I can perfectly compose music on my own with a year of studying music theory and technique. However, I cannot for the life of me fully learn a whole song and commit it to long term memory. Also I have the hardest time learning how to sing other's songs and learn them together. Its the most frustrating part of learning guitar for me, because it's such a critical part to grow as a musician.

What are some techniques that have helped you to learn & commit to memory full songs? And if you could elaborate on how you learned how to sing them in parallel, that would really help me
Learn the guitar part first, when i mean learn it. I mean really friggin learn it to the point where you can execute it automatically without effort.

Then learn the vocal part and concentrate on getting it as good as possible.

Put both thogether. If you have a good trained voice i guess you could just add the vocals as soon as you have the guitar part down, but you probably don't.

How do you learn full songs? You sit down and learn them.
I understand where you are comming from since im a chronic adhs song learner. Usually a phrase or a couple bars really captivate my attention and once im done learning them i move on and never get to learning the full song.

However there is no secret to this. You learn part by part put them together. That's it. Discipline yourself. Use your will. GG
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Sep 18, 2013,
Quote by ambeasttt
I can perfectly compose music on my own with a year of studying music theory and technique. However, I cannot for the life of me fully learn a whole song and commit it to long term memory. Also I have the hardest time learning how to sing other's songs and learn them together. Its the most frustrating part of learning guitar for me, because it's such a critical part to grow as a musician.

What are some techniques that have helped you to learn & commit to memory full songs? And if you could elaborate on how you learned how to sing them in parallel, that would really help me

I cheat.....i don´t care how it looks but I Always have a note stand with a book with the text and tabs. Bought a low black stand and it´s hardly noticable. We do between 30-40 songs, 2-2,5 hours Worth of Music and I´ll be f*cked if I can remember both text and Music to all of them.....it´s usually the text that gets me and then I get insecure and loose where I am in the song on the guitar...and that makes for a big mess!!....I used to be really insecure about having the note stand there...but now I just make a Little joke about having altheimers-light and no one´s really seems to care...and I´ve seen my bassist sneaking a peak every once in a while too so!?!?!

...I have a musician friend that only does his own stuff....he claims it´s easier when you write and compose it and normally they only do about an hours Worth of Music.....but his recommendation is having a cheat sheet down by your feet....the lines and frases that you know you screw up on and the basic chords and so on
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
If you cheat, you'll always have to cheat. The best way to learn is to practice without words or chords written down. Use them to start, then cover them up and try again.

One trick for lyrics is to memorize (or write down) the first line of each verse/chorus. If you get the first line, the rest will usually follow.
I think learning music on the sheet is easiest way to memorize. For example, if your just reading tabs and learning timings and stuff from play along, notes are just "fret 5 on string 6", and not an "A" note.

Even though we played off sheet music, we easily memorized it after a week of practice, by Thursday we had to play and sing with music sheet, solo, in front of everyone like a performance, and on Friday we would have to play it solo, while alone in teachers room with no music sheet, like an audition. You can try that system on your own. You memorize something when you have to play it front of everyone in class.

I would try learning to sing and play off memorization from songs that you just play chords on like LeRoy Brown, Blow'n in the Wind, Like a Rolling Stone or Puff the Magic Dragon! That is how I originally learned to memorize songs. Start with like 60-80 speed, and learning to change stroke on correct words.