I snagged this a couple days ago off of Craigslist. The gentleman was a lefty and had a few right-handed guitars around for when his friends came over to jam, but he said his friends weren’t coming around to jam much anymore. He had this and a ProTone Strat, but I’ve always wanted a Thinline Tele, and for the price, I couldn’t pass it up.

It’s got a bound ash body (top is not veneer either, the grain is really nice), satin maple neck, gold hardware, and a white pearl pick guard that’s just a little too flashy for my taste.

He said it’s all stock to his knowledge (it’s a ’96 and he wasn’t the original owner) but I was a little surprised to open it up and find 500K pots in there (500K is just a bit too bright for the Tele single coils in my opinion). The electronics actually seem pretty decent, though I may do some upgrading in there when I swap in 250K pots (probably a whole new harness). It plays very well, though the satin maple neck isn’t so much my thing at the moment, having played the gloss maple for as long as I have. The binding is sweet, though not perfect, and the guitar is really light (as one might expect with a Thinline). These were made in Korea for only a couple years, and I’d put them on par with the MIM Tele’s, not quite the MIJ in terms of build quality. All in all, I haven’t decided if it’s a keeper yet or not. I’d really love an American Thinline (the natural ash finish with body binding and a maple neck), but I can’t decide if the price point on those is really all that justified considering what I got with this guitar. It’s on par with my ’95 MIK Sheraton, and I absolutely adore that guitar, so maybe this one will hang around and grown on me a bit. That said, here’s what I’m *considering* for upgrading:

1) 250K Pots and Jaguar knobs (the gold knobs aren’t really my thing)
2) Wiring harness with new switch and jack
3) New pickups (I haven’t quite decided on a set yet)
4) New bridge and tuners – I’ll probably do the GFS bridge, as I’ve liked those in the past, and some Wilkinson locking tuners
5) Possibly a new neck – I found a gloss maple neck with blocks and binding (I’ve never used the company’s products though, they’re called Guitar Parts Zone)
6) Probably a black pick guard.

Those upgrades will probably end up costing me as much as I paid for the guitar, so that’s kind of an issue in my mind. The neck doesn’t need to be done, and this one is getting a pretty fantastic aged look (aged maple necks look great in my opinion), the rest has to be done though, so I’m easily looking at $100 in changes.

Anyway, these really are very cool guitars. I guess I missed out on the ProTone craze a couple years ago (when they were selling for like $500 on the Bay). If I had some cash laying around, and if I were at all a Strat guy, I’d actually consider picking up the ProTone Strat he has up as well (he has it up for $250, which seems like a decent deal).

Apologies for the not-so-great pictures - lighting in my house is pretty awful, and the sun hasn't been out in like a week.

Gotta love a nice Squier.

OffsetOffset
Ooooooof, that's a nice looking Tele. Digging the top. HNGD

Really though, that's not a gaudy looking tele...

THAT'S a gaudy telecaster.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That Tele is insane I can't even imagine playing something like that!

I have a hard time with gold hardware unless it's pretty tarnished - it just feels to snazzy to me I think. I'm not really a snazzy guy.
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
That Tele is insane I can't even imagine playing something like that!

I have a hard time with gold hardware unless it's pretty tarnished - it just feels to snazzy to me I think. I'm not really a snazzy guy.

Just start wearing a scarf indoors. That's pretty snazzy. Or if you're like me and your sweat is ridiculous, you'll go through that gold plating in no time

You never know, you might grow to like the gold if you decide to keep the guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That's beautiful, man.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Just start wearing a scarf indoors. That's pretty snazzy. Or if you're like me and your sweat is ridiculous, you'll go through that gold plating in no time

You never know, you might grow to like the gold if you decide to keep the guitar.

Haha, I'll buy a leather vest with it and just go bare-chested with the scarf. I've totally worn through the gold on a couple bridges in the past, and liked the resulting wear, so you might be right about holding on to it. The saddles on this are atrocious though; if not the bridge, those at least have to be replaced.

Thanks BladeSlinger!
OffsetOffset
Nice grain, nice color! And a thinline semihollow to boot? SEXY!

Easily one of the nicest Squiers I've ever seen. HNGD!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks, Danny and Greg! Yeah, I'm seriously shocked at this being a Squier. I know the CV and VM series Squiers are nice, but the fact that it's ash with a natural top and it has binding - it's a looker. I guess they're called "bordellocasters" which makes it sound kinda nasty.
OffsetOffset
Nice Tele. Not gaudy in the slightest.

Admittedly I'm not usually a fan of gold hardware (usually the exception being LP Black Beauties) but that's something I would happily possess!
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
i like it!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
that looks sweet HNGD
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
oh wow, that's really nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Trans red and gold hardware is in no way gaudy.

HNGD
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
I'd never call that a gaudy guitar -- you've got a gorgeous piece there, and I'd certainly not try to grunge it up just because that's the current fashion. Leave the 500K pots on there and use the tone knob, which is no more than a simple treble rolloff.

I'm thinking that you'll not be improving the guitar in any instance with your checklist of changes; my suggestion is that you simply move it on if you dislike it.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 17, 2013,
Dude, if that is your idea of "gaudy," then you obviously haven't been to L.A.!

Great looking guitar! And you simply cannot go wrong with a good Telecaster! HNGD! Enjoy the hell out of it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks, everyone! Maybe it just seems gaudy with the gold and pearloid to me, I'm glad you all dig it though.

I am going to hang onto it, and I'm only going the change a few things:
Black pickguard, new bridge, 250k pots (I prefer them in a Tele, despite the argument here to just use the tone knob), and a replacement gold cover for the neck pickup. Basically, I'm going to get the guitar a little more to my taste, nothing huge, just little changes.
OffsetOffset
Quote by Ippon
Very nice Tele. Congrats! I have the same model but the original owner replaced the neck PU with a P90 and it has a bit more bite.

Thanks, man!

I had actually considered dropping a Filtertron in the neck, but then I realized that this was the only standard-style configuration Tele I had around at the moment.
OffsetOffset
I wouldn't put a FillerTron in that...but there's nothing wrong with upgrading to a better singlecoil pickup. Check out Vintage Vibe or Rio Grande.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Good suggestions! Yeah, I think I'm still having a little GAS for the Reverend Buckshot, but it wouldn't be fair to take that out on this guitar
OffsetOffset
Exactly!

Quote by FatalGear41
Dude, if that is your idea of "gaudy," then you obviously haven't been to L.A.!

...or Nashville <G>.