently, it's an Ibanez RG450, and I've been noticing that the E string makes a very sour note if you lift off of it. It's not really a sour note, it's more like a really bad feedback sound. I would live with it, but it's extremely noticeable. So if I repeatedly play a powerchord on 3, 5, 5, and lift off to mute it, I will get that sound.
Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? Is it an issue with the strings (as everything on this guitar is new), or is it just a technique problem (which I've been working on, as I now play seriously)

Thanks a lot!

By the way, I don't think it's the amp, because I just got a Mustang II, and it does it on that amp too!

I don't keep the gain up that high, either.
The harmonic by the third fret is ringing when you're lifting your fingers off. Assuming you're using your first, third and fourth fingers to play the power chord, add your middle finger next to the first when muting.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
The harmonic by the third fret is ringing when you're lifting your fingers off. Assuming you're using your first, third and fourth fingers to play the power chord, add your middle finger next to the first when muting.

Yes that helps, thanks. It's a little awkward for now, but I'm a quick learner.

Is this more or less noticeable on different guitars?
It's odd that you'd notice it on one guitar and not the other. Try it on the other one, it might just be more obvious on the new guitar. If it has pickups with more output that'll be a contributing factor. Could be the pickup height, could be the newer strings, could be lower string action.

Too many factors to say what it is, but there'll be multiple ways to get your technique to play smoothly and the only way to improve that is to keep practicing!
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by ploxxies
Yes that helps, thanks. It's a little awkward for now, but I'm a quick learner.

Is this more or less noticeable on different guitars?

probably, yea. it'd depend a bit on how nicely the guitar handles harmonics.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Lavatain
It's odd that you'd notice it on one guitar and not the other. Try it on the other one, it might just be more obvious on the new guitar. If it has pickups with more output that'll be a contributing factor. Could be the pickup height, could be the newer strings, could be lower string action.

Too many factors to say what it is, but there'll be multiple ways to get your technique to play smoothly and the only way to improve that is to keep practicing!

I was playing on a Squire lmao. This guitar does have a lot of built in gain, and lower string action (may need to be adjusted, because it sometimes rattles).

Thanks to both of you for your answers!
I'd actually say that this is fairly normal. It sounds like you have a higher output guitar. As a result, when you make mistakes (and, not to be unkind, but letting harmonics sound when you lift off the string is a mistake); it will be more noticeable. As Lavatain suggested, adjust your technique to prevent the harmonic from sounding.

I guess I'm a bit more conscious of things like this myself, because I do have a guitar with active pickups. However, it's something all guitarists probably encounter when going from a lower-ish output pickups to a guitar with higher output pickups.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'd actually say that this is fairly normal. It sounds like you have a higher output guitar. As a result, when you make mistakes (and, not to be unkind, but letting harmonics sound when you lift off the string is a mistake); it will be more noticeable. As Lavatain suggested, adjust your technique to prevent the harmonic from sounding.

I guess I'm a bit more conscious of things like this myself, because I do have a guitar with active pickups. However, it's something all guitarists probably encounter when going from a lower-ish output pickups to a guitar with higher output pickups.

Thanks for the input. Like I said, I'm trying to work on my technique a lot! Hopefully I'll get used to it