This is my cover of Van Halen's 'Eruption'. I first started playing this track about 10 years ago and over the years its been changed and honed to get it as close to the original sound and feel as possible.

Let me know what you guys think, don't forget to 'Like' it if ya do, If I get good feedback I can post more and maybe do video lesson's.

So I've just realised I have no idea how to embed a video into a post... If Anybody can help it would be hugely appreciated!
Last edited by stockdale3 at Sep 17, 2013,
Thanks D_M_I

Yeh you are right about the tapping, I actually didn't focus enough of my attention on the tapping, I spent more time getting the feel of Eddie's non-tapping playing bending and sliding because it just seems to be much more expressive and unique compared to the tapping which is pretty done to death and much simpler to emulate.

I might have another bash at it at some point to get the tapping more accurate to the original.
Dude... That is friggin awesome! I wish i could play like that.
They say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you it's schizophrenia.
Quote by stockdale3
Thanks D_M_I

Yeh you are right about the tapping, I actually didn't focus enough of my attention on the tapping, I spent more time getting the feel of Eddie's non-tapping playing bending and sliding because it just seems to be much more expressive and unique compared to the tapping which is pretty done to death and much simpler to emulate.

I might have another bash at it at some point to get the tapping more accurate to the original.

Ain't that the truth, lol. It's a simple fix based on your ability though. The rest was better than I expected to be honest. There are so many bad covers of this out there.
Yeah, in fact I'm pretty sure I had the tapping part pretty exact when I started learning it then over the years its slowly adapted and morphed away from the original into what I play in the video.

It most likely because It took so much more time to get the start right, that every time I got to the never ending B string arpeggio's of doom I just stopped critically looking at them. Even though that's the bit that I probably started learning it for, getting the attitude and feel of the first 56 seconds is MUCH harder and to my ear's seem's more important.

thanks xgispert!
Thanks you've got some good covers to, guns n roses are my all time favourite band. Fancy giving me a few YouTube likes (if ya do like em that is) and I'll send some your way.
Thanks weirdzaid, I used a Digitech whammy pedal to copy the dive bombs I've put more details about the gear I used in the YouTube description. Check out tom morello he basically uses that pedal all the time. It's a harmonizer / Octaver put in an expression pedal to control the pitch.
Last edited by stockdale3 at Sep 24, 2013,
From the start, I notice the tone is very good, and similar to the original. You play the song very well and get all the subtleties just right. I agree with what you say about the feel of the first 56s being important. This is where most covers of Eruption fall down. as everyone just focuses on the tapping part. Anyway, it's certainly not like you played the tapping part sloppily, just a little different to the original, which is fine by me. Excellent cover.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31944372#post31944372