Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone has some good suggestions on a affordable snare with a deeper range. My drummer has been playing Picolos for a while for the pop but as we are now moving more into the Hard Rock sound from our previous hard rock/Rap Rock grooves a deeper sound will cut better and sound better in his mix and match his drums as he used to have them tuned a bit tight. Looking at $150 range used probaly unless a deal new comes around and We live in Norfolk VA with a Guitarcenter nearby. Looking for suggestions towards models or whatever to keep an eye open for. thanks.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
I don't personally own one, but Ludwig Acrolites are highly acclaimed snares that fit perfectly into your price range in the used market.
I know that a new Mapex MPX would fit roughly into that price bracket, however have never actually tried one.

If you're lucky, you might be able to find a used Mapex Black Panther snare used in that price range. If you do, it'd be well worth the purchase, they are fantastic sounding and incredibly long lasting snares
There are an innumerable amount of options for him to choose from. It is impossible to give you a logical answer with so little information. Does he prefer wood or metal snares? Is he looking for attack or sustain? It really boils down to him going to the local drum shop and playing on as many as he can. I personally play a maple Black Panther for Doom, Stoner Rock stuff, but that is my opinion. Have your drummer formulate his own opinion and find something that fits what he likes.

Used is always a better option. The only thing I ever buy new is sticks.
Used Pork Pie Big Black Brass.

Really nice pop, but lots of body
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cool thanks guys was just looking at suggestions right now we went back to the 5x14 PDP he has with his set that is cutting it a bit better than the picilo. I know he was ideally hoping to go wood. I'll look at thos and if I see one I'll let him know. Thanks yeah I know it's like anything it's prefernce and what you like but wanted some starting points or things to keep an eye out for.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Check out Pork pies version of ludwigs superphonic. its about 200 I think. and as far as the sound youre looking for heads and tuning will get you there. Prolly remo controlled sound head with a 20 strand strainer.
I've always loved the Mapex Black Panthers. They retail probably $200-$300 but you could probably find one used for a decent price.