I have an Egnater Vengeance that is making a peculiar buzzing noise. Its been doing it for some time, but I didnt notice how intense it was until I bought a second amp and realized my new amp was dead quiet. Can anybody help me figure it out?

Here are some facts:

-This is how it sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flT13f-pqyU&sns=em
-It doesnt occur when the amp is on standby. It only starts up once I select either the 60 watt or 120 watt mode and can begin playing.
-the buzzing doesnt increase in volume if I increase the volume on my amp.
-i have two amps plugged into the same splitter and jack. Only the egnater does the buzzing. Also, I used to the have the egnater in a different jack, and it buzzed then too. This has been occuring for some time.
-i tried two different main power cables. It still buzzed the same. Neither caused buzzing in my other amp.
-buzzes with all three of my guitars, and buzzes the same on both clean and lead channel.
-i listened to some examples of microphonic tubes. It doesnt seem to sound like that. The tubes in my amp are jjs, and theyre about 3 years old. (Suspect?) the tubes seem to work fine though, and they sound good.
-no knobs on the amp improve or ameliorate the buzzing. It is unaffected.
-i have tried two different speaker cables and the buzzing persisted. My other amp didnt buzz with either of them, or with my cab (carvin legacy 412)

Could this be an internal grounding issue with the amp? I hate to say it, but for a little while, I had the amp plugged into a jack without proper grounding. It used to shock me a little if i rested my arm on the strings, so then I moved my amp and found a new jack. I dont see how that would have affected the ground permanently though. Any ideas?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Bump. If you guys need more info let me know. I could really use help with this
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Have you tried swapping out the preamp tubes to see if it makes a difference?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think your preamp tubes are probably ok since the volume of the buzz doesn't increase with volume. Maybe try some new power tubes and/or a new PI.
Did you bypass the loop? Assuming yes, and since the knobs have no effect, the problem is occurring in the power section (this includes the PI). A bad PI tube or non-matched power tubes can cause hum. Poor grounding within the amp could do it, too, but I would be very surprised if it is a design issue.

Easiest thing is to put in a different PI tube (swap it with one of your preamp tubes, or put in a new one). Once you rule out the PI and loop, install a set of matched output tubes and set the bias (take it to a tech if necessary).

Good luck.
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance
Engl powerball v1. Its amazing.

I'll try moving the tubes around. It must be the PI. I think I have a mixture of different kinds of preamp 12ax7s tubes in there. Some jj and some ruby.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Sep 19, 2013,
I know this is an old thread that I made, but I am still having this issue to date. Does anybody have any other recommendations that could remedy this? I sent in a tech support question to egnater; hopefully theyll get back to me. I tried different tubes in the PI but that didnt help either.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Sounds to me like something which should be grounded, isn't. If it doesn't change with volume, I would guess that means it's part of/after the power amp section. If it is a grounding issue like that, the only way to tell exactly where it is is to open the amp up and look at everything in and after the power amp. It could also be interference, somehow only coming in at or after the power amp. Possibly a slightly microphonic element in one of the power valves? Either way, there is nothing you can do from the outside of the amp which would induce or stop noise like that, so you're going to have to open the amp up one way or another.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hey Watterboy,

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. Opening up an amp can be potentially dangerous (as in lethal) and I wouldn't do it unless you know what you are doing and know what to look for. I do have a Blog in my profile on biasing amps which has some extensive safety tips you can review if you feel so inclined. You should also refer to your owners manual on whether or not your warranty would be voided by taking the chassis out.

I would create a thread in the Egnater forum on Rig-Talk. Bruce and his son, Ian, frequent that forum a fair bit and you might get some traction/visibility to your problem there.

Good luck,
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 23, 2014,
Alright. Thanks for the help guys. Ill try to take the problem there next.

Jeff
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69